Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I'd wager closer to this:
Blue 86.749% (lots of people just register for the sake of it, or fly once or twice a year, but on cheap tickets, like my mother, and never get a whiff of silver, also everyone who used to fly a lot but doesn't anymore and is now blue...)
Silver - 10% (2m is a lot of Silver!)
Gold - 3% (600k Golds...? possible, but might even be less)
Platinum - 0.25% (even 50,000 Plats seems high)
IO - 0.001% (<500 total I'd say)

+ Can they register in-flight online now via the WiFi login to get 20MB free? That would boost the number of Blues for sure.
From what I've seen on a large variety of constant flying on EK is that there is a very rough average of 10 golds on every flight. If one can estimate that a gold flies x amount of flights per year,then it can be roughly calculated how many golds exist.I would guestimate that to be approx 20 flights per year.

when boarding EK flights,I'm surprised the large no. of boarding passes that don't have FF nos printed on them.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
From what I've seen on a large variety of constant flying on EK is that there is a very rough average of 10 golds on every flight. If one can estimate that a gold flies x amount of flights per year,then it can be roughly calculated how many golds exist.I would guestimate that to be approx 20 flights per year.

when boarding EK flights,I'm surprised the large no. of boarding passes that don't have FF nos printed on them.
Agreed in your figures there, more or less. 10 is probably close to the average, some routes are obviously quite a bit more or less. I get Gold from exclusively flying Y which requires 40-45 flights a year (individual legs, not segments), considering one requires far fewer flights in J and F to earn Gold, but also the very large increase in required miles for Play 15-20 is probably about right as an average.

I'll admit to being annoyed when someone tells me they got Gold from 2 return F Trips a year. Makes my 250+ hours in Y seem like a sick joke...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:55 am

Agreed in your figures there, more or less. 10 is probably close to the average, some routes are obviously quite a bit more or less. I get Gold from exclusively flying Y which requires 40-45 flights a year (individual legs, not segments), considering one requires far fewer flights in J and F to earn Gold, but also the very large increase in required miles for Play 15-20 is probably about right as an average.

I'll admit to being annoyed when someone tells me they got Gold from 2 return F Trips a year. Makes my 250+ hours in Y seem like a sick joke...
i get 30k tier miles for uk to Asia F return 👌🏻
thijsseh likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red

i get 30k tier miles for uk to Asia F return 👌🏻
I get the same for 4x CPT to Subcontinent return, and probably pay less!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:07 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK

i get 30k tier miles for uk to Asia F return ����
Same here. 32000 tier miles CPT to LGW on a F Saver.
From a ‘high blue’ (22000) to a ‘low gold’ (54000) in one go. Not very likely I will keep it next year, but I’m basking in the ‘glory’ (or so my wife tells me). Travel wise, I have to admit I’m more ‘silver material’ (that was hard to confess)
Sorry skywardhunter, but I’ll buy you a drink (not necessarily of your choice, if you’re thinking Dom) if we still have a CPT ‘do’ before 5 April.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:10 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I get the same for 4x CPT to Subcontinent return, and probably pay less!
Having heard what you pay for those tickets, that’s undoubtedly true!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Mr Skywardhunter, may I ask why you fly Y so often when QR J fares from CPT to HYD/CMB/MAA/BLR can be so low?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by DatBoi
Mr Skywardhunter, may I ask why you fly Y so often when QR J fares from CPT to HYD/CMB/MAA/BLR can be so low?
I can not speak for Mr Skywardhunter himself, but being CPT based myself i reckon it is due to the long transit time in DOH when flying with QR. I sometimes price up QR, but when it shows a 12hr connection time on both sectors then i pass and go with EK.

From memory at launch thee was about 5,000 plats - not sure if that’s gone up or down but I’m not counting our Ozzie Qantas friends. Make that 4999 as I’m losing plat tomorrow
I am surprised you are losing Plat, you seem to fly paid F the most on here ? I reckon next year i will lose Plat tier, i just renewed this year by about 2,000 tier miles
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DatBoi
They're still more than double what I pay for Y, also I often combine trips into multi-cities where EK beats everyone on price. QR also requires a 14h or so layover one way where EK gets me door-to-door in 16h.
​​​​
I've done the occasional J fare ex JNB. JNB-BOM has incredible J fares, done a HM-ticketed EY J and a MS return, the latter was $700, and included a long layover in a crappy hotel that allowed me a visit to the pyramids while bypassing visa requirements, but generally the convenience of the EK Timings just makes it the best option. I also don't hate Y that much, I lather it on a bit for you spoilt guys here.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601
I can not speak for Mr Skywardhunter himself, but being CPT based myself i reckon it is due to the long transit time in DOH when flying with QR. I sometimes price up QR, but when it shows a 12hr connection time on both sectors then i pass and go with EK.

I am surprised you are losing Plat, you seem to fly paid F the most on here ? I reckon next year i will lose Plat tier, i just renewed this year by about 2,000 tier miles
yes but from Dubai the earnings are terrible - I hit 125k - missed one long haul F flight to Asia that was the difference.

mrsm3red is pregnant so I’ll be renewing gold with 2flights a year now 😂
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:14 am

They're still more than double what I pay for Y, also I often combine trips into multi-cities where EK beats everyone on price. QR also requires a 14h or so layover one way where EK gets me door-to-door in 16h.
​​​​
I've done the occasional J fare ex JNB. JNB-BOM has incredible J fares, done a HM-ticketed EY J and a MS return, the latter was $700, and included a long layover in a crappy hotel that allowed me a visit to the pyramids while bypassing visa requirements, but generally the convenience of the EK Timings just makes it the best option. I also don't hate Y that much, I lather it on a bit for you spoilt guys here.
Take a look at Durban fares to India, some great fares i have seen in the last few month's in J to India.

yes but from Dubai the earnings are terrible - I hit 125k - missed one long haul F flight to Asia that was the difference.

mrsm3red is pregnant so I’ll be renewing gold with 2flights a year now 😂
Firstly congrats on the one in the oven ! I thought you were MAN based and not DXB, that explains it then. To hit plat being DXB based is pretty impressive..
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:19 am

Take a look at Durban fares to India, some great fares i have seen in the last few month's in J to India.

Firstly congrats on the one in the oven ! I thought you were MAN based and not DXB, that explains it then. To hit plat being DXB based is pretty impressive..
To hit Plat being DXB based is very feasible....IF IF IF you fly J/F DXB - gulf dests regularly.I figured that overall its the easiest way to reach plat.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:21 am

To hit Plat being DXB based is very feasible....IF IF IF you fly J/F DXB - gulf dests regularly.I figured that overall its the easiest way to reach plat.
Yeah, but have you seen how much J/F cost Ex-DXB to gulf countries ?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:42 am

Yeah, but have you seen how much J/F cost Ex-DXB to gulf countries ?
of course ..expensive...however if one is top bus exec based in UAE and territory is gulf...as quite a few are....then you can make plat if flying regularly and those can be short trips , even day trips.I see quite a few in that category on intra gulf flights.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
of course ..expensive...however if one is top bus exec based in UAE and territory is gulf...as quite a few are....then you can make plat if flying regularly and those can be short trips , even day trips.I see quite a few in that category on intra gulf flights.
3,500 tier points per RT in J within the GCC, so it takes 43 RT (and say $86k at $2k per trip) a year to reach Plat. Expensive on a $/flight miles basis! (or even per Hr). No more quick day trips to DOH, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.