Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

A few random observations from my first Emirates J experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many but loyal to none

I flew MAN-BKK, all legs on an A380.

The crew in general were excellent on all legs. On the first they had run out of the main course I wanted, and nothing else really floated my boat so I politely declined a main. They genuinely seemed concerned and I got several apologies including from the chief purser (is that what they are called?). Laura who was serving me offered her meal which I again politely declined. Later they came back and had sourced one from First Class, they were really determined to feed me!

The last leg back to Manchester looked like it was on an older model A380 as the ICE system seemed different and the seat seemed narrower around the shoulders when laid down. I also think the foot hole was narrower on the A380 from BKK-DXB, Seat belt sizes were inconsistent, 3 out of the 4 legs I had to use an extender, whereas the older plane had seat belts that fitted with room to spare, however ironically, the table on that plane was the tightest to the point it was cutting me in half. I guess what I'm saying is that the product does have some differences that if you are overweight/large like me will make some versions of the product more comfortable than others.

I have to say I was slightly underwhelmed with the bar area, it's proximity to the toilets and galley didn't really appeal to me, and so I spent most of the flight in my seat sleeping or watching the TV. I also found the toilets distinctly average. They were small, felt a bit sparse and never seemed really clean in that fresh sparkly way.

Lastly, the new terminal at DXB (well not that new now) is such an improvement and luckily our flights departed literally outside the lounge. The lounges themselves I found were all good with ample seating and dining options.

Overall I was impressed with my first Emirates J experience and would definitely fly again price permitting. I'm sure the regulars will probably know most of what I've rambled on about, but hope it helps others who are less frequent flyers like me and use these forums to research carriers.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Sounds like you had some great crew on the first leg. You've probably read on these forums about how service can be quite inconsistent. I've also had the experience where the crew go above and beyond any expectations to make you comfortable. These are the experiences that keep us coming back. Hats off to those crew!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: Emirates Gold + BA Silver
I have to say I was slightly underwhelmed with the bar area, it's proximity to the toilets and galley didn't really appeal to me
Out of interest where would you like to see Bar/Galley?toilets placed.

The last leg back to Manchester looked like it was on an older model A380 as the ICE system seemed different and the seat seemed narrower around the shoulders when laid down. I also think the foot hole was narrower on the A380 from BKK-DXB, Seat belt sizes were inconsistent, 3 out of the 4 legs I had to use an extender, whereas the older plane had seat belts that fitted with room to spare, however ironically, the table on that plane was the tightest to the point it was cutting me in half. I guess what I'm saying is that the product does have some differences that if you are overweight/large like me will make some versions of the product more comfortable than others
Had the same last year, I thought i was just getting bigger :-) (no extender needed may i add) :-)
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Yeah I agree. It seems sometimes there's a lack of consisty due to new crew members.
I can give you an example. On my last flight DBX>BKK (2nd April) I found on my salad a residue of stainless steel brush (from the cleaning of the catering team I presume).
Usually I dont make a big fuss about it (even though its not acceptable for any standards due to healthy safety) so I decided to call the cabin crew and whispered (so no other passagers could notice it) that he should report this issue to the catering team so that could not happen again.
He collected the salad and after 3min delivered a new one without even an apology I denied the salad and pointed that my intention was to warn them. simple as that.

I can imagine if this happened to more temperal person and not so loyal. A simple picture and post on social media through On Air Wi-Fi during the flight could make alot of damage.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I doubt it's the same person, but I gave a glowing review to a Laura that was working the bar on a trip from MAN to DXB a few years ago. One of the best crew I've ever had.

You are right, there are some differences between the A380s. As I spend most of the time in the bar - the seat differences don't bother me too much

The only issue with the toilets I've had is trying to get into one. I was busting for a pee on a DXY-SYD flight, and it was changeover time for the crew, so they were getting freshened up. As soon as one came out, another went in.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

The only issue with the toilets I've had is trying to get into one. I was busting for a pee on a DXY-SYD flight, and it was changeover time for the crew, so they were getting freshened up. As soon as one came out, another went in.
I am sure that would count as feesable justification to pop down to 1st for a quick freshen up in the big bathroom.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by scotclif
I am sure that would count as feesable justification to pop down to 1st for a quick freshen up in the big bathroom.
Try me.
You'll have to go unnoticed to the several FA manning constantly the F galley. They DO remember F pax faces.
Then, you'll face one of the two CSA standing (most of the time) in front of the bathrooms.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by ioto1902
Try me.
You'll have to go unnoticed to the several FA manning constantly the F galley. They DO remember F pax faces.
Then, you'll face one of the two CSA standing (most of the time) in front of the bathrooms.
That's quite the gauntlet to run.

Challenge accepted... EK226 next Friday.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:44 am

Try me.
Am fully aware of the challenge having flown in F a number of times, but still ,none the less..... you need to pee.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:48 am

And quite often they lock that toilet...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by m3red
And quite often they lock that toilet...
They are talking about shower-rooms, not the U1R lav, which is, indeed, sometimes closed by FA to prevent J pax from using it.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
They are talking about shower-rooms, not the U1R lav, which is, indeed, sometimes closed by FA to prevent J pax from using it.
Yes, and if you're in F less frequently like me, you see the red light saying it's closed and walk all the way back to J. I only learned about the locking recently...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Yes, and if you're in F less frequently like me, you see the red light saying it's closed and walk all the way back to J. I only learned about the locking recently...
Well it's annoying when I want a pee and the showers are full and a j passenger is in that loo...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:13 pm

So if in F, do you have to ask the FA to unlock?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Do they have an additional sign on the front saying occupied or not? Or do you lift the cover and move the bolt and hope no one is in there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.