Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
For a night flight, arguably, yes. It all depends on your budget. The J cabin on the A380 is huge and at night might feel less private (though the seats themselves are private) than the F cabin. Also if you're too far near the back and trying to sleep the light and noise from the bar might disturb you, if it's busy
The budget isn't a concern, it is more the value to pound ratio. I'm going to presume it's a shot in the dark when it comes to seat selection unless I'm lucky and get in early so I think I'll stump up the extra for F, especially if I get the chance of shut eye (even if only for a couple of hours!).

Thank you
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SquidsIn
Hi All,

I usually fly BA (or OW partner airlines) and I've an upcoming trip to DXB, knowing that EK are amongst the best for premium cabins, is F worth it for LHR-DXB or would I better off in J for the 7 hour flight, I'm looking at a night flight.

Thanks
If money is not a consideration, then I'd do F for the overnight flight. You can eat in the lounge, and then try to get straight to sleep (after telling the FAs you don't want to be disturbed).

In J, the lights will be on for at least 2 hours after take-off, and the FAs will be wandering up and down with the meal service.

That's assuming, of course, you want to sleep. If not, go J and hit the bar
SquidsIn likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Executive club Gold ,Skywards
I'm on a 03:30 flight out of DXB to BKK in J . Will breakfast be served straight away or will the lights be dimmed so we can sleep then breakfast served later ?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If money is not a consideration, then I'd do F for the overnight flight. You can eat in the lounge, and then try to get straight to sleep (after telling the FAs you don't want to be disturbed).

In J, the lights will be on for at least 2 hours after take-off, and the FAs will be wandering up and down with the meal service.

That's assuming, of course, you want to sleep. If not, go J and hit the bar
I do hope to get some sleep on the flight and if J has flights on 2 hours after take off, I won't get a wink in so F is most certainly preferred in this instance.

A final question, if I end up flying EK more often as planned by work changes, is it worth going for Plat as a J or F flyer if I'd have to bring forward a LHR-MEL trip in order to hit qualification within time otherwise I'll hit Gold only which I don't mind but I'm unsure of whether it is worth changing plans by a couple of days for qualification?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I do hope to get some sleep on the flight and if J has flights on 2 hours after take off, I won't get a wink in so F is most certainly preferred in this instance.

A final question, if I end up flying EK more often as planned by work changes, is it worth going for Plat as a J or F flyer if I'd have to bring forward a LHR-MEL trip in order to hit qualification within time otherwise I'll hit Gold only which I don't mind but I'm unsure of whether it is worth changing plans by a couple of days for qualification?
The only real benefit Plat gets you over Gold is access to the F lounge when you're not travelling in F. If it's trivial for you to change, I'd say go for it, but don't go out of your way.

Of course if you have a spouse or relatives/friends who travel EK often Plat also allows you to gift someone Gold.
SquidsIn likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
The only real benefit Plat gets you over Gold is access to the F lounge when you're not travelling in F. If it's trivial for you to change, I'd say go for it, but don't go out of your way.

Of course if you have a spouse or relatives/friends who travel EK often Plat also allows you to gift someone Gold.
That's not a bad benefit of gifting Gold to one's partner, it isn't that difficult to change the dates as nothing is ever set in stone in this business so I think I'll do it (I'm also not paying for the ticket so that's a bonus!).

Thanks again
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:44 am

That's not a bad benefit of gifting Gold to one's partner, it isn't that difficult to change the dates as nothing is ever set in stone in this business so I think I'll do it (I'm also not paying for the ticket so that's a bonus!).

Thanks again
^ youre also at the top of the list for free upgrades but don't hold your breath for one. And of course no use if anyway in F
SquidsIn likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:47 am

Hi, Shortly I will be flying out of DXB on an MH issued ticket (EK operated flight to KUL leaving at 3 am). I am flying J. Can I check-in at DXB at EK check-in desks around say 8 or 9 pm? In otherwords, how early one can check-in on EK operated code share flights? Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by kshastry
Hi, Shortly I will be flying out of DXB on an MH issued ticket (EK operated flight to KUL leaving at 3 am). I am flying J. Can I check-in at DXB at EK check-in desks around say 8 or 9 pm? In otherwords, how early one can check-in on EK operated code share flights? Thanks.
You'll have an EK boarding pass for J, so you can check in at the dedicated J/F lounge in T3. No problem checking in at 8 or 9pm.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You'll have an EK boarding pass for J, so you can check in at the dedicated J/F lounge in T3. No problem checking in at 8 or 9pm.
Thanks for the answer. Can emirates do a thru check-in of baggage for a flight of UL (on a separate ticket) onwards from KUL?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:27 pm

Does anyone have a list of the A380s that have been retrofitted with the new onboard lounge? Is there a stickied thread?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Does anyone have a list of the A380s that have been retrofitted with the new onboard lounge? Is there a stickied thread?
Not aware of a list, however you can find a (I think relatively complete) list of deliveries in this thread, from this page backwards:

EK Air Frame Delivery Info - 2017

EUZ, EUY have been delivered since august, EUT and EUW should have been, I don't know their status.

EK has slowed delivery to approx 1 a month right now so not a lot of new A380s coming out. Expect #100 to be unveiled/delivered around the time of the Dubai Air Show (my guess, not confirmed, but the timing works out, currently 98 in the fleet).

I don't know from which delivery onwards the new lounge is installed, but it has been delivered somewhere because there's been a reference to it by someone here who's been on it
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Is there any way of getting around 400 Skywards miles before the end of the year without flying? I have a residual balance of around 5600 and was going to transfer out to Heathrow rewards, but the minimum transfer is 6000 so I'm a bit snookered given the minimum purchase is 2000. I also note it's ludicrously expensive to transfer them somewhere else (£96 for 5000 out).

Any ideas of how to extract the balance welcome.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Is there any way of getting around 400 Skywards miles before the end of the year without flying? I have a residual balance of around 5600 and was going to transfer out to Heathrow rewards, but the minimum transfer is 6000 so I'm a bit snookered given the minimum purchase is 2000. I also note it's ludicrously expensive to transfer them somewhere else (£96 for 5000 out).

Any ideas of how to extract the balance welcome.
Yes, hotel stays, car rentals, etc. (Use rocket miles to book virtually any hotel and earn miles), or if you have SPG point transfer those into Skywards (can transfer just 1000) and then onwards to Heathrow Rewards
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: Emirates
We're (2 adults) booked BHX-DXB-KUL-LGK business class all legs

Return is standard class.

Tickets were booked as business saver outbound, economy saver return.

I'm considering upgrading to business class for our return joinery.

Am I likely to incur cancellation fees if I upgrade to business class for the return journey?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.