Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
So, riding from one of the remote stands to the terminal in the J bus, they have a recorded announcement saying "blah blah expanding airport" and then they play this really grand, soaring movie soundtrack-like music.

It sounds like something Hans Zimmer or Trevor Rabin would have composed for a Michael Bay film, as if what we're approaching (T3!) is going to be the most epic adventure. And then they let you off the bus into the chaos of transit security

Anyone find this a bit over the top? Especially when you've been awake for 22 hours because you took the 4am flight out of India?

Then again, what at EK isn't over the top?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Metanoia

Anyone find this a bit over the top? Especially when you've been awake for 22 hours because you took the 4am flight out of India?

And there's your answer...

The real problem is when you're on an extra long bus ride and the music loops back to the beginning!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Metanoia
So, riding from one of the remote stands to the terminal in the J bus, they have a recorded announcement saying "blah blah expanding airport" and then they play this really grand, soaring movie soundtrack-like music.

It sounds like something Hans Zimmer or Trevor Rabin would have composed for a Michael Bay film, as if what we're approaching (T3!) is going to be the most epic adventure. And then they let you off the bus into the chaos of transit security

Originally Posted by extramileage
And there's your answer...

The real problem is when you're on an extra long bus ride and the music loops back to the beginning!
Those long bus transfers are hell. Doesn't help that its usually freezing temperature.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
I see at least in Cape Town dnata are still servicing QR, any thoughts on this? Eternal?

Dnata is part of the Emirates Group so would've thought that's also a good way to punish QR worldwide.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I see at least in Cape Town dnata are still servicing QR, any thoughts on this? Eternal?

Dnata is part of the Emirates Group so would've thought that's also a good way to punish QR worldwide.
Breach of contract = $$$$
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Breach of contract = $$$$
Every contract has an out clause. Maybe notice period?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Every contract has an out clause. Maybe notice period?
For a ground handling contract I'd expect at least a year.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
thanks for your reply, the pool at the so Sofitel did look quite small.
in regards to Sofitel on sukhumvit road, is this a good area to stay in? I've never really explored this area, only visited the shopping centres nearby.
I've stayed at both. The SO was quirky & fun, and if you can secure a poolside lounger early, then you'll be fine. Wasn't there for the pool party however.

The Sofitel on Sukhumvit was your normal run of the mill Sofitel. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

IMO i always prefer to stay on Sukhumvit as it provides ease of access to all the key areas of BKK - plus it's walking distance to most of the shopping, dining & drinking areas.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Seeing as this now the Bangkok thread, any opinions on the Le Meridien? It gets pretty good reviews, and it appears to be quite well placed.

Cheers
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Seeing as this now the Bangkok thread, any opinions on the Le Meridien? It gets pretty good reviews, and it appears to be quite well placed.

Cheers
I like the sukhothai ^
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
For a ground handling contract I'd expect at least a year.
60 days notice is the standard for either party to an SGHA.

Obviously this can be increased during negotiation.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Skywards silver

Cheers
me and the wife are booked into the Le meridian in July, so iam hoping people have good things to say. The reviews it receives seem good.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Skywards silver
Originally Posted by nmc980
I've stayed at both. The SO was quirky & fun, and if you can secure a poolside lounger early, then you'll be fine. Wasn't there for the pool party however.

The Sofitel on Sukhumvit was your normal run of the mill Sofitel. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

IMO i always prefer to stay on Sukhumvit as it provides ease of access to all the key areas of BKK - plus it's walking distance to most of the shopping, dining & drinking areas.
thanks for the reply, finding it difficult to decide on a hotel for NYE, Sukhumvit just has too many bloody choices!!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:11 pm

Cheers
Given the other Marriott/SPG options in Bangkok for a similar price, the Le Meridien is a tragic choice, imho.

You're also very near Patpong if that's your thing.

For me, location is everything in BKK, so it depends on what you are there for.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:51 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I'm flying Jetstar SYD-SGN this week.

Don't know if its even worth the $300 to bump up to their so-called 'J' to sit with all of the cashed up bogans.

sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.