Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Paid tier status upgrade Gold and Silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid tier status upgrade Gold and Silver

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by ABZSimy
Got the same email a couple of days ago:

Being targeted seems a bit odd, since I am not close to reaching Gold, and have no future bookings at the moment. Current Skywards Miles balance is 154,174, Tier Miles balance is 27,300. I am DXB-based and most of my trips are in Y.

$800 seems steep for limited additional benefits over Silver. I already have Lounge Key and usually never stick for a lounge away from DXB. I believe that leaves extra miles bonus, priority baggage delivery with a few extra kg's, free wifi, and free preferred seats.

Has anyone else received or taken up an offer recently?
I would go for it. The partner lounges offered via loungekey aren't in the same league of F&B offerings in EK and QF lounges.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: Skywards
Wow.

Desperate or what. $800 is steep.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Wow.

Desperate or what. $800 is steep.
Cheaper than the flights required to get you the remaining tier points.
aceboy44 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ABZSimy
Got the same email a couple of days ago:

Being targeted seems a bit odd, since I am not close to reaching Gold, and have no future bookings at the moment. Current Skywards Miles balance is 154,174, Tier Miles balance is 27,300. I am DXB-based and most of my trips are in Y.

$800 seems steep for limited additional benefits over Silver. I already have Lounge Key and usually never stick for a lounge away from DXB. I believe that leaves extra miles bonus, priority baggage delivery with a few extra kg's, free wifi, and free preferred seats.

Has anyone else received or taken up an offer recently?
Nothing to add except good job for searching and finding this thread rather than starting a new one, we often complain about those who don't but rarely take note when people do ^
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:48 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
It is certainly something I would consider doing if in the same position. To go from silver to gold through normal routes would cost a lot more than $800. Plus you get the added benefits that you have mentioned including EK outstation lounge access when travelling Y.

Would your travel pettern with EK over the next year give you your moneys worth?

S
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:56 am

Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts. My travel pattern is somewhat unpredictable, and not always with EK. The route I have flown most frequently over the last year has been DXB-IAH-DXB (4 trips). EK doesn't have its own lounge at IAH, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much there.

I've also done a couple of short hops to DMM recently, where there is no EK Lounge. My next trip is DXB-EBL-DXB with FZ in a couple of weeks, and I can't see there being much advantage having Gold over Silver with FZ. I am still thinking about it though.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:35 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I 'like' to have Gold, but would I pay U$800 for it? I don't think so.
The main advantage (to me) would be lounge access at outstations. But with my credit cards / bank account benefits I can access alternative lounges at the outstations I use most often (CPT, LGW, AMS - in fact that 'alternative lounge in AMS is the same as the EK lounge so no Gold benefit there). And although these are not on the same level as the EK lounges by some distance, I am not that much of a lounge geek that it matters that much.
Of course there is also the extra mileage earning. And higher in the upgrade queue (which has not helped me to date).
Having said all that, I'll probably adjust my travel to ensure I (just) renew Gold next year. Will only require booking one sector in J saver instead of Y flex. And before someone shouts that the difference there is more than $800, yes I know that but there is additional real value in a J seat over a Y seat as well! It does not all go into Gold renewal.

Now if I lost Silver and did not have lounge access in DXB, that would be a real problem.....
XXTSGR likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
I started flying EK for the first time this April. Have 139,600 tier miles so far in 6 months. Unfortunately, due to personal commitments, will not be flying again till mid-December so no chance to make that remaining 10,400 miles to make Platinum before November 30th

I would happily pay $2K or so to make Platinum so I can enjoy the benefits next year - at this year's rate, I'll easily hit 200,000 tier miles next year.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:14 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by bnarayan1511
I started flying EK for the first time this April. Have 139,600 tier miles so far in 6 months. Unfortunately, due to personal commitments, will not be flying again till mid-December so no chance to make that remaining 10,400 miles to make Platinum before November 30th

I would happily pay $2K or so to make Platinum so I can enjoy the benefits next year - at this year's rate, I'll easily hit 200,000 tier miles next year.
If you started flying EK in April, what is the significance of November 30th? As soon as you hit 150K tier miles in a running 13 month period you’ll get Platinum. At least that’s how I understand it works, and how I got to Silver and Gold.....
bnarayan1511 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Right!!! I should have worded it better... I started flying for business in April. I did have a personal trip last November which must have started the clock for me. Never thought I'd fly them again until this April which started a series of 6 SFO-BOM trips in Business class for me.

Thanks for the clarification!

Originally Posted by thijsseh

If you started flying EK in April, what is the significance of November 30th? As soon as you hit 150K tier miles in a running 13 month period you’ll get Platinum. At least that’s how I understand it works, and how I got to Silver and Gold.....
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by bnarayan1511
Right!!! I should have worded it better... I started flying for business in April. I did have a personal trip last November which must have started the clock for me. Never thought I'd fly them again until this April which started a series of 6 SFO-BOM trips in Business class for me.

Thanks for the clarification!
Doesn't matter, it's always on a rolling period, as long as most of your miles were earned from April onwards, if you hit 150k by next April (April to April, inclusive) you will earn Plat.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Doesn't matter, it's always on a rolling period, as long as most of your miles were earned from April onwards, if you hit 150k by next April (April to April, inclusive) you will earn Plat.
Or simply 150k tier miles in any trailing 13 month period
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
What's the current cut off for IO ? is it 500 k or lower?

150000 tier miles in a 6 months is impressive :-()
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
What's the current cut off for IO ? is it 500 k or lower?

150000 tier miles in a 6 months is impressive :-()
There's no published (or defined to our knowledge) threshold. IO is extended to travel policy influencers as far as we are aware on this forum
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
There's no published (or defined to our knowledge) threshold. IO is extended to travel policy influencers as far as we are aware on this forum
Some FT'ers have posted on here when they became here. The lowest I have seen is around 400 or maybe 500 k or so ( average per year)

Ray44 had posted about getting IO after hitting 2 million tier miles over 5 years. (This was around 3 years ago)

​​​​
Obviously policy influencers/company CEO's etc dont have to do this to get IO..

Last edited by ukdoctor; Oct 20, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.