Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

My experience with the 'travel ban': connecting on EK through DXB to USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My experience with the 'travel ban': connecting on EK through DXB to USA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
I flew from Amman to Dubai to Los Angeles on Emirates on Saturday. I didn't mind packing my iPad, because my I phone 7 plus is a good substitute. Camera equipment was more of an issue for me. I wrapped my camera body in an adult diaper, put some tape on it and then put the diaper in a plastic garbage bag and taped that shut and put it in checked luggage which I locked. Diaper is good padding and waterproof and I figured that thieves would be less likely to investigate. The camera arrived in LA in good shape.

I took my lenses on board with me, because they are actually more expensive than the camera body. There was some discussion among the security people at the gate as to whether that was acceptable, but they were very polite and did let me take the lenses on board.

I was on the afternoon flight from Dubai to Los Angeles (the plane without a shower) but I was the only first-class passenger on the flight. I used Alaska airline miles to get the ticket. I think the ban is ridiculous, but it may make it easier to get award seats by discouraging some people from flying to Dubai.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:35 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Good video, they certainly appear to be the most proactive airline handling the situation.

S
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Data point: EK231 DXB-IAD 3 April.

Only difference was that they starting boarding ~70 minutes ahead of planned departure time for Y. Around 30-40 minutes before departure from the J lounge. Had packed our camera and throw-away netbook, so cannot relay any direct experiences in gate-checking electronics.

Am now on some watchlist, am 3/4 (3/3 on the last three flights) on EK flights for SSSS screening, Mrs. pokeable was also gifted for this for the first time. SSSS folks had to go down to the Y boarding area, both the carry on, and myself, got wiped down for bomb residue screening, and my backpack was thoroughly searched. Given that J and F started boarding later, this took 5 minutes tops. SSSS screened folks got to ascend up the 'grand' A380 staircase, a first for me.

Left the gate on time-ish (15? minutes behind), there were some taxiing problems, but arrived at the gate ~9AM.

IAD worked perfectly as always. J and F luggage arrived first. Global entry lines allow you to bypass everyone else to leave. Less than 30 minutes to being out the door.

Last edited by pokeable; Apr 5, 2017 at 7:55 am
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
@workandski - I'm glad they let you take the lens on board? What if you have a 400mm f2.8? The only way I'd check something like that is in a Pelican hard case ......
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by safari_7
@workandski - I'm glad they let you take the lens on board? What if you have a 400mm f2.8? The only way I'd check something like that is in a Pelican hard case ......
Are lenses electronics? I guess if you have Auto-Focus but other than that it's just glass and plastic
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by safari_7
Actually have checked my 500 mm in a hard and well padded Kata bag multiple times on Emirates before the new rules. There's a limit to what I can carry! Always make sure than anything I check in is fully covered by insurance rider for camera gear.
Am more interested to know whether my portable hard drives will be allowed on board - so far nothing on any of the boards. My camera gear is insured but my images, backed up on small hard drives are not and can't be replaced. Will be interested to hear of any experiences since the 'ban' - I'll post but it won't be till the end of May.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet. Sounds like you can get a surface tablet in F or J.

https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...lass-customers
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Although I think this (tablet loaning) is really EK thinking out of the box to help us travelers, I wonder how many of us are willing to use the offered tablet knowing that they are potentially hard to scrub of our proprietary and potentially sensitive files and/or history. Sure, it would work great to watch some movies or play games but don't we already have the best IFE in the industry in front of us? I must however give it to the EK management for working to solve a difficult situation they were handed.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
I see it as a last ditch option if you really are in a bind and need to work on a doc. Like you say, a really good way to think outside the box and provide an option for those who really need it. I don't think I ever would. At least I hope to never be in that much of a bind that I can't lose 14 hours.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:08 pm

Using a tablet will make it easier to post inflight that they ran out of Dom.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by mileshound
Using a tablet will make it easier to post inflight that they ran out of Dom.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:06 pm

I understand the loan service went alive a few days ago. Has anyone used it?
i need to make my reservations in a couple of days and am in a bind - Cathay vs Emirates business class from LA to India.

I don't mind losing my tablet or laptop on the way back but it would be nice to have a loaner tablet so I can read my books. To read, I would need to install an app on the tablet, not sure if I would be allowed to do so by Emirates.
I wish I had my books as PDF which I could carry on a USB stick but this is not an option.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:33 am

I am probably going to have to change my booking to another airline. Going to Dubai for work next month. A few other colleagues have already changed their booking to another airline which aren't affected by the ban. The key reason for it being, it isn't easy to get my documents out of my work laptop onto some other device. So I do require my work laptop to do the work
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I am probably going to have to change my booking to another airline. Going to Dubai for work next month. A few other colleagues have already changed their booking to another airline which aren't affected by the ban. The key reason for it being, it isn't easy to get my documents out of my work laptop onto some other device. So I do require my work laptop to do the work
Or fly via MXP or ATH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.