Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Emirates Baggage Guide Thread FAQ

The Ultimate Emirates Baggage Guide Thread FAQ

Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Enthilza
Greetings Folks,

I will be traveling with EK from DXB to JFK inibusiness and I know that they will apply the "piece concept" which means 2 checked luggage with a max of 32kg in each.

However, is it possible to pay for a 3rd checked luggage? EK website does not state that it is not possible but there is no mention of excess luggage in the "piece concept". So is it just 2 no matter what or can I pay for an additional one?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I do not have my ticket yet so I cannot have a look at the "manage my booking" section of the website.
I believe so, yes. I once accompanied a friend to EK check-in in CPT (flights originating in Africa also have the piece concept) and they were overweight. The check-in agent said they could pay for an extra bag, I think it was $70 or so. As far as excess luggage charges go this isn't a bad deal if you get a full 32kg additionally.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:55 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Greetings Folks,

I will be traveling with EK from DXB to JFK inibusiness and I know that they will apply the "piece concept" which means 2 checked luggage with a max of 32kg in each.

However, is it possible to pay for a 3rd checked luggage? EK website does not state that it is not possible but there is no mention of excess luggage in the "piece concept". So is it just 2 no matter what or can I pay for an additional one?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I do not have my ticket yet so I cannot have a look at the "manage my booking" section of the website.
When departing from South Africa we also have the 'pice concept' and MMB always tells me that I cannot purchase additional baggage allowance.

If the same applies to the US I cannot say, but it is a reference point.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Thanks @skywardhunter and @thijsseh.

My employer has purchased the ticket so I should receive the references soon. I will check and report back here.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
Greetings Folks,

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can purchase additional baggage on the website, or at the airport when you check-in. Obviously the airport rates will be higher.

Once you are able to get into the MMB section on the website, you will see that option.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
OK, I got my ticket and, as @mannimagus and others have said, the answer is yes you can.

Of course my situation is a bit more complex because the first leg of my flight (KBL-DXB) is operated by Flydubai which means that I have the following message in the MMB section "You cannot purchase excess baggage for this flight, as it is not operated by Emirates, or you are connecting to/from a flight not operated by Emirates". On top of that when I called EK they said that I should deal with FZ and when I called FZ they said I should deal with the travel agency who booked the ticket

Thanks for your help folks.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I'm flying CDG-DXB-MEL next month and the baggage allowance is the weight concept. I am on a QF codeshare ticket (so I can get my miles credited to AA) and thus I cannot purchase additional baggage online.

Am I still able to do so at the airport?

Any way to purchase in advance to save a few dollars?

PS - is it me or are the weight restrictions quite severe? On JL and AA, it's 3 pieces of 70 pounds each but on EK its 88 pounds total. I'm on a business class ticket. Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:25 pm

Any experience if they would care if my bags are 65 or 62 even though officially its only 59?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:08 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Did not see this explicitly addressed in this thread, but does Emirates allow pooling of the allowance for pax in the same booking? So if three pax each have a 20kg allowance, are 2 suitcases of 25kg allowed?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Did not see this explicitly addressed in this thread, but does Emirates allow pooling of the allowance for pax in the same booking? So if three pax each have a 20kg allowance, are 2 suitcases of 25kg allowed?
Yes this is allowed.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
You should be fine. In some markets, the maximum weight of a piece of checked baggage is 23kg. The reduced weight is due to manual handling regulations stating baggage handlers should not have to lift above 23kg. As you are only looking at a 25kg bag, it would have to be one pernickerty check in agent to refuse your bag for being 2kg over if the 23kg weight applies.

But I once worked for a ground handler handling a certain British airline and we were once briefed to reject any bag over 23kg due to manual handling regulations in the state in question. The airline was very strict with agents about this.

I have know EK to get very strict about imposing regulations from time to time but think you would be unlucky to get rejected for 25kg bags.

In markets where 32kg bags are the maximum, to you should not pack above this weight as 32kg is quite heavy for a lot of staff and I do not think one should expect handlers to lift above this.

23 or 25kg is not that heavy though.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the replies all.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:53 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Will EK check through a bag to SA Airlink on separate tickets? I see they have a codeshare agreement, but flying DXB-JNB in F and the connecting to an Airlink flight to Namibia. Trying to avoid entering South Africa. Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by A4K
Will EK check through a bag to SA Airlink on separate tickets? I see they have a codeshare agreement, but flying DXB-JNB in F and the connecting to an Airlink flight to Namibia. Trying to avoid entering South Africa. Thanks!
Yes, they will.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I could not find this covered in this thread.

I will be flying Emirates from EU to SE Asia in a couple of weeks in J. Do they really enforce the max 2 pieces of carry on rule? I was hoping to take with me a regular slimmish Rimowa-type case, a thin suit bag (the one that folds into two with some shirts inside) and a thin laptop briefcase, so as to not have to check luggage at all. This will be my first time flying with them, so I am not sure how much they would enforce this (if at all). Thank you
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by JFSV
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I could not find this covered in this thread.

I will be flying Emirates from EU to SE Asia in a couple of weeks in J. Do they really enforce the max 2 pieces of carry on rule? I was hoping to take with me a regular slimmish Rimowa-type case, a thin suit bag (the one that folds into two with some shirts inside) and a thin laptop briefcase, so as to not have to check luggage at all. This will be my first time flying with them, so I am not sure how much they would enforce this (if at all). Thank you
95% of the time im travelling with pieces you describe and never had a problem in J or F.
JFSV likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.