Search

Ek038 cancelled flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates skywards
Ek038 cancelled flight

Hi all

i thought some of you might might be interested in knowing what has just happened to me and the rest of the passengers on this flight on 3rd June (bhx -dxb)

we boarded the half full flight as normal and it quickly became apoarent there was an issue. The captain came on the tannoy to say there was a technical issue and he would report back to us within half an hour. So we sat on the plane which stayed on the stand and waited and waited and waited. To cut a long story short at 2am 5 hours after we boarded the flight they informed us the plane couldn't be repaired and we had to disembark. We were then transferred on to the next flight which was at 09:40 and told to go through passport control and collect our bags once this was done they would take us on a bus to Leicester (an hour away) to put us up. Due to 3 other flights arriving at the same time meant we were waiting an hour for our luggage to come off meaning it was 3am and we were told by emirates staff that it was too late to transfer us to the hotel.

so there we are stranded in Birmingham airport with no seats no food and a 4 and 2 years old in tow!! Oh the joys of travel!!

So can any any of you shed any light on what we do next in terms of compensation? I know we are entitled to €600 per passenger. But to keep the length of my holiday the same I have had to move my return flight by 1 day (at no cost) and had to pay for the hotel for an extra night which is obviously going to cost me. Not sure how much yet but it's going to be in the region of Ł400.

Just wondered if anyone has had any similar issues.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: EK Pleb
I’m not sure why EK left you sitting on the plane for 5 hours. The plane was going nowhere after 23:00. As far as I can remember (I use to live in Solihull - 10 minutes away from BHX) BHX has night time restriction on flights between 23:00 and 06:00.

A poor show on the part of EK .

Good luck with claiming compensation.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Doubt you'd get much other than. 600EUR, reasonable reimbursement for duty of care expenses (you could have gotten a. Hotel yourself near the airport and claimed possibly) and some miles.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You should get your EU261 payment of €600 for all the people travelling (including children).

Emirates should have provided a hotel and meals. As they have not done this, you can claim these on top of the EU261.

Now.... EK will probably fight the claims, saying it was something out of their control. So, be prepared to go via MoneyClaim Online.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Emirates should have provided a hotel and meals. As they have not done this, you can claim these on top of the EU261.
They way I read the OP is they didn't get a hotel or meals during the delay. No receipt = no claim, although I'm sure they must have had some breakfast at least in the airport.

Fair play might mean EK recompense the extra hotel night at the end of the holiday instead, but I can't see it and it's not a requirement.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Hi, the offer was there for the hotel whilst we were sat on the plane but the delay in getting our baggage off meant that it was not feasible to get us to the hotel and back again in time for checkin for the flight. It was on the recommendation of the on site emirates duty manager that we don't go to the hotel and in fact they sent the buses away empty because of this. I personally can't see emirates honouring the extra night as you are correct it isn't a necessary requirement but there is no harm in trying.

Im struggling to find any info how to claim on the eu216 legislation. Does anyone have any email contact at emirates?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by sow40
Hi, the offer was there for the hotel whilst we were sat on the plane but the delay in getting our baggage off meant that it was not feasible to get us to the hotel and back again in time for checkin for the flight. It was on the recommendation of the on site emirates duty manager that we don't go to the hotel and in fact they sent the buses away empty because of this. I personally can't see emirates honouring the extra night as you are correct it isn't a necessary requirement but there is no harm in trying.

Im struggling to find any info how to claim on the eu216 legislation. Does anyone have any email contact at emirates?
I had a similar tech problem (but got the hotel) - go to the website, contact us and refunds - put flight details in and write asking for details about where they should pay the money.

i got a reply with a waiver to sign asking for bank details and received money about 2 weeks after the incident.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Cheers for that I'll have a look
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: EK Gold
I did wonder what had happened to it, it flew out the following day empty about half two on its way back to Dubai as EK2502.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you, OP.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichL
I did wonder what had happened to it, it flew out the following day empty about half two on its way back to Dubai as EK2502.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you, OP.
dont worry!
I know they said it would be flying back to dxb the next day pity they couldn't have sorted it for us
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:04 am

I'm surprised there isn't any Health and Safety aspect against keeping people in a parked aircraft for such a long time. Surely, once you are past the cut-off time for takeoff, they should have taken you guys back to the terminal.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I'm surprised there isn't any Health and Safety aspect against keeping people in a parked aircraft for such a long time. Surely, once you are past the cut-off time for takeoff, they should have taken you guys back to the terminal.
" Health and Safety"
??
It was a half full A380-plenty of room to move around and no queues for the lavs unlike a full A380 DXB/SYD
SS
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:31 am
Original Poster

The reason they kept us in the flight for so long was there were no hotel rooms available in and around BHX due to the cricket being on at edgebaston and a take that concert at the nec arena. They basically didn't have anywhere for us to go. When they eventually found hotel rooms they were in Leicester which was over an hour away on a bus.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: EK Gold
I'm amazed that, unless there were passengers from greater than say 20 - 30 miles away, they didn't send you all home and pay for taxis rather than trying to find hotels.

I live 20/30 mins from BHX, normally fly J (dunno what they did with J pax and not sure what class you were flying) but I would have asked to go home rather than sleep on the floor in the airport all night.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately we live 2 hours 15 minute drive from the airport. The people who were more local did go home but a 4 and half hour round trip for us just wasn't feasible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.