Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusingand we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates SkywardsOur award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and a wide selection of partners, and also enhances your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/english/sky.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2015/2016 thread: Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Ambassador
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Because your review date is every 12 months but EK give you the status for an extra 2 anyway. This has the benefit that you might drop and re-earn it before actually losing the benefits. As ft101 points out it's a rolling qualification period so you'll need to consider if you have 50k in March taking into account that you can't include Feb this year anymore (which is included in the amount EK now tells you is needed. Rolling 13-month window)
Understood - looking at March-March it shows the following:

Tier Miles earned during months displayed below:55,228 Miles

Does that mean they will renew me as gold?

Last edited by JSR2014; Oct 12, 2017 at 3:25 am
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by JSR2014
Understood - looking at March-March it shows the following:

Tier Miles earned during months displayed below:55,228 Miles

Does that mean they will renew me as gold?
Well technically you'll qualify as Gold, not renew, since your renewal is in Feb, but yes, you'll retain Gold without interruption, and probably have your review date reset to March instead of Feb. You never know though, EK does occasionally grant early renewal, especially if end of Feb you're only 1000 miles or so short.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:30 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Well technically you'll qualify as Gold, not renew, since your renewal is in Feb, but yes, you'll retain Gold without interruption, and probably have your review date reset to March instead of Feb. You never know though, EK does occasionally grant early renewal, especially if end of Feb you're only 1000 miles or so short.
This is exactly the issue I mentioned upthread a few weeks ago (albeit it is about Silver renewal rather than Gold).
I had to earn another 3000 odd tier miles by 31 October to renew Silver. Well, that did not happen (and they just sent me a mail telling me they are giving me an extra month to get those miles, but that's not going to happen either I'm afraid).
But on 30 September and also on 31 October I had well over 33000 miles in the 'running months' (I have taken screenshots to be able to show this).
So surely, on that basis, I should now get a 'new' Silver status rather than a 'renewal'? That is actually how I got my first Silver status last year, based on a single month of >30000 miles in October 2016.

It is sort of important as I am for the first time in a few years transiting through DXB in Y () in January so lounge use would be useful. On the way back I'm in F (don't ask why the discrepancy), so not as much of an issue.

(And with another trip in April, I should be >50000 for a rolling month to get Gold)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
This is exactly the issue I mentioned upthread a few weeks ago (albeit it is about Silver renewal rather than Gold).
I had to earn another 3000 odd tier miles by 31 October to renew Silver. Well, that did not happen (and they just sent me a mail telling me they are giving me an extra month to get those miles, but that's not going to happen either I'm afraid).
But on 30 September and also on 31 October I had well over 33000 miles in the 'running months' (I have taken screenshots to be able to show this).
So surely, on that basis, I should now get a 'new' Silver status rather than a 'renewal'?
No.

At renewal time they only look at the 12 month period since you got your Silver badge so you didn't re-qualify. Under normal circumstances, a month later it sounds like you would have re-qualified under the 13 month rule, but as they'd extended your membership they've looked at only 12 months again.

It seems like they've not done you a favour by extending like this - I wonder if it was deliberate?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:53 am

Best use of miles

Hi,

Any help would be appreciated. I want to travel LON to SEZ in late 2018 (2 people) in Business. Am a blue member with 200,000 points, an EK credit card, and also have a companion voucher.
I believe I need 260,000 points to get biz reward flight for both people. I could do this by buying 25K this year, 25K next and picking up rest on credit card - but is this a good option?
Or I could pay cash for Econ Flex or Flex+ and use points to upgrade. EK have told me that I can’t upgrade at time of booking (is this correct?). But I don’t want to run risk of being in Econ if I can’t get an upgrade - especially if I’ve ‘overpaid’ for flex that I don’t really need.
Or I could buy one full price Biz ticket and use companion voucher - but as I have to buy a flex biz fare this doesn’t seem to make sense. (can using a companion voucher ever make sense in biz?)
Or cash + miles - but that seems very poor value?
Sorry, so many Qs.

Thanks, buzz
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Ian Burrows
Hi,

Any help would be appreciated. I want to travel LON to SEZ in late 2018 (2 people) in Business. Am a blue member with 200,000 points, an EK credit card, and also have a companion voucher.
I believe I need 260,000 points to get biz reward flight for both people. I could do this by buying 25K this year, 25K next and picking up rest on credit card - but is this a good option?
Or I could pay cash for Econ Flex or Flex+ and use points to upgrade. EK have told me that I can’t upgrade at time of booking (is this correct?). But I don’t want to run risk of being in Econ if I can’t get an upgrade - especially if I’ve ‘overpaid’ for flex that I don’t really need.
Or I could buy one full price Biz ticket and use companion voucher - but as I have to buy a flex biz fare this doesn’t seem to make sense. (can using a companion voucher ever make sense in biz?)
Or cash + miles - but that seems very poor value?
Sorry, so many Qs.

Thanks, buzz
Best option is to purchase Econ (Y) and upgrade, however you will still be hit with additional taxes due to the UK APD. With an outright award the taxes and surcharges may be as much as a Y ticket.

You can upgrade at time of booking on a Flex or Flex Plus ticket, but only if there is availability, which there isn't always. The EK website shows in the search results whether upgrade availability exists at time of booking. If it doesn't it may open up later - but there is no guarantee.

If you were Silver or above you could upgrade on board as well if space is available, however as Blue you can also upgrade at check-in if there are seats, however you will pay the full mileage amount for each leg, rather than the reduced through-amount for LON-(DXB)-SEZ
Ian Burrows likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:51 am

Best option is to purchase Econ (Y) and upgrade, however you will still be hit with additional taxes due to the UK APD. With an outright award the taxes and surcharges may be as much as a Y ticket.

You can upgrade at time of booking on a Flex or Flex Plus ticket, but only if there is availability, which there isn't always. The EK website shows in the search results whether upgrade availability exists at time of booking. If it doesn't it may open up later - but there is no guarantee.

If you were Silver or above you could upgrade on board as well if space is available, however as Blue you can also upgrade at check-in if there are seats, however you will pay the full mileage amount for each leg, rather than the reduced through-amount for LON-(DXB)-SEZ
Thanks - this is really helpful. Where in the search results does it show upgrade availability - I can’t seem to find this. Thx
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Ian Burrows
Thanks - this is really helpful. Where in the search results does it show upgrade availability - I can’t seem to find this. Thx
​​​​​​
the first screen which shows flight combinations, if there's no availability then it doesn't appear - often the case. It's a little overlay which you'll notice quite easily, I think it says "Upgrade Available" or something
Ian Burrows likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:45 am

​​​​​​
the first screen which shows flight combinations, if there's no availability then it doesn't appear - often the case. It's a little overlay which you'll notice quite easily, I think it says "Upgrade Available" or something
I always look for J Saver Reward availability when I'm looking for upgrade availability, so you may be describing something I've just never noticed. Can you post a screenshot for what you describe?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I always look for J Saver Reward availability when I'm looking for upgrade availability, so you may be describing something I've just never noticed. Can you post a screenshot for what you describe?
I've not seen it in a while - it had been discussed on here about 2 months ago, perhaps it has been discontinued, or it's just hard to find a flight with upgrade availability at time of booking. Just tried a bunch of different dates and city pairs and couldn't find it.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:54 am

So I'm looking for 2 F award tickets from MXP to JFK around April/May next year. There are some availability right now on Thursdays/Fridays but I was wondering if seats open up regularly or is this basically what is it?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:57 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by phant0m
So I'm looking for 2 F award tickets from MXP to JFK around April/May next year. There are some availability right now on Thursdays/Fridays but I was wondering if seats open up regularly or is this basically what is it?
I have not looked in any detail at award availability for that sector, but as a general rule I would suggest to grab available award seats if the dates suit you. Other seats MAY open up, but there is absolutely no guarantee.
If you have an Expert Flyer subscription, you can try to look for patterns, but I have found it difficult in the past to discover anything reliable.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
I have not looked in any detail at award availability for that sector, but as a general rule I would suggest to grab available award seats if the dates suit you. Other seats MAY open up, but there is absolutely no guarantee.
If you have an Expert Flyer subscription, you can try to look for patterns, but I have found it difficult in the past to discover anything reliable.
I agree with this...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi folks, think I know the answer to this one but looking for confirmation / correction from EK experts.

A small percentage of my Skywards miles are due to expire next February. Am not quite ready to finalise my next trip with EK, so intend to use up the miles for a quick European hop with EasyJet, rather than lose them.

Am I right in thinking that provided a redemption booking is actually made (at which point miles will be immediately deducted from my account) before the expiry date, then the actual travel dates are irrelevant, ie in terms of said expiry.....?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Hi folks, think I know the answer to this one but looking for confirmation / correction from EK experts.

A small percentage of my Skywards miles are due to expire next February. Am not quite ready to finalise my next trip with EK, so intend to use up the miles for a quick European hop with EasyJet, rather than lose them.

Am I right in thinking that provided a redemption booking is actually made (at which point miles will be immediately deducted from my account) before the expiry date, then the actual travel dates are irrelevant, ie in terms of said expiry.....?
Correct, but if that redemption is later cancelled the expired miles will not be returned to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.