Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2017 - Please Post Here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Please post your 2017 Operational Upgrade Experiences in this thread.

Around the middle of 2016, Emirates modified their Operational Upgrade Policy favouring type of ticket over status holders, giving non status passengers on Flex and Flex Plus tickets an advantage over (for example) Silver members on a Saver ticket. During the latter half of 2016, less Op Ups were reported but we would still like to hear when they happen.

Link to the 2015/2016 thread: Please Post Your Operational Upgrade Experiences - 2015/2016

Please use the following format for ease of reading and of course, discussion is still welcome.

Example:

Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: BKK-DXB

Flight number: EK385

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 040115

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles to date: 18,000

Skywards miles balance: 80,000

Number of pax on the same PNR (Including OP): 1

Number of pax upgraded: 1

Safe & Happy Travels and May The Upgrade Gods Look Upon You.

Saltire74
Print Wikipost

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2017 - Please Post Here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards
MEL AKL upgrade to business both directions

Recently travelled to and from MEL AKL and received an upgrade from economy to business in both directions on the Emirates A380 - absolutely thrilled. My partner was also upgraded - we had booked separately - but went to the check in desk together. The upgrade on the way over was at the check in desk whereas the upgrade on the return was at the gate. Have a business class leg booked later this year on return from Europe, don't know if that would have any bearing. Was also a significant birthday for me but again doubt that had a bearing as didn't say anything about it. I had received an offer email both directions to upgrade for about $350 but didn't bother as partner hadn't received the offer. Have been brand loyal to Emirates over many years and had purchased upgrades before using miles. Partner is more recent convert, especially now!

Upgrade location: Check-in
Route: MEL-AKL
Flight number: EK406
Type of ticket: Economy saver
Date of travel: 3 April 2017
Tier status: Blue
Tier miles to date: 38
Skywards miles balance: 20K
Number of pax upgraded: 2

Route: AKL-MEL
Flight number: EK407
Date of travel: 10 April 2017

Last edited by Christine from Melbourne; Apr 13, 2017 at 5:01 pm
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:24 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Christine from Melbourne
Recently travelled to and from MEL AKL and received an upgrade from economy to business in both directions on the Emirates A380 - absolutely thrilled. My partner was also upgraded - we had booked separately - but went to the check in desk together. The upgrade on the way over was at the check in desk whereas the upgrade on the return was at the gate. Have a business class leg booked later this year on return from Europe, don't know if that would have any bearing. Was also a significant birthday for me but again doubt that had a bearing as didn't say anything about it. I had received an offer email both directions to upgrade for about $350 but didn't bother as partner hadn't received the offer. Have been brand loyal to Emirates over many years and had purchased upgrades before using miles. Partner is more recent convert, especially now!

Hi Christine from Melbourne

Welcome to Flyertalk and the Emirates forum and what a nice reason for you to bring you hear. Our upgrade thread is a little more sparse this year since EK changed their OpUp policy and not too many reports of an upgrade from saver fares. Well done.

Again, welcome to the forum. We are a fairly friendly bunch here and it would be good to hear of your experience and knowledge of travelling on EK and of course, we have a wealth of information in the dashboard and from fellow contributors should you find yourself asking any questions about Emirates or Skywards so please make yourself at home and enjoy the ride.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:29 am

Early check in...

Thank you for the kind welcome, Saltire. I used to lurk here a while back but thought I would share my experiences this time around. I also thought it worth mentioning that with both of the flights we were upgraded for we checked in very early - possibly among the first for the flight. I don't know if this makes a difference by leaving you higher up on the manifest and therefore more likely to be picked for opup at the gate. Regardless, it was a wonderful experience. Looking forward even more to our business return leg from Europe to Melbourne later this year.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Thank you for the kind welcome, Saltire. I used to lurk here a while back but thought I would share my experiences this time around. I also thought it worth mentioning that with both of the flights we were upgraded for we checked in very early - possibly among the first for the flight. I don't know if this makes a difference by leaving you higher up on the manifest and therefore more likely to be picked for opup at the gate. Regardless, it was a wonderful experience. Looking forward even more to our business return leg from Europe to Melbourne later this year.
Check-in opens 48hrs before departure with connecting pax often having checked in even earlier (on a MEL-AKL flight a pax connecting from LAX could be checked in 3-4 days before). The time you arrive at the airport doesn't typically have much bearing on this. If you look at the sequence number in your boarding pass you'll see how far up the list you were in terms of check-in.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:17 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK

All I can say is that to get an op-up as a Blue member from a saver ticket is, well, surprising if not unique. It does not follow either the 'old' (status based) or the 'new' (fare based) rule. But hey, congrats on getting it!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:41 am

Thanks Skywardhunter for that info - and you are correct - seq 563 on way over and seq 280 on way back - so not about status, fare type or manifest! So there goes that theory

Definitely a surprise, Thijsseh - especially when it happened twice!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: EK Plat
An unexpected upgrade yesterday given the new rules although with 16 children in J it was definitely not the most peaceful of flights. Expert Flyer showed Y0 J3 just before check in closed.

Route: DXB-LHR
Type of ticket: Saver (T)
Tier status: Platinum
Tier miles to date: 0 (just started new tier year)
Skywards miles balance: 190k
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:01 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Lkaroo
An unexpected upgrade yesterday given the new rules although with 16 children in J it was definitely not the most peaceful of flights. Expert Flyer showed Y0 J3 just before check in closed.

Route: DXB-LHR
Type of ticket: Saver (T)
Tier status: Platinum
Tier miles to date: 0 (just started new tier year)
Skywards miles balance: 190k
That indeed is very unexpected under the 'new' rules.
Maybe they have gone back to the old (status based) rules? There has been some rumours / speculation on that.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:05 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by thijsseh
That indeed is very unexpected under the 'new' rules.
Maybe they have gone back to the old (status based) rules? There has been some rumours / speculation on that.
Two reports in the past week or so of saver tickets getting OpUps Y-J. Fingers crossed

S
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Two reports in the past week or so of saver tickets getting OpUps Y-J. Fingers crossed

S
I'm flying HYD-DXB Tuesday morning, a route where historically I'd be op-upped >50% of the time. I'm on a Saver Award in Y and the flight shows Y0 J7, so let's see what happens. I'm cautiously optimistic
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:38 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I'm flying HYD-DXB Tuesday morning, a route where historically I'd be op-upped >50% of the time. I'm on a Saver Award in Y and the flight shows Y0 J7, so let's see what happens. I'm cautiously optimistic
Fingers crossed for you skywardhunter. Let's hope we start seeing a trend.

S
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:24 am

I thought that even prior to the rule change it wasn't possible to get op ups on award/upgrade tickets?

As a further data point, I got upgraded from J-F from Tokyo to Dubai earlier last week. Granted, it was a J flex ticket but I was told at check in that I was first on the upgrade list. From experience, there are usually quite a few people on J flex plus tickets from Tokyo so again, I was a little surprised. Flight was showing as J0 Y0.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
I thought that even prior to the rule change it wasn't possible to get op ups on award/upgrade tickets?

As a further data point, I got upgraded from J-F from Tokyo to Dubai earlier last week. Granted, it was a J flex ticket but I was told at check in that I was first on the upgrade list. From experience, there are usually quite a few people on J flex plus tickets from Tokyo so again, I was a little surprised. Flight was showing as J0 Y0.
I've seen reports before of people who had upgraded being further upgraded. Not sure about award tickets, but I'd be pretty far down the list I reckon.

Y0J0 means no seats for sale, so good chance of upgrades.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:17 am

I've seen reports before of people who had upgraded being further upgraded. Not sure about award tickets, but I'd be pretty far down the list I reckon.

Y0J0 means no seats for sale, so good chance of upgrades.
We've been upgraded on award tickets (before the rule change)
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:50 am

Just been upgraded at check-in from Y-J from CAI-DXB on a saver (Q) ticket. EF still showing seats available all the way to U1. Ghostwrita reported on another thread that he has received some Y-J upgrades on saver tickets very recently too. Could the rules have finally changed back..?

Seat map looked completely empty in Y earlier this morning and is now showing as completely full which reinforces the fact that it is a very unreliable way of knowing how busy a flight really is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.