Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Business Class Seats Blocked - JFK to DUB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum

Flying EK on work, and just got the tickets - for June 8 on the 380 - and immediately went in to get seats. All I am seeing are the aisle seats available in the main cabin - and a couple open in the smaller one but then reviews say to avoid those since there is a lot of traffic and the bar is right behind.
Question - Should I keep checking to see if one of the window seats open up? Is there a practice of blocking seats or have they really been assigned? I am not familiar with EK, so wanted to check with you all to see what your experience has been. Trust me, not complaining - give me an aisle seat in business over any seat in economy especially when I am flying 15 hours. I am now in 9G.

Thank you for your thoughts,
D
Old May 15, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I find that the seat maps are pretty accurate in regards to if anyone is actually sitting there , best bet is to call EK and see if they can help you out , specify with the front row of the J cabin which is blocked for babies I believe ?

Side note : I hope you are flying to DXB(Dubai ) and not DUB ( Dublin ) from JFK as that would be one hell of a connection, if your title wasn't a mistake 😳
Old May 15, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601
I find that the seat maps are pretty accurate in regards to if anyone is actually sitting there , best bet is to call EK and see if they can help you out , specify with the front row of the J cabin which is blocked for babies I believe ?

Side note : I hope you are flying to DXB(Dubai ) and not DUB ( Dublin ) from JFK as that would be one hell of a connection, if your title wasn't a mistake 😳
Thanks for the pointer and for catching that - yes, it is DXB and DUB
Old May 15, 2017, 8:11 am

The usual is for 7A to 16A to be blocked, along with the bassinet seats and Row 26 (assuming a 3 Class layout). These will be made available either when check in opens or at the airport, but keep checking in case it happens before then.

Contrary to what you've read, the most commented on "best" seats on here are 23A and 23K in the rear cabin. (20A/K on a 2 class).
Old May 15, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately 23A and 23K are gone as well
Old May 15, 2017, 2:48 pm
THR

You can always try and ring and see if they will allocate. They often can over the phone.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by Desirees
. All I am seeing are the aisle seats available in the main cabin - and a couple open in the smaller one but then reviews say to avoid those since there is a lot of traffic and the bar is right behind.
I've never found the back cabin to be overly disruptive. 23 A/K are the best seats, but someone mentioned they aren't available. Failing that, the rows with the seat closest to the windows are also more secluded.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:10 am

Yes it's only just over a month away so what you're seeing is probably a good reflection of whats booked. FWIW I hate the back cabin, it's noisy from the bar and the curtain divider opening every few minutes lets loads of light into the cabin. However I do fly to and from MAN and it's renowned for a noisy bar!!
Old May 16, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

How about 25A? that is the row right before the bar...so not recommended, right? it is a day flight, so I could easily see people hanging out right behind me...
Also have 25K available and 23 E&F - but I am traveling solo...
Old May 17, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: Emirates Gold + BA Silver
Originally Posted by Desirees
How about 25A? that is the row right before the bar...so not recommended, right? it is a day flight, so I could easily see people hanging out right behind me...
Also have 25K available and 23 E&F - but I am traveling solo...
25K or A would be fine, I've never bought into this concept that I will be disturbed by back bar or toilets. The design of the seat is to give as much privacy deemed possible, so unless your are 2m + tall you will be in your cocoon and secluded with noise defining headphones on. Traffic in or around 25 will be more or less the same as 23 or 16 to 21 in the from cabin.

Just my opinion.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
agree with scotclif. Recently did JFK-DXB in 25A on a daylight flight and it was honestly fine. Don't recall the bar being loud but I was there myself after the meal and then slept fine. I did notice the people in the seats behind me were definitely being bothered by the light coming in every time the curtain was moved but 25A was very much screened off from the light.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kq747
agree with scotclif. Recently did JFK-DXB in 25A on a daylight flight and it was honestly fine. Don't recall the bar being loud but I was there myself after the meal and then slept fine. I did notice the people in the seats behind me were definitely being bothered by the light coming in every time the curtain was moved but 25A was very much screened off from the light.
Thank you to both for your replies. I have gone ahead and blocked 25A for me.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:01 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Have you checked on Expertflyer to see if all other window seats are taken or are blocked? I usually find this a good indicator and once you know, maybe even a phone call to see if any blocked seats can be allocated.

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.