Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transition to new airport in ISB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Transition to new airport in ISB

I doubt anyone here would keep track, but the new Islamabad Airport in Pakistan is scheduled to open on the 14th of August this year, rumours are that test flights and whatnot are to occur in between June and July, and the airport is 90% complete and ready for use, however, my question here is, how would EK or any other ME airline just hop over to the airport? Surely it won't happen overnight, but then again, will there be an interruption in service for a few days while all the airlines shift their equipment, offices, staff etc to the new airport and then have the flights resume from there?

Basically my question is will there be one flight to the old ISB airport, and then the next day, it just switches to the new one? I doubt that's possible and would probably be very inconvenient as well.

Has this happened before in EK's history? Airport switched to a different one in the same city?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I'm mainly concerned about EK since I don't fly the other airlines out of ISB and I have a planned departure in early August (between the 8th and 11th), before the opening of the new airport, and then I am due back in ISB around 25th August, so I assume I'd be departing from the old one and arriving at the new?

Cheers,
murtaza12
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by murtaza12
Has this happened before in EK's history? Airport switched to a different one in the same city?
I'm sure it's happened a few times.

Definitely at Bangalore. I was booked on a flight that was supposed to be leaving from the new airport, but the opening kept getting put back. I called Emirates, and they were as in the dark as I was. A couple of days before I was due to fly, the opening got put back.

It eventually opened a couple of months later - and I was there again, so got to try out the new airport.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:37 am

I doubt anyone here would keep track, but the new Islamabad Airport in Pakistan is scheduled to open on the 14th of August this year, rumours are that test flights and whatnot are to occur in between June and July, and the airport is 90% complete and ready for use, however, my question here is, how would EK or any other ME airline just hop over to the airport? Surely it won't happen overnight, but then again, will there be an interruption in service for a few days while all the airlines shift their equipment, offices, staff etc to the new airport and then have the flights resume from there?

Basically my question is will there be one flight to the old ISB airport, and then the next day, it just switches to the new one? I doubt that's possible and would probably be very inconvenient as well.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I'm mainly concerned about EK since I don't fly the other airlines out of ISB and I have a planned departure in early August (between the 8th and 11th), before the opening of the new airport, and then I am due back in ISB around 25th August, so I assume I'd be departing from the old one and arriving at the new?

Cheers,
murtaza12
When BKK switched from Don Muang International to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, it was done overnight 27-28th September 2006 - flights in the air scheduled to land on the 28th landed at the new airport (flight plans using ICAO aerodrome designators not IATA ones!).

There should already be some ground presence for all operating carriers.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'm sure it's happened a few times.

Definitely at Bangalore. I was booked on a flight that was supposed to be leaving from the new airport, but the opening kept getting put back. I called Emirates, and they were as in the dark as I was. A couple of days before I was due to fly, the opening got put back.

It eventually opened a couple of months later - and I was there again, so got to try out the new airport.
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
When BKK switched from Don Muang International to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, it was done overnight 27-28th September 2006 - flights in the air scheduled to land on the 28th landed at the new airport (flight plans using ICAO aerodrome designators not IATA ones!).

There should already be some ground presence for all operating carriers.
You guys think EK would respond to an email regarding this now, or will they not reveal any details this early?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
You guys think EK would respond to an email regarding this now, or will they not reveal any details this early?
I doubt they'd know for certain.

Two issues:

- will the airport actually open on time, even if 90% complete now? Obviously the 14th if August is an auspicious date and they're planning well ahead for it

- will EK Switch on day 1 (I.e. will the old airport be immediately decommissioned or is there a transition period and maybe EK waits a week? Given how large and important EK is as a carrier I'd expect as an international airline they'd hope EK could fly in on day 1, aside from PIA etc
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:46 pm

Did the overnight change not more or less happen with DOH?

Last edited by Uzair; Jun 2, 2017 at 6:07 pm
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Uzair
Did the overnight change not more or less happen with DOH?
IIRC the switch Hamad was gradual and not overnight and took a couple months to complete, while Suvarnabhumi was overnight so they could go either way.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Given the limited number of flights foreign carriers have to ISB you can expect an overnight switch for a given carrier. If the airports cannot cope/to be on the safe side then what is usually done is that there is a staggered move of carriers, i.e., some carriers will move (with all their flights) earlier than others. E.g., that was done when concourse D opened at DXB.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wtravel
Given the limited number of flights foreign carriers have to ISB you can expect an overnight switch for a given carrier. If the airports cannot cope/to be on the safe side then what is usually done is that there is a staggered move of carriers, i.e., some carriers will move (with all their flights) earlier than others. E.g., that was done when concourse D opened at DXB.
Sounds good, I'm now considering delaying my departure a bit till after the new airport opens just so I can depart from there and arrive back there as well.

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
- will the airport actually open on time, even if 90% complete now? Obviously the 14th if August is an auspicious date and they're planning well ahead for it
Not sure, Government and relevant aviation authorities are aiming for 14th August, but then again, the airport failed to open about 3 times before, in 2012, 2015 and 2016, due to basic issues like no water supply or a decent enough to road to actually get to the airport.
However, this time all that is taken care of, so myself and everyone else is really hoping for a 14th August opening.

- will EK Switch on day 1 (I.e. will the old airport be immediately decommissioned or is there a transition period and maybe EK waits a week? Given how large and important EK is as a carrier I'd expect as an international airline they'd hope EK could fly in on day 1, aside from PIA etc
Aviation authority wants to get everyone out from the old one ASAP since it's being converted to Military airbase / airport for VIPs, diplomats etc, so I don't think there will be time for a transition and EK and others will have to switch overnight.

I suppose I'll keep an eye out on FR24 for some test flights which are supposed to happen next month if everything is on schedule.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:10 am

I think EK will inform pax once they are told the dates definitively: they'll need some notice anyway to get people in place there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.