Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates seems desperate to generate more revenue

Emirates seems desperate to generate more revenue

Old May 11, 17, 9:09 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MAN DXB ✈️
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 6,528
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum View Post
Still not very good though. Just flown on EK 18 and it was half empty in economy (I had to change my flight at short notice from Tuesday to Thurday and despite having booked two mo ths ago there was very little fare difference - i had hoped that there would have been only flex tickets available). Similarly apparently there are 100 economy seats on my next flight EK 761 to Joburg.
But May (outside half term) and June are very quiet months and the utilisation figures are based on annual numbers including fluctuations.
m3red is offline  
Old May 12, 17, 1:03 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SYD (usually), GVA (occasionally)
Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Posts: 5,042
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
I've not been to SYD but BHX has quite high load from what I've heard, forgot about MAN, good point m3red
Based on my direct experience (18 flights in four years), flights to/from SYD are feast or famine - either 100%, or less than 50% (in Y). It doesn't seem to be a gradual change or even seasonal - I've been on a full flight SYD-DXB and then a half-full flight DXB-SYD a week or so later.
RadioGirl is offline  
Old May 12, 17, 3:33 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Programs: MR rewards
Posts: 272
Lhr
muc
can
led
pvg
cdg
cmn
weld3z is offline  
Old May 12, 17, 3:44 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Busiest routes

Surely jnb is one of their busier routes
Booflyer1 is offline  
Old May 12, 17, 3:46 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,781
Originally Posted by Booflyer1 View Post
Surely jnb is one of their busier routes
the 9am departure to DXB has never been >50% when I've flown it and I think that drops it quite a bit. Once there were 50 pax in Y out of 304 seats.. 16% load factor in Y. I had a great time
skywardhunter is offline  
Old May 12, 17, 5:23 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Programs: Starbucks Gold
Posts: 199
Originally Posted by steveben53 View Post
The obvious saving will be to remove the bar from the A380. This would free up space for at least another 6 or even 8 seats.
The problem is that they're not filling the premium seats. Putting more premium seats in isn't going to solve that.

I can see them going down the Premium Y route though.
Arctic Troll is offline  
Old May 12, 17, 9:28 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DWC/DXB
Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Posts: 3,048
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
You should probably check your beliefs for the presence of other "alternate facts".
And I would go to add, just compare it to their 2 neighbours, EY and QR, and EK immediately stands out as all annual reports are available on their website.

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...l-reports.aspx

The FY16-17 report is already published, within 1 day of the results being announced.

GenevaFlyer
GenevaFlyer is offline  
Old May 13, 17, 7:11 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Europe
Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Posts: 1,076
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
But May (outside half term) and June are very quiet months and the utilisation figures are based on annual numbers including fluctuations.

More revenue or less costs ...
In my usual outstation lounge, Perrier and Evian have been replaced by the cheapest local 'brand'.
On board, Voss has been replaced by Evian ...
But, this week, Godiva is back (though I don't know what is the actual impact on costs ...).
ioto1902 is offline  
Old May 13, 17, 7:32 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MAN DXB ✈️
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 6,528
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll View Post
The problem is that they're not filling the premium seats. Putting more premium seats in isn't going to solve that.

I can see them going down the Premium Y route though.
Not sure what routes you fly but it's full for me most of the time.
m3red is offline  
Old May 13, 17, 7:39 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,781
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Not sure what routes you fly but it's full for me most of the time.
I'd thumbsuck <30% average load in J/F on India routes, which probably accounts for ~30-40% of overall pax
skywardhunter is offline  
Old May 13, 17, 11:35 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Maastricht, Cheshire, Kanungu
Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum View Post
Still not very good though. Just flown on EK 18 and it was half empty in economy (I had to change my flight at short notice from Tuesday to Thurday and despite having booked two mo ths ago there was very little fare difference - i had hoped that there would have been only flex tickets available). Similarly apparently there are 100 economy seats on my next flight EK 761 to Joburg.
Probably why decisions aren't made on the basis of one flight.

CAA figures for March 17 show 85751 people travelled Manchester - Dubai in that month.

Given 3xA380 per day is roughly 75% occupancy. Doesn't seem bad.

An annual average gives roughly the same picture, so the seasonal downtime is compensated for in the peak months.
maastrichtmouse is offline  
Old May 13, 17, 1:44 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,156
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse View Post
Probably why decisions aren't made on the basis of one flight.

CAA figures for March 17 show 85751 people travelled Manchester - Dubai in that month.

Given 3xA380 per day is roughly 75% occupancy. Doesn't seem bad.

An annual average gives roughly the same picture, so the seasonal downtime is compensated for in the peak months.
75% is their breakeven load factor, and historically, bad for EK, especially ex-UK.
eternaltransit is offline  
Old May 13, 17, 2:17 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Maastricht, Cheshire, Kanungu
Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
75% is their breakeven load factor, and historically, bad for EK, especially ex-UK.
That's interesting.

How do the other airports hold up? I have no idea what they send to Heathrow, but CAA figures are available for loads so a quick calculation will give the percentages.

Though I would think that the capacity of the hold and of the F/J cabins is very important consideration. There must be another determinant other than utilisation, else EK wouldn't have upped the capacity to MAN (albeit we're in the dip with one rotation temporarily a 777).
maastrichtmouse is offline  
Old May 13, 17, 2:48 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,156
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse View Post
That's interesting.

How do the other airports hold up? I have no idea what they send to Heathrow, but CAA figures are available for loads so a quick calculation will give the percentages.

Though I would think that the capacity of the hold and of the F/J cabins is very important consideration. There must be another determinant other than utilisation, else EK wouldn't have upped the capacity to MAN (albeit we're in the dip with one rotation temporarily a 777).
LHR had 2.6 million pax to/from Dubai, but we have to discount BA's capacity as well. EK fly 5x daily A380 (489 or 517 pax) and BA I think 2x772 and 1x744. I don't know their config though.

An A380 can only hold 8 tons of cargo, compared to a 77Ws 23 tons.

EK's current cargo yield is 1.12 USD/kg - but that is similar to other network carriers.

A380s are much more dependent on pax revenue than cargo to be viable.

imho the reason the two reasons that EK continue the frequencies they do to the UK even with the drop in load factors is:

- unavoidable deployment because they have so many A380s
- the UK is their one major O&D source market (apart from intra-GCC): on average you've got more profitable pax for that sector, so it's less of a financial stress to have a 75% plane going to/from the UK than to say, BKK or DPS.
eternaltransit is offline  
Old May 13, 17, 3:24 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Maastricht, Cheshire, Kanungu
Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
LHR had 2.6 million pax to/from Dubai, but we have to discount BA's capacity as well. EK fly 5x daily A380 (489 or 517 pax) and BA I think 2x772 and 1x744. I don't know their config though.

An A380 can only hold 8 tons of cargo, compared to a 77Ws 23 tons.

EK's current cargo yield is 1.12 USD/kg - but that is similar to other network carriers.

A380s are much more dependent on pax revenue than cargo to be viable.

imho the reason the two reasons that EK continue the frequencies they do to the UK even with the drop in load factors is:

- unavoidable deployment because they have so many A380s
- the UK is their one major O&D source market (apart from intra-GCC): on average you've got more profitable pax for that sector, so it's less of a financial stress to have a 75% plane going to/from the UK than to say, BKK or DPS.
Virgin and Royal Brunei are also in the equation on LHR-DXB.

That cargo figure is interesting - where did you find that?

75% still seems a shockingly high figure to be the breakeven.

Well I am willing to take your word on that, but I do stand by my defence of anecdotal evidence being challenged.
maastrichtmouse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: