Discovery Vitality Booking

Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:42 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Flame3601

Update: Only economy tickets are valid for the discount , no J/F seats.
Well, then there is no point doing this, isn't there? You can stop wasting your time going to the gym....
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
It's like a 20 or 30% discount but only the base fare which ex SA is like 40% if the total fare. So ultimately like a 8% discount. + The same flights I was looking at on EK for 9k were 16k on Discovery last week + no multi city.

Another good option is ebucks, also only on base fare (I'm on the level where I get 20% off) and you can do multi city but again I wasn't able to get the same starting fare as in EK. For other flights in the same date I got the price of R9k but after discount it was still R8400, so only 7% effective discount.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:54 am
pdh

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It's like a 20 or 30% discount but only the base fare which ex SA is like 40% if the total fare. So ultimately like a 8% discount. + The same flights I was looking at on EK for 9k were 16k on Discovery last week + no multi city.
I cant say I have had the same experience

I get 30% off because of my tier which usually works out to 26% off after discovery adds what I guess is an admin/booking fee.

I always check with the emirates website at the same time.

I dont know if you are talking about the standard bank discount for business class and economy which is based on the base fare ie hardly any discount
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:47 am
Original Poster

My discount was on the total fare. Worked out to be ~25% after discoveries admin/booking fee.

A really great discount if you are booking Y seats and are happy with whatever fare class is cheapest at the time.

Only limitation is that there are limited tickets bookable per year (I think 2 per person) and you can only book for family members on the same medical aid (who share your vitality status).

On an unrelated note, looks like there might be enough South African's on here to justify a little meet-up! Hoping you are all in Cape Town
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by pdh
I cant say I have had the same experience

I get 30% off because of my tier which usually works out to 26% off after discovery adds what I guess is an admin/booking fee.

I always check with the emirates website at the same time.

I dont know if you are talking about the standard bank discount for business class and economy which is based on the base fare ie hardly any discount
No I meant Discovery, hm I better try again, but the lack of multi city meant I couldn't use it for the trip I booked this week.

Originally Posted by RichardAtCT

On an unrelated note, looks like there might be enough South African's on here to justify a little meet-up! Hoping you are all in Cape Town

I was thinking the same, a Cape Town meetup is definitely overdue! Maybe in September?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:26 am

Just want to add, SA Amex Plat card holders get 30% off for any class.

Last edited by MT_Switch; Jul 17, 2017 at 3:38 am Reason: Fixing error
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by MT_Switch
Just want to add, SA Amex Plat card holders get 30% off total fare for any class.
This is on base fare though, got a quote from the Amex desk a few months ago
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:37 am

This is on base fare though, got a quote from the Amex desk a few months ago
My bad, didn't check. At least you can use it for any class and don't need to jump through Vitality hoops.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:56 am
pdh

As we are on the SA topic.

Are there any credit cards that earn skywards miles available for SA citizens.

Im also a British citizen (but no physical UK address) if that matters.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by pdh
As we are on the SA topic.

Are there any credit cards that earn skywards miles available for SA citizens.

Im also a British citizen (but no physical UK address) if that matters.
I wish

Even SA Amex MR don't transfer to EK. I quite like ebucks though, managed to get a few free tanks of petrol that way.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Just confirmed that the Vitality discount does appear to be on the whole fare.

Random booking from CPT-LGW. Normal price R9 186.29 (confirmed as a special ticket on Emirates.com), Vitality price is R7 110.89. Works out to be a 23% discount after the Vitality booking fee.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Well, then there is no point doing this, isn't there? You can stop wasting your time going to the gym....
Haha yes ! Not worth keeping in shape if a chance of a discounted F/J fare is not on the horizon !

Another good option is ebucks, also only on base fare (I'm on the level where I get 20% off) and you can do multi city but again I wasn't able to get the same starting fare as in EK. For other flights in the same date I got the price of R9k but after discount it was still R8400, so only 7% effective discount.
Yeah , well now that i can not use the discount for F/J, i will not be so interested in international bookings. I see Investec is offering me a "35%" discount , however these will most likely come back as ironically more expensive or just a tiny bit cheaper - a bit like Amex. However the discount is actually not too bad on domestic sectors , think i can live with the odd discounted Kulula/BA flight ! Sorry kids back to the gym on that bombshell , even if daddy does not save his 200 rand he will still get a free vida caffe or a small popcorn at SK !

Originally Posted by RichardAtCT
Just confirmed that the Vitality discount does appear to be on the whole fare.

Random booking from CPT-LGW. Normal price R9 186.29 (confirmed as a special ticket on Emirates.com), Vitality price is R7 110.89. Works out to be a 23% discount after the Vitality booking fee.
Not too bad , there is real value in it for people looking for economy tickets with a discounted margin !
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:21 am
pdh

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Yeah , well now that i can not use the discount for F/J, i will not be so interested in international bookings. I see Investec is offering me a "35%" discount , however these will most likely come back as ironically more expensive or just a tiny bit cheaper - a bit like Amex. However the discount is actually not too bad on domestic sectors , think i can live with the odd discounted Kulula/BA flight ! !
I keep my status and get my points solely to get cheap domestic flights with Kulula.

I probably save around R10k a year on domestic flights

Emirates is just an added benefit
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: EK Plat
A meet up in CT sounds a good plan!
On the subject of discounts, Diners offer 25-30% off J and F. It only applies to Flex and Flex Plus but it is a genuine discount. Although there is a booking fee.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:41 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by gillyd22
A meet up in CT sounds a good plan!
On the subject of discounts, Diners offer 25-30% off J and F. It only applies to Flex and Flex Plus but it is a genuine discount. Although there is a booking fee.
That sounds good, both the Diners discount and the CPT meet. I'll be back early September.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.