Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
1. Don't ask EK, they never agree to bend the rules, and this answer was foreseeable. You've not been downgraded to Gold yet, so doing anything right now as a reaction would be silly. EK generally says no leeway, then renews if <1000 short. However this has been broadly reported for Gold, not sure about Plat
2. Travelling in premium cabins, would a downgrade affect you so much that you'd rather start from scratch with QR, an airline with fewer flights to CPT, fewer destinations, no access to a lot of the middle east and a worse FFP (if that's possible). To upgrade with miles on QR you need to submit an online request then wait for a few days to hear back. Also you cannot phone as everything went online with them recently
3. If you do get downgraded to Gold try the local SA sales office, rather than sending a mail to EK centrally
I, too, would feel pretty hacked off in that situation. I am a lowly gold whose highest achievement is a mere 120k tier miles! Is there such a difference between gold and plat? Apart from the obvious upgrade/extra miles situ. Perhaps m3red may comment as he is dubious also. On another note, skywardhunter is correct re QR. I have hundreds of thousand miles that I just cannot seem to spend. It beats EK for the worlds worst FFP.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by gillyd22

I, too, would feel pretty hacked off in that situation. I am a lowly gold whose highest achievement is a mere 120k tier miles! Is there such a difference between gold and plat? Apart from the obvious upgrade/extra miles situ. Perhaps m3red may comment as he is dubious also. On another note, skywardhunter is correct re QR. I have hundreds of thousand miles that I just cannot seem to spend. It beats EK for the worlds worst FFP.
having been gold for 3 years plat for 2 and now back to gold I can safely say that there is little difference- and looking back (and I include my F flights today) I get treated better as gold than plat.
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Rant Alert

After arriving home a few days ago, i saw when checking my account that i was 600 tier miles short of a plat renewal. I somehow failed to calculate my tier miles correctly, i know silly mistake, but anyway. I emailed Emirates and let them know i was only 600 tier miles short of a Plat renewal, while mentioning how much i fly with them and how much i have spent on them over the years along with saying that i had been a plat for years. I got a reply telling me today saying after checking with the management team that i need to fly another 600 tier miles or I'm going to be gold in May. I am so pissed off that i had to sit down and have a glass of water, i can not honestly believe that all the money i spent on Emirates and my overall loyalty to the company has resulted in me being shown the door to gold tier over 600 tier miles short. I am actually a bit personally offended to say the least. I know rules are rules and have to be constant, but come on for the love of god, 600 short out of 150 000 and they won't cut me some slack. I am so annoyed that i am considering not flying Emirates again in favour of QR, who are cheaper and actually better in J then EK from CPT anyway. I do have another option to quickly fly somewhere, but it is quite costly for just 600 tier miles, however this thought is kept alive by the thought of losing plat. This has come at a bad bad time for me, but even with future trips booked with emirates they do not care.

What is the general conscious, tier run to renew play by May or lose Plat..... or am i being too petty?
I would probably be a bit annoyed - 600 miles short with a history of flying EK - but on the other hand, they might as well make it 149,400 tier miles to renew: discretion does mean disappointment for some, after all.

I wonder what the statistics are on edge renewal cases.

Does May include the extra 2 months you get?

I don’t think you’ll notice much difference between Gold and Platinum apart from F lounge access!

Feel sorry (world’s smallest violin) for the iOs this year who got bumped down to Platinum - imagine how that conversation goes!

Flame3601 and ElJudioErrante like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Rant Alert

After arriving home a few days ago, i saw when checking my account that i was 600 tier miles short of a plat renewal. I somehow failed to calculate my tier miles correctly, i know silly mistake, but anyway. I emailed Emirates and let them know i was only 600 tier miles short of a Plat renewal, while mentioning how much i fly with them and how much i have spent on them over the years along with saying that i had been a plat for years. I got a reply telling me today saying after checking with the management team that i need to fly another 600 tier miles or I'm going to be gold in May. I am so pissed off that i had to sit down and have a glass of water, i can not honestly believe that all the money i spent on Emirates and my overall loyalty to the company has resulted in me being shown the door to gold tier over 600 tier miles short. I am actually a bit personally offended to say the least. I know rules are rules and have to be constant, but come on for the love of god, 600 short out of 150 000 and they won't cut me some slack. I am so annoyed that i am considering not flying Emirates again in favour of QR, who are cheaper and actually better in J then EK from CPT anyway. I do have another option to quickly fly somewhere, but it is quite costly for just 600 tier miles, however this thought is kept alive by the thought of losing plat. This has come at a bad bad time for me, but even with future trips booked with emirates they do not care.

What is the general conscious, tier run to renew play by May or lose Plat..... or am i being too petty?
Definitely rant worthy.

However, after you pass your requalification date, there's a good chance that you'll get an email saying that you have another month to reach the 150k (although I dont know if there are specific criteria for it to trigger).

This happened to me a couple of years ago, except that I knew I was going to re-qualify a few weeks later anyway.

Not sure if you have plans to fly soon, but thought I'd share this.
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Out of curiosity, does anyone have their face as their profile picture for their Skywards account profile picture. I know you can change this on the app, I wonder also if the crew see this or is it purely a novelty.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Out of curiosity, does anyone have their face as their profile picture for their Skywards account profile picture. I know you can change this on the app, I wonder also if the crew see this or is it purely a novelty.
I do, a selfie in front of a single-engine prop plane, I've briefly seen my profile on the tablet, didn't notice the pic. As far as I can tell it only shows up in the app, not on the website, either.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I do, a selfie in front of a single-engine prop plane, I've briefly seen my profile on the tablet, didn't notice the pic. As far as I can tell it only shows up in the app, not on the website, either.
Same here.

I've had extensive access to my profile on the purser's tablet - did not see my picture anywhere.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by XXTSGR
Same here.

I've had extensive access to my profile on the purser's tablet - did not see my picture anywhere.
Besides notes, personal preference, tier status etc. what else is stored on the iPads ?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR

Besides notes, personal preference, tier status etc. what else is stored on the iPads ?
E.g. whether you've been naughty or nice, travel (and miles) history as well as upcoming sectors/bookings.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:18 am

Just upgraded two Flex Plus Y tickets from WEST EUROPE to DXB for 18,000 miles each. Not an email offer. Couldn't really believe it, so jumped on it.

I then tried a dummy booking (same destination & dates) on the iOS app and the discounted upgrade requirements were visible for both Y to J and J to F (23.4k from Flex and18k Flex Plus)

Is this an ongoing thing?

Haven't seen any marketing for it, but I'm liking the 40% discount.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:20 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by extramileage
Just upgraded two Flex Plus Y tickets from WEST EUROPE to DXB for 18,000 miles each. Not an email offer. Couldn't really believe it, so jumped on it.

I then tried a dummy booking (same destination & dates) on the iOS app and the discounted upgrade requirements were visible for both Y to J and J to F (23.4k from Flex and18k Flex Plus)

Is this an ongoing thing?

Haven't seen any marketing for it, but I'm liking the 40% discount.
One would have expected a big marketing hoohaah about this.
It is certainly not a permanent change in that the milage calculator still shows 30000 for a Flex+ Y to J upgrade (39000 for Flex)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Flex Y to J for DXB-CPT and reverse unchanged unfortunately. Have a few flights with D availability coming up so would've also jumped on a discount if it was available. Might be region specific
Old May 1, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: EK Silver...just
Originally Posted by extramileage
Definitely rant worthy.

However, after you pass your requalification date, there's a good chance that you'll get an email saying that you have another month to reach the 150k (although I dont know if there are specific criteria for it to trigger).

This happened to me a couple of years ago, except that I knew I was going to re-qualify a few weeks later anyway.

Not sure if you have plans to fly soon, but thought I'd share this.
Also similar, albeit lowly Silver. My Silver 'expired' yesterday (30Apr) but they have given me until end of May to get the points (and benefits anyway until end June)...and im flying next week so will re-qualify. FWIW.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
One would have expected a big marketing hoohaah about this.
It is certainly not a permanent change in that the milage calculator still shows 30000 for a Flex+ Y to J upgrade (39000 for Flex)
Indeed. It's shown as "Discounted Upgrade Reward Offer" on my skywards statement.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:35 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Wow, this is crazy! I've just upgraded J-F on EK1 for 23k.

Had already upgraded first leg, CSA said I would most likely not get the first longer leg back in F if they release it to do a combined upgrade for the lower miles. Don't really mind as I've saved myself nearly 50% on the second upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.