Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Advice kindly sought re booking Emirates via JAL Mileage Bank

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice kindly sought re booking Emirates via JAL Mileage Bank

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:38 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by TAG2016
Hey guys,

Still a little confused about how to find out award availability through JAL... Do you have to call?

Thinking of transferring SPG points to JAL to book (DXB-MXP May 11, MXP-JFK May 14, JFK-DXB May 26). What is my best strategy? Can I confirm with JAL and then initiate the Starpoints so that the award availability doesn't disappear while I wait?

Thanks guys!
The easiest way is through Expertflyer.
A subscription is U$ 9.99 per month and you could cancel it when you don't need it anymore and reactive for your next trip.
It will give you limitless queries on award availability on many airlines (including EK). And you can set alerts to know when an award become available.
End of EF plug (I don't work for them and am not paid to advertise...)

So I looked up availability on the dates you mention. As you don't say how many seats and in which cabin, I looked for 2 seats in J and in Y.
11/05 DXB/MXP: Availability on all three flights in both J and Y
14/05 MXP/JFK: Only Y availability on EK102
26/05 JFK/DXB: Nothing at the moment.

Of course this may change at any time, up as well as down. This was 5 mini=utes ago.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
Originally Posted by thijsseh
A subscription is U$ 9.99 per month and you could cancel it when you don't need it anymore and reactive for your next trip.
It will give you limitless queries on award availability on many airlines (including EK). And you can set alerts to know when an award become available.

So I looked up availability on the dates you mention. As you don't say how many seats and in which cabin, I looked for 2 seats in J and in Y.

Of course this may change at any time, up as well as down. This was 5 mini=utes ago.
EK102 doesn't operate MXP-JFK. It is only EK205 if I recall correctly.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:43 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by HKprince
EK102 doesn't operate MXP-JFK. It is only EK205 if I recall correctly.
You are right. I missed the fact that this is a connection suggested by ExpertFlyer. A rather stupid one too: MXP/DXB/JFK

There is currently N bucket (Economy Saver award) availability on EK205 on 14/05. Not sure if N bucket is available to partners? That's something I cant get good info on anywhere.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TAG2016
Hey guys,

Still a little confused about how to find out award availability through JAL... Do you have to call?

Thinking of transferring SPG points to JAL to book (DXB-MXP May 11, MXP-JFK May 14, JFK-DXB May 26). What is my best strategy? Can I confirm with JAL and then initiate the Starpoints so that the award availability doesn't disappear while I wait?

Thanks guys!
As suggested by thijsseh, expertflyer is the best and most convenient option to look up partner award availability on EK. Classes to look for are Z for first, D for Biz and X for economy.

Though I would suggest to call JAL to confirm availability before transferring points, as I did notice a couple of cases where expertflyer was showing different availability than what JAL agent could see.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again

Would any kind soul be willing to check award availability for JFK to MXP, business class, four seats, during first week of June (Jun 1 - Jun 7)?

I have just spend a while clicking through Alaska's site and Emirates' own site, not sure if I am seeing discrepancies. Alaska does not seem to show avail whereas emirates does. I will be calling JAL when they open in AM to try to ticket.

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by bmir
Would any kind soul be willing to check award availability for JFK to MXP, business class, four seats, during first week of June (Jun 1 - Jun 7)?

I have just spend a while clicking through Alaska's site and Emirates' own site, not sure if I am seeing discrepancies. Alaska does not seem to show avail whereas emirates does. I will be calling JAL when they open in AM to try to ticket.

Thanks!
EK site is showing me at least 4 J Flex Plus Award seats on all days except 4th June @ 62,500 miles plus US $548.10 each. 4th June shows nothing available.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by ft101
EK site is showing me at least 4 J Flex Plus Award seats on all days except 4th June @ 62,500 miles plus US $548.10 each. 4th June shows nothing available.
Flex Plus does not work for JAL.

bmir: No Business Saver availability at all for the entire week 1-7 June. Four seats seem very unlikely.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:54 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by stargold

bmir: No Business Saver availability at all for the entire week 1-7 June. Four seats seem very unlikely.
Indeed, no availability for even one "D" (Business saver) seat that week.
My experience is that seats sometimes are made available some 4 days before the flight. For instance: there are 3 D seats available right now on 28/4 on EK206. I agree that 4 seats is very unlikely
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by stargold

Business Saver does not work for one way reward tickets, so between us we may have uncovered bmir's problem.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Business Saver does not work for one way reward tickets, so between us we may have uncovered bmir's problem.
JAL allows one-ways though
Old May 1, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again

Thank you all. I was indeed looking for a round trip ticket but only had availability mismatch with the outbound leg. After several phone calls with JAL I can say that at least for the dates I was looking at, Alaska consistently had one more seat available in business class than JAL showed over the phone. And Emirates availability to its own members was greater than or equal to Alaska. Hopefully that is a useful datapoint.

I have confirmed 7 of 8 seats of this r/t... now waiting for EK to open up one more business class seat!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Looking into booking 2 EK seats in J using JAL miles for a wedding in Jan but trying to figure out if this is the right plan of attack and would appreciate any feedback/insight.

Travel dates are slightly flexible as the wedding is in Dubai on 1/18-20 but I was thinking:

Jan 12(flexible +2 days) JFK > MXP (stop for a few days/flexible) > DXB (end 1st leg)
Jan 21 DXB > JFK
GCM puts this at 13,772 mi RT which looks like 85k redemption via JAL partner award

Now, the tricky part is JAL miles - I was thinking of transferring Chase UR points? I think I only need for 2 seats, with the conversion as follows:
1 Chase UR = 1 Marriott = 3 Starwood > 1:1 for JAL w/bonus 5,000 for every 20k points transferred

by that logic I would only need to transfer 47000 UR to get to 2 J tix on EK:
47k Chase UR > 47k Marriott > 141k Starwood > 141k+35kbonus = 176k JAL Partner Award for 2 (88k/ticket)

Does that look/sound correct? Looking to 'check my work' before moving forward with the points transfer as it is more complex than anything I've moved to date. Thank you!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by maewest
Looking into booking 2 EK seats in J using JAL miles for a wedding in Jan but trying to figure out if this is the right plan of attack and would appreciate any feedback/insight.

Travel dates are slightly flexible as the wedding is in Dubai on 1/18-20 but I was thinking:

Jan 12(flexible +2 days) JFK > MXP (stop for a few days/flexible) > DXB (end 1st leg)
Jan 21 DXB > JFK
GCM puts this at 13,772 mi RT which looks like 85k redemption via JAL partner award

Now, the tricky part is JAL miles - I was thinking of transferring Chase UR points? I think I only need for 2 seats, with the conversion as follows:
1 Chase UR = 1 Marriott = 3 Starwood > 1:1 for JAL w/bonus 5,000 for every 20k points transferred

by that logic I would only need to transfer 47000 UR to get to 2 J tix on EK:
47k Chase UR > 47k Marriott > 141k Starwood > 141k+35kbonus = 176k JAL Partner Award for 2 (88k/ticket)

Does that look/sound correct? Looking to 'check my work' before moving forward with the points transfer as it is more complex than anything I've moved to date. Thank you!
Well, I am pretty new to this, but I'm pretty sure your conversions are wrong. It's more like
3 UR = 3 Marriott = 1 SPG. So to get 141K SPG points you will need 423K UR points.

Sorry to spoil the plan.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
oof you're right. Thanks for catching that.... back to the drawing board.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Is anyone aware if I book an EK flight in business using JAL points, if at a later date an F seat opens up, can I move the ticket into F and just pay the difference in miles?

I'm looking to fly in a party of 3 in F. It's almost impossible that we'd find 3 seats in F on any flight, but if we can snag two, then we could book one person in J and then move it up to F if one more seat opens.

Anyone had any luck with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.