Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
ALMOST Gold - Will EK move me up a tier?

I'm looking to fly EK and will have 49,975 tier miles after my trip. Will EK bump me to gold anyway for being so close? Does EK do this if very close?

in short I flew EK in March 2017, May 2017, November 2017, and the above trip is December 2017. I want to make Gold before I fly them again later in 2018.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by aragno
I'm looking to fly EK and will have 49,975 tier miles after my trip. Will EK bump me to gold anyway for being so close? Does EK do this if very close?

in short I flew EK in March 2017, May 2017, November 2017, and the above trip is December 2017. I want to make Gold before I fly them again later in 2018.
Got any flights in Jan or Feb? EK doesn't go by calendar year, it's a rolling period. They will renew if you're just a little short, I'm not sure about granting, you can ask however (after your trip), submitting a contact request on their website is probably the best way to do so in this case.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Does the F lounge give you better views of everything? I don't usually think of DXB as a place to see unusual aircraft, simply because it's a sea of A380s and 777s... Cool, but I probably wouldn't upgrade for that. Would likely pay in USD.

Wines could be enticing. When I think of the great F lounges of the world, I compare them by their selection of single malts, but a prolonged wine tasting wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either.

Since DXB is a connecting point for me, I'm rarely *hungry* when I'm there. EK feeds me well in the air! So food is less important, unless they do something really unique there that I definitely need to try.
No good views of planes from any of the DXB lounges apart from FCL C / combined J/F in C but that's definitely a step down from the A/B lounges and a long walk.

EK's wine offering is unsurpassed (apart from maybe the Champagne) but the whisky is generally the usual stuff so if you're after single malts, it's LH FCT FRA! If food isn't your thing - and the food in the lounge is miles better than what's on board - then it's really just 15 minute spa and free shoe shine that is the differentiating factor.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Got any flights in Jan or Feb? EK doesn't go by calendar year, it's a rolling period. They will renew if you're just a little short, I'm not sure about granting, you can ask however (after your trip), submitting a contact request on their website is probably the best way to do so in this case.
12 months rolling?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by aragno
12 months rolling?
At any point in time if your last 12 months of earning exceed the threshold for a tier you are immediately upgraded and your expiry is 12 months into the future. So if your first earning was in March you have until Feb to maximise all those miles to achieve a higher tier.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:43 am

What are the best 2 seats in j on the 2 class A380?

got to take one as the wife wont get the 4am flight that has F 😂
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:01 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by m3red
What are the best 2 seats in j on the 2 class A380?

got to take one as the wife won’t get the 4am flight that has F ��
I always try to get the most forward E/F pair available .This is on a 3 class 380, I am simply not 100% sure if the 2 class also has the E/F pairs away from the aisle so just check for that (or otherwise I'm sure someone else will put me right).
Edit: yes, on the 2 class its also E/F. The most forward row would be 6 E/F. Not sure if there is any 'interference' (noise) from the Y cabin just in front. Maybe 8 E/F to be sure?

Last edited by thijsseh; Nov 29, 2017 at 7:10 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
If I transfer my Amex points to Emirate Skywards, how long the points will expire? The same 3 years? Thank you!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:45 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by tomwhom
If I transfer my Amex points to Emirate Skywards, how long the points will expire? The same 3 years? Thank you!
Hi tomwhom

​​​​​​​
Once your Amex points become Skywards miles then they will come under the same conditions as Skywards miles earned through Skywards membership as far as I am aware thus having the three year expiry. That is the way Skywards miles are set up and would bring about too many complications for the system having miles in the same account that come from a mix of earning avenues and having to decipher which miles should have an expiry date and which shouldnt.

Personally, Im not a great fan of the EK system but that is what has been signed up to. Again, personally, I think it would be better if the system was like the BA Avios system in that as long as there is activity, the miles (Avios in this case) dont expire, but its EKs train set and they make the rules..

​​​​​​​S
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:13 am

Hi,

So I'm brand spanking new here, wondering if anyone has some tips to try get a free emergency exit seat?

They really are pricey and I was born with tall genes...

Thanks in advance!

J
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by TheJman05
Hi,

So I'm brand spanking new here, wondering if anyone has some tips to try get a free emergency exit seat?

Thanks in advance!

J
Arrive early at airport and ask at check-in
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Arrive early at airport and ask at check-in
Thanks, but will they charge at check-in?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:44 am

​​​​​​They didn't used to, not sure if is changed. All seats are free at online check in, but emergency rows can't be self-assigned
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:46 am

okay cool - will give it a bash, thanks so much!
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:52 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

J
Hi TheJman05 and welcome on board. The only way to guarantee an exit row seat with EK nowadays is to pay up front. You can take the gamble and if at physical check in early enough you may be lucky to snag one, but bear in mind that it could be a middle seat which I personally would not select if the only exit seat available.

Im 6ft 3in and have very little economy experience on EK but when I was on the A380 in a standard seat (aisle) I didnt find the leg room too constraining so with that its either pony up the readies or take a gamble at check in. You shouldnt have to pay to get an exit seat at check, only if you want to guarantee one prior to check in.

But once again, welcome to the EK forum. Hopefully youll stick around and join in further.

Safe & Happy Travels

S

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.