Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2017 - Please Post Here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Please post your 2017 Operational Upgrade Experiences in this thread.

Around the middle of 2016, Emirates modified their Operational Upgrade Policy favouring type of ticket over status holders, giving non status passengers on Flex and Flex Plus tickets an advantage over (for example) Silver members on a Saver ticket. During the latter half of 2016, less Op Ups were reported but we would still like to hear when they happen.

Link to the 2015/2016 thread: Please Post Your Operational Upgrade Experiences - 2015/2016

Please use the following format for ease of reading and of course, discussion is still welcome.

Example:

Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: BKK-DXB

Flight number: EK385

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 040115

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles to date: 18,000

Skywards miles balance: 80,000

Number of pax on the same PNR (Including OP): 1

Number of pax upgraded: 1

Safe & Happy Travels and May The Upgrade Gods Look Upon You.

Saltire74
Print Wikipost

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2017 - Please Post Here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sydtogla

Upgrade location: Check in

Route: SYD-DXB

Flight number: EK413

Type of ticket: Flex+

Date of travel: 201117

Tier miles to date: 131,000

Skywards miles balance: 19,000

Almost a guaranteed opup on this flight at flex+.
I am hoping this is the case as I have a SYD-DXB, DXB-MAN mid Jan! (in Y flex+)
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Will08
I am hoping this is the case as I have a SYD-DXB, DXB-MAN mid Jan! (in Y flex+)
im on ek17dxb man on 12jan -let’s have a drink at the bar!
Will08 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards

Upgrade location: Lounge

Route: BNE-DXB

Flight number: EK435

Type of ticket: ECONOMY FLEX

Date of travel: 12th-dec-2017

Tier miles to date: 42500

Skywards miles balance: 20,000

first upgrade in over a year (since new upgrade procedure introduced) and couldn't have come at a better time flying to work for the xmas period. flight was overbooked by a little bit since when i picked up my boarding pass saw another 6 business upgrades and the same into first class - nice time of the year to snag an op-up thats for sure!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Jet Airways JetPrivilege Platinum
So I took a OLCI upgrade offer and the flight was over in Y and J. They upgraded J-F. MMB showed me as Business Flex. As gold, no Op-up to F (assuming because paid upgrade at OLCI)

8/8 were Op-ups in F (Few w/o status). The funny thing is there was a PLT next to me on the flight. He didn't get upgraded to F. Left me a little confused.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:20 am

New here on the forums, thought I'd dump my operational upgrades from this year.

I was upgraded twice during my Dusseldorf to Bangkok travel. Both of the times I was upgraded at the Dusseldorf to Dubai part. The first time I was notified of the good news by the friendly lady at the baggage drop off counter. The second time on my return was quite a little adventure on its own. The BKK - DXB flight was so overbooked that I was asked if I wanted to be a standby, and if I could not get onto this flight, I would have gotten a free flight valid for a whole year. Since I was not in much of a hurry I volounteerd to do so. 'Unfortunally' I was able to get on the flight, in Y where this lowly blue actually paid for but atleast got a voucher for use at DXB which was a nice touch. Then at the gate, the friendly man asked me at the gate 'how my day was.' I replied that I was a bit sad of going home. I was then handed a ticket 'which should make me feel a bit better', bumped up to J.

The year before I was also bumped up at the same trip, though only on the return journey and again DXB - DUS part.

Upgrade location: Baggage drop off counter (was already checked in)
Route: DUS - DXB - BKK , DUS - DXB leg upgraded.
Flight number: EK056
Type of ticket: Flex
Date of travel: 16-07-2017
Tier status: Blue
Tier miles to date: 9000 (time of flying)
Skywards miles balance: 9000 (time of flying)
Upgrade location: Gate in Dubai Airport.
Route: BKK - DXB - DUS , DXB - DUS leg upgraded.
Flight number: EK057
Date of travel: 28-08-2017
Tier status: Blue
Tier miles to date: 13,500 (time of flying)
Skywards miles balance: 13,500 (time of flying)
Tomorrow I will jump into an Emirates bird again, however this time from Brussel. and to my dismay I seem to be in a 777 instead of a perfectly acceptable A380 (10 rows in cattle class does NOT fit in a 777, period). I think my chances are slim, though the aircraft was actually filling rapidly the last time I COULD check. Now I cannot seem to 'change seat' and thus check how much seats are filled 'due to a technical error'. Any idea how I can check plane loads somewhere to see how filled it is? I am flying Flex Plus this time due to me being a bit late booking this holiday. I definatly am not counting on it and ofcourse not 'demanding' it, just wanna see if I might get lucky again.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Denizz
New here on the forums, thought I'd dump my operational upgrades from this year.

