Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Online Checkin Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Emirates Online Checkin Questions

I am wondering EK's online checkin system operates.

Is it still possible to schange seats online after completing online checkin as on some other airlines?

What would the explanation be for most seats being assigned a few hours (12) before online checkin opens? Do some passengers categories get assigned automatically because I doubt so many people are on flex fares or paying for seat assignments.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Yes you can change after you have checked in online. Online check-in opens 48 hours before departure, anyone without a seat assignment is automatically given one, even if they haven't yet checked in. This is my assumption.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Bulk seats cannot be chosen online, thus appear as assigned, while they are simply blocked.
Some seats may be reserved for partner airlines.

After OLCI, you can change the seat assignment. But, when the flight is overbooked, some time before the flight, you can no more change anything.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: QF Plat, NZ Silver, EY, EK, SQ & UA
I have a flight to DXB that opens for online check-in in about 2 hours.

Is it better that I have my Skywards Blue number in to see if I get an upgrade offer (£ not miles) rather than my QF Gold number, which is currently in?

I'll need to change back to my QF Gold as need the extra baggage allowance and lounge access.

Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by tm84
I have a flight to DXB that opens for online check-in in about 2 hours.

Is it better that I have my Skywards Blue number in to see if I get an upgrade offer (£ not miles) rather than my QF Gold number, which is currently in?

I'll need to change back to my QF Gold as need the extra baggage allowance and lounge access.

Thanks!
I don't think there have been any reports of the OLCI upgrade offers being tied to status. There might be speculation of such, I don't know if there's merit to this though. Also QF status generally reflects in EK systems equivalent to EK status of the same tier AFAIK, et can probably shed light on this
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I don't think there have been any reports of the OLCI upgrade offers being tied to status. There might be speculation of such, I don't know if there's merit to this though. Also QF status generally reflects in EK systems equivalent to EK status of the same tier AFAIK, et can probably shed light on this
I totally screwed it up. I didn't do it in the app but on a desktop and I didn't see it until I'd already clicked forward. Now it says I can't change my booking online! Idiot!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:11 am

Thank you by the way @skywardhunter.

About an hour after I checked in I got an email upgrade offer for the DXB to ADD leg (which I'd checked in for) and when I click it won't let me buy it. I also got another email upgrade offer for an upgrade for £385 for DXB to LGW on my return journey. Weird because on the app it says "not available for upgrade".
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by tm84
Thank you by the way @skywardhunter.

About an hour after I checked in I got an email upgrade offer for the DXB to ADD leg (which I'd checked in for) and when I click it won't let me buy it. I also got another email upgrade offer for an upgrade for £385 for DXB to LGW on my return journey. Weird because on the app it says "not available for upgrade".
You can try calling, informing that you got the offer and it won't process and see if they let you do it via phone, I've seen reports here of that working, however it may also be that there were limited seats and someone else was faster.

In the app when it says "not available for upgrade" you presumably refer to miles upgrade (as this is to my knowledge the only screen this text appears), whereas this is a paid upgrade, which is different (and different inventory requirements)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
You can try calling, informing that you got the offer and it won't process and see if they let you do it via phone, I've seen reports here of that working, however it may also be that there were limited seats and someone else was faster.

In the app when it says "not available for upgrade" you presumably refer to miles upgrade (as this is to my knowledge the only screen this text appears), whereas this is a paid upgrade, which is different (and different inventory requirements)
I've had the upgrade offer fail due to use of a promo code or AMEX discount when booking the original ticket, they sent "messages" to Dubai from the local contact center and were unable to resolve because it was Eid - they op'ed up an empty J abin to completely full, based on the announcements (this was MNL-DXB)

I got 10K miles for my trouble when it was "sorted" after the fact.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Qatar Platinum
I've had the offer fail online, called the contact centre and they needed a screenshot to prove I got the offer sent to me. After I sent that they processed my upgrade in about half an hour. It was a mileage upgrade offer though, not paid. Paid was an option for me too, it also failed to work, but I didn't progress that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.