Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusingand we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates SkywardsOur award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and a wide selection of partners, and also enhances your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/english/sky.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2015/2016 thread: Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Ambassador
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:10 am

TATL with skywards

Hello all, I have quite some Skywards which I need to use (business class flights). I need only TATL flights, MXP-NYC seems the best alternative because taxes are cheaper than NYC-MXP. Do you know any alternative routes which could make sense? What happened to TAP (LIS-MIA could be an interesting alternative if low miles and tax required). Alaska and Jetblue (still) do not have TATLs...
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tortellini
Hello all, I have quite some Skywards which I need to use (business class flights). I need only TATL flights, MXP-NYC seems the best alternative because taxes are cheaper than NYC-MXP. Do you know any alternative routes which could make sense? What happened to TAP (LIS-MIA could be an interesting alternative if low miles and tax required). Alaska and Jetblue (still) do not have TATLs...
ATH-EWR?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Had a mixed experience upgrading a JFK-DXB-MAA Y flex ticket the other day.

When I booked the ticket last week, DXB-MAA was available for upgrade, and I went through with it. At the same time, I set up EK as well as EF alerts for JFK-DXB upgrade (not auto-upgrade).

I still kept checking MMB every so often, and voila - upgrade available! Note at this time, neither EK or EF alerted me.

Called in, and a few minutes later a very efficient agent confirmed the upgrade at the combined cost for JFK-MAA, refunding the miles spent for DXB-MAA.

Eventually, I got the EK alert email 24 hours later (87 hours before my flight) and EF alert another 6 hours later.

Needless to say, my trust in these alerts went down a notch after this. I do wonder if auto-upgrade function would've processed the upgrade earlier than the alert?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by MosquesAndKebabs

When I booked the ticket last week, DXB-MAA was available for upgrade, and I went through with it. At the same time, I set up EK as well as EF alerts for JFK-DXB upgrade (not auto-upgrade).

I still kept checking MMB every so often, and voila - upgrade available! Note at this time, neither EK or EF alerted me.

Called in, and a few minutes later a very efficient agent confirmed the upgrade at the combined cost for JFK-MAA, refunding the miles spent for DXB-MAA.

Eventually, I got the EK alert email 24 hours later (87 hours before my flight) and EF alert another 6 hours later.

Needless to say, my trust in these alerts went down a notch after this. I do wonder if auto-upgrade function would've processed the upgrade earlier than the alert?

Yeah it's processed in batches evidently, I've had similar experiences, even where MMB said not available but agent on phone said it was. Not that auto upgrade will not use the combined cost
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MosquesAndKebabs

+1 for similar circumstance. SYD - DXB - MAN, no upgrade showing on EF or MMB, however agent processed it on the phone.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: EK Silver...just
Just come off MEL/DXB/MAN. Managed to upgrade the MEL/DXB long before with miles to F, and still couldn't get the DXB/MAN leg. Spoke with EK in MEL (on phone) as said they'd WL me for DXB/MAN and would be credited miles back against whole journey - Was 71,000 for MEL/DXB and only 82,000 MEL/MAN.
On arrival in Dubai the Skywards desk first said i hadn't been waitlisted, but said there were F seats now, but it would be 39,000 miles for this leg and i couldn't 'combine them all the way from Melbourne'.
Anyone had similar experience?
Seems i wouldn't have been able to use any combined miles once i'd broken the journey in Dubai...is this correct or should i have fought my corner more?
Cheers
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by MarshyM
Just come off MEL/DXB/MAN. Managed to upgrade the MEL/DXB long before with miles to F, and still couldn't get the DXB/MAN leg. Spoke with EK in MEL (on phone) as said they'd WL me for DXB/MAN and would be credited miles back against whole journey - Was 71,000 for MEL/DXB and only 82,000 MEL/MAN.
On arrival in Dubai the Skywards desk first said i hadn't been waitlisted, but said there were F seats now, but it would be 39,000 miles for this leg and i couldn't 'combine them all the way from Melbourne'.
Anyone had similar experience?
Seems i wouldn't have been able to use any combined miles once i'd broken the journey in Dubai...is this correct or should i have fought my corner more?
Cheers
No experience with this situation but I can understand if this is the case, since you've already flown one leg
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: EK Gold, FB Silver
When did EK increase the Miles needed to upgrade again? I'm booked in Y FLEX to Abuja, and got quoted 46,800 miles to upgrade. Last time I checked it was 39,000 miles in FLEX, which is exactly 20% increase!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Looking at booking EDI-DXB return over Christmas period through AMEX travel. I see there is reward seats to upgrade into.

1. Will this be eligible to upgrade with points from Y-J? Would be Flex Y.
2. How much extra in taxes is generally charged for a retune upgrade like this from the UK?

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Looking at booking EDI-DXB return over Christmas period through AMEX travel. I see there is reward seats to upgrade into.

1. Will this be eligible to upgrade with points from Y-J? Would be Flex Y.
2. How much extra in taxes is generally charged for a retune upgrade like this from the UK?

Thanks
1. Yes
2. I think it's just the 75GBP for the ex UK leg
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
1. Yes
Thats great. Thanks for quick reply.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
1. Yes
And still eligible for chauffeur I presume?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
And still eligible for chauffeur I presume?
Absolutely. Just upgraded PRG-DXB with miles today and am able to book CD, and have used CD many times on upgraded tickets
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:57 am

What program to credit Emirates flight to?

What's the best program to credit my Emirates economy flight towards if I want to use the miles for domestic (US) travel?

I'm flying IAH-DXB-DEL and BLR-DXB-IAH in classes X and Q over the holidays. On the Emirates website it says I'll earn 12,500 Skywards miles for the flights. However, if I credit them to my Jetblue account, I'll earn 1 point/2 miles or 9670 miles.

Are there any better options? I'd like to be able to use the points on United or at least easily from IAH/ATL/DTW, but the ability to pool points with Jetblue is attractive (9670<10000). I thought about crediting it to Korean. However according to their website, Emirates flights that don't have Korean Air as an operating carrier don't earn points.

TIA

Last edited by vikster101; Nov 12, 2018 at 6:06 am
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by vikster101
What's the best program to credit my Emirates economy flight towards if I want to use the miles for domestic (US) travel?

I'm flying IAH-DXB-DEL and BLR-DXB-IAH in classes X and Q over the holidays. On the Emirates website, it says I'll earn 12,500 Skywards miles for the flights. However, if I credit them to my Jetblue account, I'll earn 1 point/2 miles or 9670 miles.

Are there any better options? I'd like to be able to use the points on United or at least easily from IAH/ATL/DTW, but the ability to pool points with Jetblue is attractive (9670<10000). I thought about crediting it to Korean. However according to their website, Emirates flights that don't have Korean Air as an operating carrier don't earn points.

TIA
AS seems to be a popular choice, although I don't know too much about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.