Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Delayed flight, misconnected and charged. Any chance of a refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

I'm due to pick a mate up from EK27 to GLA today, but he's just called to say he's missed it and will be on EK25 instead, over 7 hours later.

He came in to DXB from BKK on EK419 which should have given 1 hour 45 mins to connect, but was delayed and landed 28 minutes late. I realise 1 hour 17 minutes meets the MCT allowed (just), but given a bus gate and transfer from Concourse B to A, is it reasonable to blame him for not getting to the gate on time?

He's adamant he did nothing to slow himself down in transit. I've travelled with him before (and will be flying back with him in a couple of weeks) and he's not one to hang about so I can believe this. Any chance of a complaint to Emirates getting the charge to change to EK25 refunded?

EK419 looks like it circled twice south of Fujairah, then another big loop between there and DXB.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I have had a fee waived for being gold in the past....
Old May 14, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
If it was a bus gate were there not separate busses going to A and B? I've had a few connections from bus to A to Come recently and almost missed a flight (EK even sent an SMS 5 mins before gate closes, quite impressed). It can be very tight but B to A is still relatively quick compared to the hike to the lower C gates like C5 etc. I'm surprised nonetheless that they charged hin
Old May 14, 2017, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
If it was a bus gate were there not separate busses going to A and B? I've had a few connections from bus to A to Come recently and almost missed a flight (EK even sent an SMS 5 mins before gate closes, quite impressed). It can be very tight but B to A is still relatively quick compared to the hike to the lower C gates like C5 etc. I'm surprised nonetheless that they charged hin
EDIT: if he shows up with a DDF bag you know why they charged him.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:38 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Too many variables that EK should be taking in to consideration in scenarios like this. No doubt the agents looked at their screen and saw the time the plane arrived and gave what should have been a do-able connection.

Take in to consideration:
Engines powered down & chocks on.
Manoeuvring stairs into position and doors opening
De-planing an A380 onto buses
Transit to terminal, volume of traffic and if the bus has to cross any active taxiways
Transit security (busy time at that time of the morning)
Distance from security to gate

Easily on a contact gate to gate transfer, I would always factor out at least 30 mins travelling J for the transfer to be on the safe side and then the additional time to be at the gate for my next flight is easily an hour total when playing it safe. Throw in a remote stand arrival and a whole multitude of things can diminish any time buffer built in especially when the arriving aircraft is late and on a remote stand.

I certainly wouldn't rest on my laurels and would most definitely try and get my money back. Make sure he's got all the facts in front of him when he phones up and best of luck.

S
Old May 14, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: SPG, HHonors
I'd caution that if there were other connecting passengers from the same inbound aircraft. and all of them made the flight, but for some reason he was the only one who missed it, then the OP will have a hard time convincing EK to refund the fee.

I'd bet this is the exact case, and therefore why the fee was levied. Their view is probably "How is it that 25 people from your flight made the connection but you did not?"
Old May 14, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

If it was a bus gate were there not separate busses going to A and B?
I had that last time at bus gate too - guys with destination boards at the bottom of the stairs pointing you to the right bus for your next flight. I don't know if they were there or not and can't ask him now.

EDIT: if he shows up with a DDF bag you know why they charged him.
I doubt it. He was bringing tabs for me but bought them in BKK.

Originally Posted by aeropix
I'd caution that if there were other connecting passengers from the same inbound aircraft. and all of them made the flight, but for some reason he was the only one who missed it, then the OP will have a hard time convincing EK to refund the fee.

I'd bet this is the exact case, and therefore why the fee was levied. Their view is probably "How is it that 25 people from your flight made the connection but you did not?"
This could be the case, but as I said above, he doesn't usually hang about in the airport. I'll get his story later if he's not too drunk from the extra 7 hours in the airport.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
I don't know the exact rules, but when a ship arrives late, there are usually a number of EK staff looking (and shouting) for transfer pax holding a destination board.
It is quite straightforward.
Any chance, your friend missed it ?
Old May 15, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster

It turns out he was told 11 other pax made the connection OK and therefore he must have dallied, which he insists is untrue. He did not see any directions to a specific bus or any other sort of assistance, so getting on the "wrong" bus may be behind it.

To cap it off, he was told in-flight his luggage wasn't on board and it'll be delivered today.

He's sending in a complaint but not holding out much hope for success.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by ft101
It turns out he was told 11 other pax made the connection OK and therefore he must have dallied, which he insists is untrue. He did not see any directions to a specific bus or any other sort of assistance, so getting on the "wrong" bus may be behind it.

To cap it off, he was told in-flight his luggage wasn't on board and it'll be delivered today.

He's sending in a complaint but not holding out much hope for success.
That's a tough one if other pax did indeed make it
Old May 16, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
This is indeed a tough one , would EK lie about the 11 paxs who made the flight ? If your bags didn't make it , I would use that as your standing leg that if your bags cannot make it to your connecting flight all within the minimum connection then how are you meant to ? Seeing and knowing how fast, automated and efficient the baggage system is I would say your friend was probably in a pretty tight connection , but if 11 paxs truly made it then I am afraid you friend should just call it a day !
Old May 16, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601
This is indeed a tough one , would EK lie about the 11 paxs who made the flight ? If your bags didn't make it , I would use that as your standing leg that if your bags cannot make it to your connecting flight all within the minimum connection then how are you meant to ? Seeing and knowing how fast, automated and efficient the baggage system is I would say your friend was probably in a pretty tight connection , but if 11 paxs truly made it then I am afraid you friend should just call it a day !
I understand it as his bags didn't make it on the rebooked flight 7hrs later. Bags can make a 75min connection in DXB no problem.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:23 am

Do you know where on the A380 your friend was seated? It's not exactly quick to disembark on stairs. If he was seated near the rear then I think it's entirely possible that if the other 11 passengers connecting to EK27 were in first, business, or near front of economy then they would have disembarked much sooner than your friend and been on board one of the first buses to the terminal, and therefore reached the connecting gate on time, whilst your friend did not.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I understand it as his bags didn't make it on the rebooked flight 7hrs later.
That's correct.

Originally Posted by KLMkitty
Do you know where on the A380 your friend was seated? It's not exactly quick to disembark on stairs. If he was seated near the rear then I think it's entirely possible that if the other 11 passengers connecting to EK27 were in first, business, or near front of economy then they would have disembarked much sooner than your friend and been on board one of the first buses to the terminal, and therefore reached the connecting gate on time, whilst your friend did not.
I don't know and what you say could be the case. He's emailed them so just have to wait and see now.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by ft101
I can understand that a baggage can't make it during a 75 min transit (though quite surprising), but not for a 7 hour transit.

For the anecdote, in November last year, I arrived at the airport (major European outstation) less than 30 min before an inbound flight, due to exceptionally heavy traffic. Boarding had already started when I showed up at check-in. Well, my checked baggage made it onboard. I still don't know how.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.