Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK is reducing US flights (SEA, BOS, LAX, FLL, MCO)

EK is reducing US flights (SEA, BOS, LAX, FLL, MCO)

Old Apr 20, 17, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Xlr View Post
The more important question might be: Where will these planes be deployed to?

They need to balance the network, so it would likely be Europe or South America. Maybe we'll finally see MEX, PTY, and KEF.
I think EK will speed up the retirement of the last 7 B777/300 remaining.

The delivery of some A380 this year has been deferred to 2018/2019.

Last edited by ZRHMD11; Apr 20, 17 at 3:20 am
Old Apr 20, 17, 1:41 am

Here's an overview:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...tions-in-2q17/

Shouldn't be 5 B77W go to Rossiya?
Old Apr 20, 17, 1:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by EK77W View Post
Here's an overview:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...tions-in-2q17/

Shouldn't be 5 B77W go to Rossiya?
I think that deal was canned months ago
Old Apr 20, 17, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Too many seats , not enough passengers....
Old Apr 20, 17, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
Too many seats , not enough passengers....
Agreed - the gambled upon pax number growth hasn't materialised quick enough for EK and there isn't enough cash flow to sustain services, imho, especially with revenue from the core market, the UK, down 15-20% just off the back of FX movements.

I think lessors are going to have an interesting conundrum when the 12 year leases come to an end!
Old Apr 20, 17, 10:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MFLetou View Post
I know most everybody on this forum enjoys bashing the current US Administration, but this smells more like EK finding a convenient excuse to retreat after over saturating markets, which is exactly what their US competitors have been saying all along.
I agree on the over-saturation and this giving EK an out. I am sure that the new rules contributes a bit, but so it goes.

Anecdotally, I have consistently heard of easy availability of rows of middle empty seats on the LAX EK flights for a few months now while I see full EY flights. The capacity of the EK flights and having the double daily has just been too much. Further, EK was not matching the ULH fares (which essentially would make the connecting flight at DXB 'free') and was asking for a premium. Passengers aren't biting just like they behave on domestic routes. A few years ago EK was more aggressively matching prices, but I think they had enough of flying people and not even covering costs (which has been the point of contention for quite some time). I mean, the price of tickets on these routes are the exact same as paid in 1987 (which means including inflation, etc. are at a significantly lower price today).

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB View Post
I am surprised about LAX though; it serves a huge area, including people in LAS and PHX
So, LAX is probably the only market outside of CHI-NYC-DC on the list that has *a lot* of other choices. Just to remind, the carriers include Saudi, Turkish, Etihad, Emirates, Qatar plus all of the Asian route carriers of Singapore, Thai, Malaysian, Cathay, Korean and probably a few others I've left off inadvertently.

I think it is good that you mention the feeder aspect of the southwest region. I am pretty confident though that almost none of that is going to Emirates. I think AA has codeshared very well onto the ULH flight to AUH as well as points beyond. SAN, PHX, LAS and so on are getting booked on AA/EY metal. Even with AS, I don't think EK it getting much benefit for the LAX feeder aspect.

Rasheed
Old Apr 20, 17, 4:00 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
How is this going to impact US airports ? Would those airports LAX,SEA etc become less busy ?
Old Apr 20, 17, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Maybe BOS will get an A380 now...
Old Apr 20, 17, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Fairee View Post
How is this going to impact US airports ? Would those airports LAX,SEA etc become less busy ?
Eh, not really. Domestic demand continues to power on and do well. The only item that might be at risk is the FLL subsidy to EK depending on the details of that program (how many days per week required, etc.).

Rasheed
Old Apr 21, 17, 12:52 pm

Programs: Whatever status they gifted me for 2021 because I flew only 20k miles and had 17 nights
Great commentary on Runway Girl Network (incidentally, a great site to follow if you're looking at larger trends in air travel and especially premium cabins) -

Runway Girl Network: Is Emirates experiencing economic turbulence of its own making?
Old Jun 28, 17, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EK is restoring MCO to daily starting in July.
Old Jun 29, 17, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by anrkitec View Post
Boston and Seattle also close to being back to normal, going by the article mentioned here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28490430-post1951.html
Old Jun 30, 17, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by anrkitec View Post
I read some where (do not remember) that the MCO flight has one of EK's highest pax. loads of all EK's USA routes.

Does anyone have any insight on this ?
Old Jun 30, 17, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Travelman64 View Post
I read some where (do not remember where) that the MCO flight has one of EK's highest pax. loads of all EK's USA routes.

Does anyone have any insight on this ?
Old Jul 4, 17, 11:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Really hope the extra SEA flight comes back. The timing was great both ways.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: