Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DatBoi
This is an off topic thread so I am going to use it to get some stuff off my chest.
American bloggers (TPG,OMAAT etc..) like to criticise the EK middle seat in J so much and say that even AA/UA/DL and other airlines offer a better product in J - however they always overlook the consistency of always getting a flat (nearly flat) seat in J on EK along with the superior soft product/ICE. When I am flying EK on a 35 min MCT flight or a 17.5 hr LAX flight comfort is guaranteed, the same cannot be said about LH or AA for example.
Nice to see you saying something positive about EK after all the Skysurfers drama

I agree, to me the middle seat has never been such a big deal, it's not ideal, sure, but I completely get it from a business perspective. If EK makes J too good they compete with their own F product. Think about it, it's business class, i.e. for business travellers, people who want rest and efficient transport and a nice meal. If you want luxury, fly First. That's how I feel EK is positioning themselves and I think it makes a lot of sense commercially. As a passenger, selfishly, of course I'd love a QR-style J product, but then we'll end up with more and more 2-class frames until we have a better J but no F at all and certainly no showers. That would suck.
thijsseh and DatBoi like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:10 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Nice to see you saying something positive about EK after all the Skysurfers drama

I agree, to me the middle seat has never been such a big deal, it's not ideal, sure, but I completely get it from a business perspective. If EK makes J too good they compete with their own F product. Think about it, it's business class, i.e. for business travellers, people who want rest and efficient transport and a nice meal. If you want luxury, fly First. That's how I feel EK is positioning themselves and I think it makes a lot of sense commercially. As a passenger, selfishly, of course I'd love a QR-style J product, but then we'll end up with more and more 2-class frames until we have a better J but no F at all and certainly no showers. That would suck.
As a guy who most of the time pays his own J using his own cash earned through investments I see little point in paying for F - but I definitely see value in J, although I am flying F AUH-DFW next month on a paid EY itinerary Ex-CMB so wish me luck.
I fly AUH-MAA about 20 times a year in J and with all the EY cost cutting and recliner on the Redeye MAA flight - I finally decided to try EK and was pleasantly surprised by the comfort of everything on the 4.5 hr flight. I got real sleep and that was a real bonus for me. On the afternoon return flight I also had lots of fun with the wireless controller and ICE. Overall didn’t understand what the American bloggers were on about - as a flight of a similar duration in the US would be flown by an aircraft with a J product with 30 odd inch pitch even less than EY in that regard.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:16 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
I would actually appreciate a 2-2-2 J layout with an open ottoman decked out with EK’s gold, pebbled leather and walnut.
Those seats are my favourite since my feet aren’t stuck in that box and I feel space.
I would arguably choose such a seat over Qsuites.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:36 am

There are only 6 of these middle seats on each flight. Couples won't mind them too much and for me, they are easily avoidable so I agree the downside is overplayed.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: BA BD SA
There are many things I like about Emirates but I hate the middle seat configuration so much that I actively avoid EK in J - even though they have 3 direct flights out of CPT daily. Much prefer QR with its single daily flight, even when they have the 777 on the route. Their 787, of course, is bliss.

Originally Posted by ft101
There are only 6 of these middle seats on each flight. Couples won't mind them too much and for me, they are easily avoidable so I agree the downside is overplayed.
Yes, but there are 12 other seats without direct aisle access and all the aisle seats have someone potentially clambering over them.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:53 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by sydtogla
Haha, will see how generous i'm feeling. Want to hold back some miles for an upgrade next month Although didn't I read that you left your wife in the Marhaba lounge to enjoy the renovations work whilst you visited the Conc. A F lounge?
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Damn, rumbled
How did you live to tell the tale?

​​​​​​​S
sydtogla and ElJudioErrante like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Anyone else also loving the live chat function, such a delight !
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Anyone else also loving the live chat function, such a delight !
I agree, really useful. Though, depending on my location, I still prefer to call.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Skywards silver
Followed, I'll follow others who post their usernames, if you'd like to follow me back my username suggests I'm based in CPT (don't like to post it publicly)
paddycollins84 is me. I don’t post too much of interest am afraid, only travel for leisure.

Last edited by Bouncingsouls; Jan 30, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:10 am

Did anyone else get the Skywards "engagement survey" yesterday? Questions about what you like dislike and want/don't want from the program, so maybe a way to make cutbacks and say that's what the customer asked for!

I think these things are normally subcontracted, but the whole thing was so poorly put together it might have been done by Emirates own IT people.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Did anyone else get the Skywards "engagement survey" yesterday? Questions about what you like dislike and want/don't want from the program, so maybe a way to make cutbacks and say that's what the customer asked for!

I think these things are normally subcontracted, but the whole thing was so poorly put together it might have been done by Emirates own IT people.
I didn't but gillyd did. Apparently it was quite long?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR

Nope - no received this one (yet).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: EK Plat
I didn't but gillyd did. Apparently it was quite long?
yep. Got it. And yes it was long. All about the value of skywards but not really addressing the issues. I completed the survey but doubt they’ll like what they read! As if they’ll take notice😔
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Just reviewed the business class menu and the first class menu for an upcoming flight later on this year as a guideline to know what to expect onboard. EK381 the only difference between the two menus was first gets a cereal choice as for that all the meal options were the same. Just thought that was kinda sad from an EK prospective that they couldn't atleast try to add a few different options for F pax's? One of the reasons i hate flying EK early morning/late evening when the only food service is only breakfast, why pay more for F besides the complete obvious when you can get the same offerings in J ?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Just reviewed the business class menu and the first class menu for an upcoming flight later on this year as a guideline to know what to expect onboard. EK381 the only difference between the two menus was first gets a cereal choice as for that all the meal options were the same. Just thought that was kinda sad from an EK prospective that they couldn't atleast try to add a few different options for F pax's? One of the reasons i hate flying EK early morning/late evening when the only food service is only breakfast, why pay more for F besides the complete obvious when you can get the same offerings in J ?

..Because the complete obvious (more space) = more comfort !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.