FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Emirates business lounge access denied? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1847216-emirates-business-lounge-access-denied.html)

karim787 Jun 9, 2017 10:06 am

Emirates business lounge access denied?

I am looking to book a flight with emirates that has a 4 hour stopover in dubai. I have upgraded the first leg of the flight to business as ive always wanted to experience it and the second leg in economy to save some money. Im only 16 though and while im allowed to travel on my own it says on the emirates page that people under 18 or 21 are not allowed in the business lounge. Its really dissapointed me as that is one of the reasons i wanted to book the flight. Does anyone have any experience on the enforcement of this? I realise it may be as they have an open bar with alcohol but i wont be drinking any. Has anyone flown before and been denied access to the lounge?

Yoshi212 Jun 9, 2017 10:21 am

Welcome to FT. I'm going to request a MOD move this to the EK forum for better attention. Sadly this is a common problem with lounges. I was denied a few times when I was in my teens and it was rather annoying but an understandable legal problem as they don't want to be held responsible if someone were to drink underage. This can be a rather sticky situation depending on the location of the lounge.

One workaround is to ask someone to "guest" you in even though you already qualify as a business passenger. This can be done at both your origin and and connection point. Just be tactful about it and explain that because of your age you need an adult to enter and don't expect them to watch over you.

karim787 Jun 9, 2017 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 28422935)
Welcome to FT. I'm going to request a MOD move this to the EK forum for better attention. Sadly this is a common problem with lounges. I was denied a few times when I was in my teens and it was rather annoying but an understandable legal problem as they don't want to be held responsible if someone were to drink underage. This can be a rather sticky situation depending on the location of the lounge.

One workaround is to ask someone to "guest" you in even though you already qualify as a business passenger. This can be done at both your origin and and connection point. Just be tactful about it and explain that because of your age you need an adult to enter and don't expect them to watch over you.

Unfortunately i dont know anyone that could do that but i will have to ask random people! I dont know if my height helps but i do look over 18 just wondering if they will ask for id?

MSPeconomist Jun 9, 2017 11:53 am

I'm not sure it's a good idea for a teenager traveling alone (no matter how tall!) to approach a stranger, especially to request a favor.

OTOH, many responsible adults would refuse to serve in the host role to a random underage person as it could be misinterpreted or the adult could have trouble if the teen were involved in any incidents (even if the teen did not cause the issue). In fact, I won't even guest adult strangers into a lounge because if something happens, it could be tied to me and my FF account (with not only miles and status but also credit card information on file).

karim787 Jun 9, 2017 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28423353)
I'm not sure it's a good idea for a teenager traveling alone (no matter how tall!) to approach a stranger, especially to request a favor.

OTOH, many responsible adults would refuse to serve in the host role to a random underage person as it could be misinterpreted or the adult could have trouble if the teen were involved in any incidents (even if the teen did not cause the issue). In fact, I won't even guest adult strangers into a lounge because if something happens, it could be tied to me and my FF account (with not only miles and status but also credit card information on file).

Maybe a little cash might convince some people? As you can tell im just desperate to get into a lounge ive paid for! Im not going to drink or cause trouble just a few snacks and sit down and relax

Yoshi212 Jun 9, 2017 12:06 pm

The staff won't need to ask for ID. Your travel info will pop up when they scan your boarding pass for entry.
It may be awkward to ask a random person but if you do so politely someone may agree. If they decline don't try to push it.

Originally Posted by karim787 (Post 28423322)
Unfortunately i dont know anyone that could do that but i will have to ask random people! I dont know if my height helps but i do look over 18 just wondering if they will ask for id?

karim787 Jun 9, 2017 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 28423416)
The staff won't need to ask for ID. Your travel info will pop up when they scan your boarding pass for entry.
It may be awkward to ask a random person but if you do so politely someone may agree. If they decline don't try to push it.

Would the info of my age be on there as in would they check the age or would it come up in warning or just if an employee notices?

skywardhunter Jun 9, 2017 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by karim787 (Post 28423432)
Would the info of my age be on there as in would they check the age or would it come up in warning or just if an employee notices?

Your date of birth is stored as part of the API (Advance Passenger Information) and thus in the EK System.

There's a lounge meet up thread on here where you can post a request for guesting.

vytas315 Jun 9, 2017 12:24 pm

There's a second issue here. If you only booked business for the first leg, and are in economy on the way out of DXB, you'll only have access to the outstation lounge and not in DXB. My understanding is that lounge access is always based on your departing flight class.

skywardhunter Jun 9, 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by vytas315 (Post 28423483)
There's a second issue here. If you only booked business for the first leg, and are in economy on the way out of DXB, you'll only have access to the outstation lounge and not in DXB. My understanding is that lounge access is always based on your departing flight class.

There are two parallel discussions on this and in the other thread OP clarified leg= segment i.e. the entire outbound incl ex DXB

Yoshi212 Jun 9, 2017 12:41 pm

In the other thread OP clarified that he is flying LHR-DXB-XXX in J and then XXX-DXB-LHR in Y. In LHR he has a better chance. OP also has the option of a 4 hr or 1 hr layover in DXB which I'd go with the 1 hour in this instance.

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 28423485)
There are two parallel discussions on this and in the other thread OP clarified leg= segment i.e. the entire outbound incl ex DXB

HKprince Jun 9, 2017 12:56 pm

I've been to many lounges alone under the age of 18, I'm not so sure how much attention the lounge agents give to your age (probably more at DXB though). I would just confidently hand over your boarding pass at the lounge. I don't think it will be such an issue at LHR. If they deny access, you could then try to get someone to guest you, but i reccomend the OP at least try to get access by himself first. I'm sure the LHR attendants will be sympathetic.

skywardhunter Jun 9, 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by HKprince (Post 28423613)
I've been to many lounges alone under the age of 18, I'm not so sure how much attention the lounge agents give to your age (probably more at DXB though). I would just confidently hand over your boarding pass at the lounge. I don't think it will be such an issue at LHR. If they deny access, you could then try to get someone to guest you, but i reccomend the OP at least try to get access by himself first. I'm sure the LHR attendants will be sympathetic.

I also never had an issue as a kid with SAA and LH, but EK are known and have been reported here before to have denied access. in fact we've got an occasional contributor that famously last year turned 18 and was happy to be allowed into the lounge now, Ahmed, not sure if the exact username.

ioto1902 Jun 9, 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by karim787 (Post 28423403)
Maybe a little cash might convince some people? As you can tell im just desperate to get into a lounge ive paid for! Im not going to drink or cause trouble just a few snacks and sit down and relax

Your idea of giving out cash proves that you are not yet an adult, no matter how developed is your body.
This kind of lack of judgment is the exact reason why underage kids are not allowed in some places.

skywardhunter Jun 9, 2017 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902 (Post 28423771)
Your idea of giving out cash proves that you are not yet an adult, no matter how developed is your body.
This kind of lack of judgment is the exact reason why underage kids are not allowed in some places.

That's the kind of patronising that makes mature kids hate certain adults. Cash isn't the brightest idea but it's a lot brighter than most of the stuff posted on FT

I think you underestimate how hurtful such comments can be to kids, even if sometimes true. In this case I don't think it is.