New Plat welcome pack - no gift

Old Apr 20, 17, 4:42 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dubai, UAE
Programs: BA Gold, GGL, Virgin Silver, Skywards Platinum, SPG VIP
Posts: 192
New Plat welcome pack - no gift

Just got my new Platinum renewal pack for 2018. No gift. Just the usual nice box with letter, card and luggage tags but no gift. More cost-cutting?

I remember a time when you got to choose a gift even for Gold.
Brussels traveller is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 4:48 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cape Town
Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Posts: 1,577
I am still waiting for my platinum pack , sent EK a email and said even thou I requested it on the 11/02 it only got officially sent a week ago in the mail. Now have to wait 6+/- weeks for it arrive , that is if it isn't stolen in the South African mail system .
Flame3601 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 5:02 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MAN DXB ✈️
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 6,552
I mentioned this a while ago....no gift.
m3red is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 5:03 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,794
Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
I am still waiting for my platinum pack , sent EK a email and said even thou I requested it on the 11/02 it only got officially sent a week ago in the mail. Now have to wait 6+/- weeks for it arrive , that is if it isn't stolen in the South African mail system .
I'm in the same boat, requested around the same time (Gold though, not Plat ) and still not received, also to South Africa (must say SAPO has become a little more reliable recently though)
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 7:01 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Europe
Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Posts: 1,076
Originally Posted by Brussels traveller View Post
Just got my new Platinum renewal pack for 2018. No gift. Just the usual nice box with letter, card and luggage tags but no gift. More cost-cutting?

I remember a time when you got to choose a gift even for Gold.
So, they are cutting 90 USD x 2000 members = 180 K USD (+ shipping ), for a turnover of 35-40K USD per member.
That's less than 0,3% on Platinum member turnover. Much less on total EK turnover.

On the other hand, they probably expect that no Platinum member will quit because there is no gift.

Anyway, what's the meaning of sending lousy plastic cards, while pax can print them at home ??
ioto1902 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 7:17 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,794
Originally Posted by ioto1902 View Post
So, they are cutting 90 USD x 2000 members = 180 K USD (+ shipping ), for a turnover of 35-40K USD per member.
That's less than 0,3% on Platinum member turnover. Much less on total EK turnover.

On the other hand, they probably expect that no Platinum member will quit because there is no gift.

Anyway, what's the meaning of sending lousy plastic cards, while pax can print them at home ??
I seriously doubt there are only 2k Plats these days
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 8:24 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MAN DXB ✈️
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 6,552
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
I seriously doubt there are only 2k Plats these days
There's at least 5k probably more.
m3red is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 9:00 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Europe
Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Posts: 1,076
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
There's at least 5k probably more.
No problem, you know better than me.
In percentage, it doesn't change.

Anyway, if EK is reduced to cut 90USD from high revenue pax ... that's not a good news.
With all their A380, they should really keep those very loyal 5000 pax base.

I'm not saying that we'll go away because we won't get the 90USD gift.

This week I had to ask for each item (PJ, then amenity kit, then bag) because FA didn't bring everything together. I don't know if this is related to cost cutting instructions. (FYI, it was not a night flight)
ioto1902 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 9:00 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,156
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
There's at least 5k probably more.
Although with last year's earnings changes and latest premium fares on the higher side maybe that will start to come down!
eternaltransit is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 6:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Dubai
Programs: Qatar Plat, EK Gold
Posts: 91
without question Emirates is cutting costs in many areas

I decided to go for the Qatar Plat rather than EK Plat which seemed to offer marginal value, the oneworld Emerald status has been awesome (+ dine on demand)
jonspencer is offline  
Old Apr 20, 17, 11:17 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dubai
Programs: Emirates Platinum
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
I'm in the same boat, requested around the same time (Gold though, not Plat ) and still not received, also to South Africa (must say SAPO has become a little more reliable recently though)
I have never been able to get a card delivered to South Africa. I ship a lot of more valuable stuff to SA and it arrives, but never the pesky FF cards. So now I just get it shipped to Dubai and that arrives within days. Was never able to figure out why.
ghostwrita is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 1:43 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: Emirates Platinum
Posts: 48
A friend and I both travel back and forth from Canada to Africa for consulting. We are both platinum members. We fly every 6-8 weeks J tickets. We were just discussing the other night when i picked him up at the airport that we weren't seeing the benefits of Platinum besides using the FC lounge in DXB vs gold. Infact, we received upgrades in gold and none since reaching plat even though there are empty seats. The whole experience has just become so routine. We are thinking about moving to other airlines to see if the experience is any better or different. There are definitely noticeable cutbacks in service compared to last year. The hardest part is giving up the shopping in DXB through transit as DDF has some of the best selection ive seen in airports.
kitesurfer is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 4:49 am
  #13  
Ambassador, Emirates
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LGW / AMS / CPT
Programs: SA KL BA EK
Posts: 3,145
Originally Posted by ghostwrita View Post
I have never been able to get a card delivered to South Africa. I ship a lot of more valuable stuff to SA and it arrives, but never the pesky FF cards. So now I just get it shipped to Dubai and that arrives within days. Was never able to figure out why.
Both my wife and myself received our cards in the mail in CPT. But then they are only silver, so of less value then plat....
thijsseh is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 4:53 am
  #14  
Ambassador, Emirates
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LGW / AMS / CPT
Programs: SA KL BA EK
Posts: 3,145
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
A friend and I both travel back and forth from Canada to Africa for consulting. We are both platinum members. We fly every 6-8 weeks J tickets. We were just discussing the other night when i picked him up at the airport that we weren't seeing the benefits of Platinum besides using the FC lounge in DXB vs gold. Infact, we received upgrades in gold and none since reaching plat even though there are empty seats. The whole experience has just become so routine. We are thinking about moving to other airlines to see if the experience is any better or different. There are definitely noticeable cutbacks in service compared to last year. The hardest part is giving up the shopping in DXB through transit as DDF has some of the best selection ive seen in airports.
You need to understand that most airlines outside North America do NOT upgrade status passengers when there are 'empty seats'. Upgrades are given when operations require it (that's why they are called op-up's), typically when there is overbooking in the lower cabins.
It's a different business model from the NA operations. I personally like it, but YMMV.
thijsseh is offline  
Old Apr 21, 17, 7:28 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: Emirates Platinum
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
You need to understand that most airlines outside North America do NOT upgrade status passengers when there are 'empty seats'. Upgrades are given when operations require it (that's why they are called op-up's), typically when there is overbooking in the lower cabins.
It's a different business model from the NA operations. I personally like it, but YMMV.
So are you say that last year when i was Gold there were more full flights, and this year the planes are not as full? indicating Emirates is losing business while they raise their prices....
kitesurfer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: