Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates seems desperate to generate more revenue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates seems desperate to generate more revenue

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Still not very good though. Just flown on EK 18 and it was half empty in economy (I had to change my flight at short notice from Tuesday to Thurday and despite having booked two mo ths ago there was very little fare difference - i had hoped that there would have been only flex tickets available). Similarly apparently there are 100 economy seats on my next flight EK 761 to Joburg.
But May (outside half term) and June are very quiet months and the utilisation figures are based on annual numbers including fluctuations.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I've not been to SYD but BHX has quite high load from what I've heard, forgot about MAN, good point m3red
Based on my direct experience (18 flights in four years), flights to/from SYD are feast or famine - either 100%, or less than 50% (in Y). It doesn't seem to be a gradual change or even seasonal - I've been on a full flight SYD-DXB and then a half-full flight DXB-SYD a week or so later.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: MR rewards
Lhr
muc
can
led
pvg
cdg
cmn
Old May 12, 2017, 2:44 am

Busiest routes

Surely jnb is one of their busier routes
Old May 12, 2017, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Booflyer1
Surely jnb is one of their busier routes
the 9am departure to DXB has never been >50% when I've flown it and I think that drops it quite a bit. Once there were 50 pax in Y out of 304 seats.. 16% load factor in Y. I had a great time
Old May 12, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by steveben53
The obvious saving will be to remove the bar from the A380. This would free up space for at least another 6 or even 8 seats.
The problem is that they're not filling the premium seats. Putting more premium seats in isn't going to solve that.

I can see them going down the Premium Y route though.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You should probably check your beliefs for the presence of other "alternate facts".
And I would go to add, just compare it to their 2 neighbours, EY and QR, and EK immediately stands out as all annual reports are available on their website.

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...l-reports.aspx

The FY16-17 report is already published, within 1 day of the results being announced.

GenevaFlyer
Old May 13, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by m3red
But May (outside half term) and June are very quiet months and the utilisation figures are based on annual numbers including fluctuations.

More revenue or less costs ...
In my usual outstation lounge, Perrier and Evian have been replaced by the cheapest local 'brand'.
On board, Voss has been replaced by Evian ...
But, this week, Godiva is back (though I don't know what is the actual impact on costs ...).
Old May 13, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
The problem is that they're not filling the premium seats. Putting more premium seats in isn't going to solve that.

I can see them going down the Premium Y route though.
Not sure what routes you fly but it's full for me most of the time.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Not sure what routes you fly but it's full for me most of the time.
I'd thumbsuck <30% average load in J/F on India routes, which probably accounts for ~30-40% of overall pax
Old May 13, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Still not very good though. Just flown on EK 18 and it was half empty in economy (I had to change my flight at short notice from Tuesday to Thurday and despite having booked two mo ths ago there was very little fare difference - i had hoped that there would have been only flex tickets available). Similarly apparently there are 100 economy seats on my next flight EK 761 to Joburg.
Probably why decisions aren't made on the basis of one flight.

CAA figures for March 17 show 85751 people travelled Manchester - Dubai in that month.

Given 3xA380 per day is roughly 75% occupancy. Doesn't seem bad.

An annual average gives roughly the same picture, so the seasonal downtime is compensated for in the peak months.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
Probably why decisions aren't made on the basis of one flight.

CAA figures for March 17 show 85751 people travelled Manchester - Dubai in that month.

Given 3xA380 per day is roughly 75% occupancy. Doesn't seem bad.

An annual average gives roughly the same picture, so the seasonal downtime is compensated for in the peak months.
75% is their breakeven load factor, and historically, bad for EK, especially ex-UK.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
75% is their breakeven load factor, and historically, bad for EK, especially ex-UK.
That's interesting.

How do the other airports hold up? I have no idea what they send to Heathrow, but CAA figures are available for loads so a quick calculation will give the percentages.

Though I would think that the capacity of the hold and of the F/J cabins is very important consideration. There must be another determinant other than utilisation, else EK wouldn't have upped the capacity to MAN (albeit we're in the dip with one rotation temporarily a 777).
Old May 13, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
That's interesting.

How do the other airports hold up? I have no idea what they send to Heathrow, but CAA figures are available for loads so a quick calculation will give the percentages.

Though I would think that the capacity of the hold and of the F/J cabins is very important consideration. There must be another determinant other than utilisation, else EK wouldn't have upped the capacity to MAN (albeit we're in the dip with one rotation temporarily a 777).
LHR had 2.6 million pax to/from Dubai, but we have to discount BA's capacity as well. EK fly 5x daily A380 (489 or 517 pax) and BA I think 2x772 and 1x744. I don't know their config though.

An A380 can only hold 8 tons of cargo, compared to a 77Ws 23 tons.

EK's current cargo yield is 1.12 USD/kg - but that is similar to other network carriers.

A380s are much more dependent on pax revenue than cargo to be viable.

imho the reason the two reasons that EK continue the frequencies they do to the UK even with the drop in load factors is:

- unavoidable deployment because they have so many A380s
- the UK is their one major O&D source market (apart from intra-GCC): on average you've got more profitable pax for that sector, so it's less of a financial stress to have a 75% plane going to/from the UK than to say, BKK or DPS.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
LHR had 2.6 million pax to/from Dubai, but we have to discount BA's capacity as well. EK fly 5x daily A380 (489 or 517 pax) and BA I think 2x772 and 1x744. I don't know their config though.

An A380 can only hold 8 tons of cargo, compared to a 77Ws 23 tons.

EK's current cargo yield is 1.12 USD/kg - but that is similar to other network carriers.

A380s are much more dependent on pax revenue than cargo to be viable.

imho the reason the two reasons that EK continue the frequencies they do to the UK even with the drop in load factors is:

- unavoidable deployment because they have so many A380s
- the UK is their one major O&D source market (apart from intra-GCC): on average you've got more profitable pax for that sector, so it's less of a financial stress to have a 75% plane going to/from the UK than to say, BKK or DPS.
Virgin and Royal Brunei are also in the equation on LHR-DXB.

That cargo figure is interesting - where did you find that?

75% still seems a shockingly high figure to be the breakeven.

Well I am willing to take your word on that, but I do stand by my defence of anecdotal evidence being challenged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.