Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK is reducing US flights (SEA, BOS, LAX, FLL, MCO)

Old Apr 19, 17, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BOS - Gone?

Looks like the morning flight is gone.
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Not sure what date/s you are looking at , but i can see certain days only operating one flight per day as of June.
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
Not sure what date/s you are looking at , but i can see certain days only operating one flight per day as of June.
Yes, only the evening flight is left. Is this due to the laptop ban? = less demand?
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Probably just reduced during May/June (Ramadan). There's quite a few other reductions - see the New Routes thread.
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:39 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately not just a seasonal response. Per Business Insider this is being reduced along with LA and SEA. They've directly cited the laptop ban as weakening demand

http://www.businessinsider.com/emira...vel-ban-2017-4

Starting May 1, flights to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, will be reduced from daily flights to five flights a week. The airline says it will make the same cuts to its Orlando, Florida, service starting May 23.

Starting June 1 and 2, Seattle and Boston service will be reduced to a single daily flight from two previously. Finally, beginning July 1, Emirates' twice-daily service to Los Angeles will be cut down to a single flight.
"This is a commercial decision in response to weakened travel demand to US," an airline representative told Business Insider. "The recent actions taken by the US government relating to the issuance of entry visas, heightened security vetting, and restrictions on electronic devices in aircraft cabins have had a direct impact on consumer interest and demand for air travel into the US."
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Does this increase the chance to see the A380 in Boston?
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Yeah who knows besides EK HQ. I see Lucky just reported on it as well. I do not mind the cuts , but just along as the service stays in the current form

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...OMAAT+Facebook

Wonder what QR/EY are thinking ....
Old Apr 19, 17, 11:34 am

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/19/emirates-trims-us-flights-after-trump-administration-curbs.html

The airline will move its daily services at Fort Lauderdale and Orlando to five days a week. Its services in Seattle, Boston and Los Angeles will also be cut from twice-daily to daily service.
Old Apr 19, 17, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Emirates Airline, the world’s biggest carrier by international traffic, is cutting flights to five U.S. cities after actions by the Trump administration slowed bookings from Middle Eastern countries.

The Dubai-based carrier’s action is the clearest sign of the commercial impact of President Donald Trump’s efforts to curtail immigration from several Muslim-majority countries and limit the use of electronics on some U, S, bound flights.

“Over the past three months, we have seen a significant deterioration in the booking profiles on all our U.S. routes, across travel segments,” the airline said. “Emirates has therefore responded as any profit-oriented enterprise would and we will redeploy capacity to serve demand on other routes on our global network.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/emirate...ons-1492610648
Old Apr 19, 17, 11:48 am

Maybe a cancellation of some Boeing orders will follow?

The A350 is a great aircraft
Old Apr 19, 17, 11:50 am

Programs: Whatever status they gifted me for 2021 because I flew only 20k miles and had 17 nights
I wonder if CNBC has the right context - they may be reporting on the seasonal Ramadan cuts. EK217/218 (DXB-LAX v/v 2nd service) returns in July if I'm not mistaken.
Old Apr 19, 17, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
I wonder if CNBC has the right context - they may be reporting on the seasonal Ramadan cuts. EK217/218 (DXB-LAX v/v 2nd service) returns in July if I'm not mistaken.
There is a direct quote from Emirates - so I guess it's permanent (or at least until things pick up again).
Old Apr 19, 17, 11:58 am

Programs: Whatever status they gifted me for 2021 because I flew only 20k miles and had 17 nights
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
There is a direct quote from Emirates - so I guess it's permanent (or at least until things pick up again).
Well, I think they're definitely succeeding on the yields then, my latest fare in J SFO-HYD (booking class O) is at least 15% higher than last months trip. I always check LAX as I don't mind a quick hop and lunch with family and friends - fares there are just as high.
Old Apr 19, 17, 12:17 pm

I think those reduction are permanent:

“Emirates has, therefore, responded as any profit-oriented enterprise would, and we will redeploy capacity to serve demand on other routes on our global network,”
From May 1 and May 23 respectively, Emirates’ Fort Lauderdale and Orlando operations will move from daily services to five a week. Its Seattle and Boston operations will move from twice-daily services to a daily service from June 1 and 2 respectively. And from July 1, the airline said, its operations to Los Angeles will move from twice-daily to a daily service.
http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...ions-1.2014318
Old Apr 19, 17, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EK77W View Post
I think those reduction are permanent
Not a surprise. Even before the current american political climate EK had a bit too much capacity (IMO) going to SEA and BOS. I hope they continue to expand into North American, but wouldn't be surprised of the EWR-ATH-DXB is the last new route we see for a little while.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: