New 777 Business Class seat

Old Jan 1, 17, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
New 777 Business Class seat

Was pleasantly surprised when I boarded my DXB-BAH flight tonight to see the brand new seats. Below are a few pictures, sorry they were rushed on my phone before the cabin filled up. My initial feeling is the seat felt very comfortable, and more private than the "old" seat. One of the things I really liked is that the arm rest can be lowered independent of the seat position so you can get up with the tray table out (although this only works if you have an aisle seat). The seat does go fully flat, but felt a little more confining around my shoulders than the current seat- but really just put the seat flat to see what it felt like didn't try to actually fall asleep.

All the pictures I took (again not great quality): https://kendradeppe.smugmug.com/Travel/New-777-seats/

Last edited by kmd0506; Jan 1, 17 at 3:15 pm Reason: Adding pictures (hopefully)
Old Jan 1, 17, 3:32 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF SG, HH Gold, KLM FB
Thanks for sharing, hoping to fly on this soon!

How did you find he quilted leather material on the seat? More or less comfortable than current 777 J?
Old Jan 1, 17, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
Thanks for sharing, hoping to fly on this soon!

How did you find he quilted leather material on the seat? More or less comfortable than current 777 J?
Overall I thought the seat was more comfortable than the current one I didn't notice the quilting material at all as texture, but it's hard to tell on a 50 min flight when you're trying to play with all the new buttons and features.
Old Jan 1, 17, 4:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Nice! I think it does definitely look like quite an improvement, the 7-abreast issue aside.

I suppose they're using these new planes for training and line-checks on the shorter routes given it was spotted out of JED (I think it was?) the other day.
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, SPG Platinum
I'm sitting in A6-EPX, which has the new seats... but *UNFORTUNATELY* I cannot tell you if they are confortable because I got bumped in first...
However they look nicer, even if, at first look, narrower than the previous ones
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by lamalta View Post
I'm sitting in A6-EPX, which has the new seats... but *UNFORTUNATELY* I cannot tell you if they are confortable because I got bumped in first...
However they look nicer, even if, at first look, narrower than the previous ones
tough luck
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
The new seats do look good, and a positive development comfort-wise, based on these photos (thanks OP ^) and the selection published by various sources when first announced.

But I'm personally in no rush to try them any time soon. As a mostly solo flyer, I would invariably choose a carrier/aircraft offering a solo seat within their J class config (eg Cathay, to name but one) with direct aisle access. EK's A380 of course resolves this issue - and obviously the 777 too if travelling F.

It was a disappointment - and something of a surprise too - that EK did not use the 777 revamp to get rid of the enforced step-over layout in the J cabin.
Old Jan 1, 17, 7:17 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Thanks for posting the pics. The seats do look nice but don't think I'll be getting a shot of them anytime soon.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jan 2, 17, 11:28 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Please tell me the drinks cabinet is chilled...
Old Jan 3, 17, 1:46 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
"The drinks cabinet is chilled". There, I told you .

However, in reality, until we get reports to the contrary, I don't think it will be. Nothing on any of the online reports that the mini-bars are chilled. I would imagine that doing so would add a fair bit of weight to the units.

S
Old Jan 3, 17, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
The water I took out of the cabinet was not chilled (and I don't think it is supposed to be).
Old Jan 3, 17, 6:29 am

The original EK anouncement never mentioned a chilled mini bar,and I would expect it to if it was the case.

https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...at-itb-berlin#

This report on ausbt.com does however state it's chilled.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-re...ess-class-seat
Old Jan 3, 17, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
The original EK anouncement never mentioned a chilled mini bar,and I would expect it to if it was the case.

https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...at-itb-berlin#

This report on ausbt.com does however state it's chilled.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-re...ess-class-seat
Why would it be chilled? Even in F it isn't. Extra weight, maintenance and risk of refrigerant leaking when some tosser gets drunk, drops his phone in the mechanics and tries to pry it out.
Old Jan 3, 17, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Why would it be chilled? Even in F it isn't. Extra weight, maintenance and risk of refrigerant leaking when some tosser gets drunk, drops his phone in the mechanics and tries to pry it out.
Because people prefer their drinks cold.

You could say the same for lots of seat features, but airlines often feel the need to go one better than before, and this could easily have been one of those times. It wouldn't do anything for me but I would understand it.
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
Because people prefer their drinks cold.

You could say the same for lots of seat features, but airlines often feel the need to go one better than before, and this could easily have been one of those times. It wouldn't do anything for me but I would understand it.
Yeah obviously there's an argument from a consumer perspective but I don't think it's feasible. Electric seat controls are a standard requirement to achieve the flat bed which J is supposed to offer, while other features (lights, etc) aren't as complex.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: