Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to north Kerala

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Emirates
Flights to north Kerala

I'm planning a trip to India. In the past I've found Kozhikode (Calicut) very convenient but I know that Emirates stopped flying there "temporarily" in late 2015 when the runway was resurfaced. I understood that they were due to fly from the new airport at Kannur when it opened. I found this comment from Oct 2015:

Emirates to Kannur in 2016
Quote:The world's biggest international carrier based in the UAE has confirmed operation of international flights from Kannur, Kerala's fourth international airport, once it becomes functional, according to a report in the Times of India.
The airline has sought permission to start services from mid 2016. A letter in this regard was written to Civil Aviation Secretary Rajiv Nayan Chaubey by Dubai Civil Aviation Authority Director General Mohammed A Ahli. The report quoted Ahli as saying that Emirates was keen to launch services to Kannur airport as soon as it becomes operational. Ahli cited the inconvenience caused to Calicut-bound passengers owing to repair works at Karipur airport and hoped that operation to Kannur will address the problem partially.

Interesting, I would assume that either the Dubai/India bilateral is being modified in the near future, or special provisions are being made for the Kannur to operate outside the bilateral's restrictions.
or special provisions are being made for the Kannur to operate outside the bilateral's restrictions. (CaptainEKAirbus)

Does anyone have any up to date information about this as I can find nothing? Interestingly, there is still some information about Kozhikode on the EK website (https://www.emirates.com/english/des...kozhikode.aspx)
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:31 am

From what I read India will not budge on bilateral allotments with UAE or Qatar even after repeated requests, quid-pro-quos and every other stick carrot techniques.

EK has to live within current allotment +/- allowed margin. Same for QR or Air Arabia. Only EY is an exception.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Emirates
My point is that they were already flying to that region. Have they transferred the permitted flights elsewhere (Kochi??). It is unusual for them to just give up an apparently popular destination. Loads always seemed high when I flew, though admittedly it was sometimes on an A330 or smaller 777. Is the route a victim of the move to just larger wide-bodied aircraft?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.