Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusingand we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates SkywardsOur award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and a wide selection of partners, and also enhances your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/english/sky.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2015/2016 thread: Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Ambassador
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: EK Blue :-( BAEC
Thanks ft101, I can see a 'wee' seat at top of fare now when you do a dummy booking. Am happy to pay the J return leg and use miles on outbound if I can bag the upgrade. Last question, if I book do I have to log in for miles upgrade after booking? it's been so long since I did it, I had to use expiring miles on shopping last year as I was unable to fly and didn't want to lose my hard earned points!! TIA
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tummytank
Thanks ft101, I can see a 'wee' seat at top of fare now when you do a dummy booking. Am happy to pay the J return leg and use miles on outbound if I can bag the upgrade. Last question, if I book do I have to log in for miles upgrade after booking? it's been so long since I did it, I had to use expiring miles on shopping last year as I was unable to fly and didn't want to lose my hard earned points!! TIA
Yes, how would you do it without logging in?

You could also call.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:18 am

skywardhunter the agent said there was no availability so I didn't see the point of calling again...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

skywardhunter the agent said there was no availability so I didn't see the point of calling again...
Then you'll need log on and upgrade.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:41 am

Sounds like the agent was wrong, call back and ask again, you'll probably get a different agent, and if they say there isn't availability tell them you see it online. Are you sure you see two award seats, not just one? The agent may have meant there's no availability for two
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: United, Starwood
Best Advice for figuring out upgrade availability

Hi folks, I have three seats in economy on Emirates flying 8/23 from DXB to IAD. I'd love to upgrade us all to business, but the online upgrade screen says not available. The load appears to be wide open for the flight (at least to these newbie eyes), but I'm wondering what I'm missing, or what, if anything, I should do next. This is my first Emirates flight, and therefore unsure if they will release more seats closer to the flight date, or what the protocol is here. Thank you for any advice!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:16 pm

There's no set pattern but if EK forecasts that they will sell all J seats they won't open anything up, definitely not 2 or more seats. Been waiting for an upgrade to become available to FLL for 3 months and now J is almost full and no upgrades
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:43 pm

*Update* I'm booked!
Got an up-grade sorted for outbound journey and bought j saver for return (was actually cheaper than the outbound and upgrade wasn't available for return).
Had to call the emirates centre and got an agent that was really good as he had to take miles from each account as it wouldn't let me do it online.
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm relearning...slowly. Hopefully 1st of more trips in the pipeline
thijsseh and sydtogla like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks for the quick response. Its a straight GLA-DXB out 08/03/2019 return 17/03/2019 nothing fancy Upgrade from Y to J using miles only. He said nothing available either way but when I try using reward it says 2 seats available on out bound leg and he said there wasn't???? hence why I don't want to spend £996 on 50,000 miles approx
Did you buy a Flex plus economy ticket so you required less miles for the upgrade? £996 is a crazy amount to spend on miles.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Sorry for the nub question but does Emirates allow you to hold award reservations while you transfer in AMEX points? I assume no but figured I would ask. Concerned that there would be availability for flights I wanted and then I transfer in from AMEX only to not have availability once my points get there. I would then be stuck with miles in Emirates program which I have no use for other than this award booking.

Looking to fly ATH-EWR non-stop in June 2019 and when I log into my Emirate FF account (I have a zero balance) it shows availability for the date I am wanting to book 2 J awards. Cost of 125k miles and Euro 560 (total for 2 pax) is worth it since LH and BA awards require less miles but have higher taxes and I would have to connect on the way back to NYC. Stupid DL wants 280k per person one way and UA has no availability that works.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:29 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by christianj
Sorry for the nub question but does Emirates allow you to hold award reservations while you transfer in AMEX points? I assume no but figured I would ask. Concerned that there would be availability for flights I wanted and then I transfer in from AMEX only to not have availability once my points get there. I would then be stuck with miles in Emirates program which I have no use for other than this award booking.

Looking to fly ATH-EWR non-stop in June 2019 and when I log into my Emirate FF account (I have a zero balance) it shows availability for the date I am wanting to book 2 J awards. Cost of 125k miles and Euro 560 (total for 2 pax) is worth it since LH and BA awards require less miles but have higher taxes and I would have to connect on the way back to NYC. Stupid DL wants 280k per person one way and UA has no availability that works.
I don't think you can hold awards, but AMEX points transfer immediately IME (even though it says it could take 48 hours ).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:02 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christianj
Sorry for the nub question but does Emirates allow you to hold award reservations while you transfer in AMEX points? I assume no but figured I would ask. Concerned that there would be availability for flights I wanted and then I transfer in from AMEX only to not have availability once my points get there. I would then be stuck with miles in Emirates program which I have no use for other than this award booking....
I had to top up my EK Skywards accounts with AMEX points in December for a J to F upgrade. As I was talking with the EK representative about the upgrade I transferred the required points and they came across immediately. Upgrade was therefore confirmed while I was still on the phone..
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:34 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Will08
Did you buy a Flex plus economy ticket so you required less miles for the upgrade? £996 is a crazy amount to spend on miles.
I did buy a flex plus economy and upgraded, I'm a Scot. I watch my pennies carefully... to upgrade!!!
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Amex Plat UK, BA, Diamond HHonors
How to spend Skysurfer miles?

Hey

Apologies if this has been asked before (I am sure it has?) but I didnt find anything that helps.

Both my kids have 14500 and 12500 EK miles expiring end of this month. I have 12400 too but ok until 2019. I might well be being dense, but I can't find anyway to do anything with these miles online?

I note there is now a 'Family Account' facility but as I understand it, this is only relevant to future flights.

Can I spend these miles before end of the month? Clearly, we have no trips with EK booked!

Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:58 pm

Some partners allow redemptions. You can check here, if you're in the UK easyJet might be an option.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...-partners.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.