Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

US bans inflight electronics on flights from UAE - lifted 5Jul17

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US bans inflight electronics on flights from UAE - lifted 5Jul17

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by markle
Saudia is included in this ban.

https://twitter.com/Saudi_Airlines/s...38021795926016

(Translate link under the tweet)
Sorry, I was misinformed.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold

Guess we are flying KE on our annual international trips.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dwugson
Certainly this seems designed to bring down the ME3 rather than any real threat...Also, as other have said, who feels safe with a hold full of lithium batteries.
Precisely.

It will be interesting when someone analyzes the loss of productivity.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:18 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
​​​​​​needless to say my previous decision to defer US travel is being reinforced. That country is a joke.
I have made a decision to never visit the USA whilst this joker of a president remains in the White House. With 11 visits in the past 10 years to the USA as a leisure traveller from Australia, he can make America Great Again without any of my holiday spending input, ableit only a tiny discretionary spending. Well at least now I can focus on hitting my 60th country sometime in 2017 as I have more time travelling elsewhere.

That said, cargo hold with potentially 100's of Lithium batteries is scary, scary, scary. Although I won't be flying to the USA anytime soon, it potentially affects ALL of us as there will no doubt be passengers who are connecting to an affected US bound flight and would likely have had to check-in their laptops/tablets/etc on the preceding flight to the US.

And any wanna-be-maniac who wants to do bad things to the USA, well would just fly another airline that's not affected. Remember which airlines were used in September 11 and this new ban looks ridiculous.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
This will be easy to implement on Etihad flights from AUHsince all US bound flights leave from the same area AFTER going thru secondary screening as well as US customs & immigration. HOWEVER, This is going to be a nightmare for EK. flights to the US leave from all 3 concourses with no special security checks ........if they implement secondary security for all US flights the delays will be enormous. The other problem is EK is a huge carrier for business people traveling from the US to the Gulf, India, etc. if they can't use their laptops it's gonna be a big problem
Not sure about EK but QR in Doha has a pretty good systematic secondary inspection on all US bound flights at the gate. I do not seee whay EK could not do the same.

I am not among the 3 ME carrier bashers, far from it, but someone there has played a clever card.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver (exPPS:(, Tesco sad, FR Ł0.01
Elctronics ban - any positives for J pricing?

just thinking about positives if any from this ban.

Any views how many busines class passengers (who have to carry laptops in hand laggage) would switch from EK/QR to other airlines, and thus ME3 carriers would have to slash business class fares in the near future to fill in their suddenly empty J cabins?

i plan to make a leasure flight to the US next month and I dont mind to use J flat beds to sleep on the plane rather than clicking laptop buttons ;-)

Any views and tips are welcome
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by mishkira
just thinking about positives if any from this ban.

Any views how many busines class passengers (who have to carry laptops in hand laggage) would switch from EK/QR to other airlines, and thus ME3 carriers would have to slash business class fares in the near future to fill in their suddenly empty J cabins?

i plan to make a leasure flight to the US next month and I dont mind to use J flat beds to sleep on the plane rather than clicking laptop buttons ;-)

Any views and tips are welcome
I think it is waaaaay too early to tell if this will have a significant effect on business class pricing. It really depends on how this is practically handled by airlines and airports concerned, and whether the ban in fact inconveniences enough travelers that there is a large drop in J class demand. We simply won't know until the ban has been in place for some time and travel normalises under the new rules before airlines make decisions about this and I don't see it happening in less than a month.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
I have a feeling the ME3 will come up with some very creative ways to mitigate the impact to their load factors.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by kq747
I think it is waaaaay too early to tell if this will have a significant effect on business class pricing. It really depends on how this is practically handled by airlines and airports concerned, and whether the ban in fact inconveniences enough travelers that there is a large drop in J class demand. We simply won't know until the ban has been in place for some time and travel normalises under the new rules before airlines make decisions about this and I don't see it happening in less than a month.
Boy, I'm not so sure about that. I work for a large tech company, with major sites in North America, and a huge presence in India. Large numbers of employees travel between North America and India all the time. Most people I know prefer the ME3 airlines for those trips for a variety of reasons. And those people are not going to easily give up access to their laptops for the day or two that it takes to transit back. I can also easily imagine that it becomes a corporate policy to choose a different airline, not just because of the potential "loss" of a day of productivity, but also because of the concerns over corporate laptops (with proprietary info stored on them) being stolen. Yeah, there's encryption and other measures (many of which are already in place) but if the perception is that under the new policy, you not only "lose a day" because you've been denied access to your laptop, but that there's a significantly greater chance your company laptop is going to get pilfered....I can easily see the mandate to switch to a different carrier.

Of course, the real question is, will this islamic electronics ban be extended to all carriers eventually...

What fun it must be to be a business traveler who is already overseas, lugging along a laptop, iPad and camera...and to discover as you are about to check in for your flight home that all the goodies much now get tossed into the checked baggage hold (especially after you have already checked your bags...).

Good times ahead...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Boy, I'm not so sure about that. I work for a large tech company, with major sites in North America, and a huge presence in India. Large numbers of employees travel between North America and India all the time. Most people I know prefer the ME3 airlines for those trips for a variety of reasons. And those people are not going to easily give up access to their laptops for the day or two that it takes to transit back. I can also easily imagine that it becomes a corporate policy to choose a different airline, not just because of the potential "loss" of a day of productivity, but also because of the concerns over corporate laptops (with proprietary info stored on them) being stolen. Yeah, there's encryption and other measures (many of which are already in place) but if the perception is that under the new policy, you not only "lose a day" because you've been denied access to your laptop, but that there's a significantly greater chance your company laptop is going to get pilfered....I can easily see the mandate to switch to a different carrier.

Of course, the real question is, will this islamic electronics ban be extended to all carriers eventually...

What fun it must be to be a business traveler who is already overseas, lugging along a laptop, iPad and camera...and to discover as you are about to check in for your flight home that all the goodies much now get tossed into the checked baggage hold (especially after you have already checked your bags...).

Good times ahead...
I can see my company going towards laptops on loan in our destination offices - there's nothing that I need that can't be gotten from our private cloud/internal services. That kills two birds - the laptop issue, as well as the data theft issue, since laptops won't be crossing borders anymore.

And if I'm honest with myself, I don't work a single minute on the return flight to the US - I am way too tired. My strategy is to stay awake the whole night until after the breakfast service on the morning-departure US flights to reset back to my home time zone and get work done when it matters - in the office the next day.

And I don't work on the way over anyways - after dinner, and a few drinks at the bar, I sleep!

Last edited by Metanoia; Mar 22, 2017 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
So I'm flying Australia-DXB-USA on Saturday.

When do I have to check-in my laptop? In Sydney, or in Dubai?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by alanslegal
I have made a decision to never visit the USA whilst this joker of a president remains in the White House. With 11 visits in the past 10 years to the USA as a leisure traveller from Australia, he can make America Great Again without any of my holiday spending input, ableit only a tiny discretionary spending. Well at least now I can focus on hitting my 60th country sometime in 2017 as I have more time travelling elsewhere.

That said, cargo hold with potentially 100's of Lithium batteries is scary, scary, scary. Although I won't be flying to the USA anytime soon, it potentially affects ALL of us as there will no doubt be passengers who are connecting to an affected US bound flight and would likely have had to check-in their laptops/tablets/etc on the preceding flight to the US.

And any wanna-be-maniac who wants to do bad things to the USA, well would just fly another airline that's not affected. Remember which airlines were used in September 11 and this new ban looks ridiculous.
I agree and won't be going to the US until he's out.

The ban clearly has some political element to it otherwise why would the uk not enforce this ban against EK?

This will clearly be very damaging to EK - Sir Tim said bookings were down 35% to the US - I can't see this getting any better. They better load a few more bottles of DOM given there is nothing else to do...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Here is the big problem with Emirates. A lot of layovers can be for more than a couple of hours. What do these idiots at Homeland Security think I should do for my entire time at the airport? The laptop ban is stupid. The IPad bad is even worse.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by shuuy
So I'm flying Australia-DXB-USA on Saturday.

When do I have to check-in my laptop? In Sydney, or in Dubai?
A very long detour.
Straight over the ocean is faster and has no laptop ban.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Posted by NOIR in the construction thread:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-22/emirates-to-let-travelers-keep-laptops-tablets-until-boarding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.