FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   My experience with the 'travel ban': connecting on EK through DXB to USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1831636-my-experience-travel-ban-connecting-ek-through-dxb-usa.html)

shuuy Mar 25, 2017 3:54 am

My experience with the 'travel ban': connecting on EK through DXB to USA

Saturday @ 21h00 GMT+11
Writing from the lounge (on my laptop) in Australia. Flying - DXB - USA on EK in J. Carrying laptop and ipad in carry-on. Expecting to check it in at some point, just not sure where.
* At check-in, was asked "you know about the laptop ban, right. And not to have a laptop in your carry-on".
* I responded "yes", as in "yes, I know about the laptop ban"
* My first boarding pass looked normal
* My DXB-USA boarding pass had "SSSS".
* No questions / issues through fast-track security in Australia

Will keep this thread posted. Let's see what happens 16h from now in DXB. Post any questions / anything you want me to check-out. I'll respond from the flight on my phone in the worst case scenario. :)

Newly Wed Mar 25, 2017 4:04 am

Let me get this right: you know about the ban but think it should not apply to you so intend to ignore it?

Hopefully what hat will happen in 16 hours is that you will be told to either leave your laptop and iPad behind (because your luggage has been checked through) or you will be off loaded.

Have a great flight.

shuuy Mar 25, 2017 4:07 am

Wow you're a happy guy. Must be because you are newly wed :). My understanding is it will be checked at the gate, per comments from the CEO. worst comes to worst I exit security and check a bag with those two things in it.

Why didn't you suggest that option, Mr. Happy?

Originally Posted by Newly Wed (Post 28084140)
Let me get this right: you know about the ban but think it should not apply to you so intend to ignore it?

DYKWIA Mar 25, 2017 4:54 am

How many more threads do we need for this?

ioto1902 Mar 25, 2017 4:57 am

Hopefully what hat will happen in 16 hours is that you will be told to either leave your laptop and iPad behind (because your luggage has been checked through) or you will be off loaded.

Have a great flight.

We all know that one guy who thinks he is smarter than others ...

skywardhunter Mar 25, 2017 5:00 am

Have a great flight.

What a silly comment.

Dave Noble Mar 25, 2017 5:05 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 28084233)
What a silly comment.

The OP seems written to indicate a gloating at ignoring the regulation rather than highlight the expectation of checking it in in Dubai - so doesnt seem that silly a comment

Flame3601 Mar 25, 2017 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28084240)
The OP seems written to indicate a gloating at ignoring the regulation rather than highlight the expectation of checking it in in Dubai - so doesnt seem that silly a comment

^^

dwugson Mar 25, 2017 7:59 am

Originally Posted by shuuy (Post 28084120)
Saturday @ 21h00 GMT+11

Will keep this thread posted. Let's see what happens 16h from now in DXB. Post any questions / anything you want me to check-out. I'll respond from the flight on my phone in the worst case scenario. :)

Thanks for keeping us updated. When in Dubai can you see whether they'll check a rollaboard at the gate or just the individual computers. Have the same itinerary as you and hope I can gate check my bag with camera gear/computer etc at that point instead of BNE.

kq747 Mar 25, 2017 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28084240)

I didn't read that tone into the OP's first post at all. Agree with skywardhunter except that I think it was a very silly comment, and is more telling about the commenters attitude than the OP's.

Braniff Mar 25, 2017 8:48 am

Originally Posted by shuuy (Post 28084120)

Thanks. Look forward to your updates.

thijsseh Mar 25, 2017 9:28 am

Originally Posted by dwugson (Post 28084647)
Thanks for keeping us updated. When in Dubai can you see whether they'll check a rollaboard at the gate or just the individual computers. Have the same itinerary as you and hope I can gate check my bag with camera gear/computer etc at that point instead of BNE.

It will be interesting to hear what happens. My take on it is that they will accept your laptop / tablet and put it into some special 'container' and then into the hold. I remember reading somewhere that camera gear is specifically excluded from this treatment and that you have to pack it into your checked luggage yourself. The rationale being (rightly or wrongly) that you might well want to use the laptop etc on the other flight and in the DXB lounge but that you have no such pressing need for your camera gear.

SanDiego1K Mar 25, 2017 9:54 am

I'm glad the OP is posting. Many of us have upcoming flights that will be impacted by this ban. I'm interested to learn how Emirates deal with those coming from connecting flights. It's good to learn that he didn't have to check from his originating airport, implying that Emirates has figured out how to take the electronics at the point of his connection. I'm concerned as to how secure he feels his electronics will be against theft.

OP, please continue to update us on your journey.

m3red Mar 25, 2017 10:55 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 28084980)
I'm glad the OP is posting. Many of us have upcoming flights that will be impacted by this ban. I'm interested to learn how Emirates deal with those coming from connecting flights. It's good to learn that he didn't have to check from his originating airport, implying that Emirates has figured out how to take the electronics at the point of his connection. I'm concerned as to how secure he feels his electronics will be against theft.

OP, please continue to update us on your journey.

Agreed - it's helpful and useful.

Flame3601 Mar 25, 2017 12:03 pm

Oh no the dreaded SSSS !