I was upgraded twice during my Dusseldorf to Bangkok travel. Both of the times I was upgraded at the Dusseldorf to Dubai part. The first time I was notified of the good news by the friendly lady at the baggage drop off counter. The second time on my return was quite a little adventure on its own. The BKK - DXB flight was so overbooked that I was asked if I wanted to be a standby, and if I could not get onto this flight, I would have gotten a free flight valid for a whole year. Since I was not in much of a hurry I volounteerd to do so. 'Unfortunally' I was able to get on the flight, in Y where this lowly blue actually paid for but atleast got a voucher for use at DXB which was a nice touch. Then at the gate, the friendly man asked me at the gate 'how my day was.' I replied that I was a bit sad of going home. I was then handed a ticket 'which should make me feel a bit better', bumped up to J.

The year before I was also bumped up at the same trip, though only on the return journey and again DXB - DUS part.

Tomorrow I will jump into an Emirates bird again, however this time from Brussel. and to my dismay I seem to be in a 777 instead of a perfectly acceptable A380 (10 rows in cattle class does NOT fit in a 777, period). I think my chances are slim, though the aircraft was actually filling rapidly the last time I COULD check. Now I cannot seem to 'change seat' and thus check how much seats are filled 'due to a technical error'. Any idea how I can check plane loads somewhere to see how filled it is? I am flying Flex Plus this time due to me being a bit late booking this holiday. I definatly am not counting on it and ofcourse not 'demanding' it, just wanna see if I might get lucky again.

Flight number? 184? 182?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Will08
Flight number? 184? 182?
Oops, silly me. I am in EK184 for BRU-DXB and EK384 from DXB to BKK. Atleast the latter one is an A380.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:35 am

Oops, silly me. I am in EK184 for BRU-DXB and EK384 from DXB to BKK. Atleast the latter one is an A380.

Ill check for you and put them in the flight requests post.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, EK Silver, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by viraj737
So I took a OLCI upgrade offer and the flight was over in Y and J. They upgraded J-F. MMB showed me as Business Flex. As gold, no Op-up to F (assuming because paid upgrade at OLCI)

8/8 were Op-ups in F (Few w/o status). The funny thing is there was a PLT next to me on the flight. He didn't get upgraded to F. Left me a little confused.
I assume you didn't get the upgrade from J - F considering you took the OLCI upgrade? Very disappointing if this is the case as you were a 'genuine' J pax with Flex & Gold status.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by diss50
I assume you didn't get the upgrade from J - F considering you took the OLCI upgrade? Very disappointing if this is the case as you were a 'genuine' J pax with Flex & Gold status.
i think the special upgrade offers differ from the typical reward seats where you would get an upgrade as your reward ticket ie y flex plus would be then a j flex plus so you would be quite high up in the queue.

ar for the pilot - if he’s a captain he gets F otherwise he gets j.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by m3red

i think the special upgrade offers differ from the typical reward seats where you would get an upgrade as your reward ticket ie y flex plus would be then a j flex plus so you would be quite high up in the queue.

ar for the pilot - if he’s a captain he gets F otherwise he gets j.
I think PLT meant Plat not Pilot....
thijsseh likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I think PLT meant Plat not Pilot....
well yes that’s wrong as they are top,of the list even on savers - maybe he was on the offer too?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:20 pm

Now I cannot seem to 'change seat' and thus check how much seats are filled 'due to a technical error'. Any idea how I can check plane loads somewhere to see how filled it is?
Go to the online checkin page again and you will see the option to change seats which will give you a seat view. You won't be able to see which are blocked rather then taken by passengers but it'll give you an idea.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Emirates Gold, QF Gold
Long time lurker, first time poster... Received first ever opup last night on an usual route.. Needless to say was quite surprised at the gate

Upgrade location: Gate
Route: RUH-DXB
Flight number: EK818
Type of ticket: Flex Plus
Date of travel: 21/12/17
Tier miles to date: 142,000
Skywards miles balance: 140,000
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:14 am

Got my usual upgrade on my usual route today, mobile BP updated around 90mins prior to departure:

Upgrade location: mobile BP > Gate
Route: DXB-HYD
Flight number: EK528 (first time on this flight, usually on the evening or early morning one)
Date of travel: 22/12/17
Tier miles to date: 54,400
Skywards miles balance: 34,500

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.