Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
Originally Posted by nedelk
Has anyone received their Skywards Silver or Gold membership pack within the last 3 months?
Received an email 5 months ago saying they would be mailing it out, no dice. One of the agents mentioned about delays sending out new cards but still nothing.
Might want to check that email again. The email notifying me that I had qualified for Gold, had a "Click here to confirm card delivery" button in it. I guess you have to confirm and then they will send it out.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:28 am

A supplier recently purchased me a ticket for a trade show, they booked me an economy saver and I rang customer care to get it added to my skywards account and check about upgrades.

They added it to my account but said they cant do anything regarding upgrades until my return flight from HKG.

Is that the case?

I'm currently skywards Silver
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:12 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Mr. Kyka
A supplier recently purchased me a ticket for a trade show, they booked me an economy saver and I rang customer care to get it added to my skywards account and check about upgrades.

They added it to my account but said they cant do anything regarding upgrades until my return flight from HKG.

Is that the case?

I would say that your supplier has probably purchased the ticket via either a physical TA or OTA which will 'own' the ticket until the first leg is done therefore any changes need to be done via the vendor and EK will not touch the ticket for any change requests by the pax. This is usually standard practice for EK & many other airlines.

You will have to go to your supplier and ask how the ticket was purchased then get in touch with them to attempt any changes/upgrades.

S
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Mr. Kyka

Is that the case?

IIRC, if booked through a travel agent then the travel agent is usually the only person who can do the upgrade before departure. Also, economy saver tickets cannot be upgraded with miles until online check-in opens.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:27 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by kq747
IIRC, if booked through a travel agent then the travel agent is usually the only person who can do the upgrade before departure. Also, economy saver tickets cannot be upgraded with miles until online check-in opens.

Unless you want to Up Fare in my experience.

S
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:21 am

Cheers for the response!

I'll try get in touch with the TA directly.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: Skywards
Hi,

I found a fare where the flight from Australia to Europe with actual stopover (booked as multiple destinations) in Dubai is cheaper than the ticket directly from Australia to Europe.

So I book two tickets.
1) Australia to Dubai
2) Dubai to Australia

As opposed to one ticket:
1) Australia to Europe

The flights are exactly the same just different way of booking.

The stop over is only 1:40min in Dubai. So if I miss that second flight would Emirates just put me on the next flight or will it count as missed flight and my own fault?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:28 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coffee drinker
Hi,

I found a fare where the flight from Australia to Europe with actual stopover (booked as multiple destinations) in Dubai is cheaper than the ticket directly from Australia to Europe.

So I book two tickets.
1) Australia to Dubai
2) Dubai to Australia

1) Australia to Europe

The stop over is only 1:40min in Dubai. So if I miss that second flight would Emirates just put me on the next flight or will it count as missed flight and my own fault?
There is always a risk with booking separate tickets on an itinerary that the airline would offer no protection on the second ticket if your first flight was delayed and you miss the departure of the second ticket. We have seen stories of people having to pay for a new ticket when missing their onward flight when all on one ticket due to an inbound being late.

If if you are looking at booking this type of itinerary, it may be better with a longer turnaround. Others may advise differently but I suppose it's really up to you how much risk you want to take and if you are in the position to stump up for a new ticket at walk up prices if it came down to it.

S
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Hi,

So I book two tickets.
1) Australia to Dubai
2) Dubai to Australia

1) Australia to Europe

Are you absolutely sure it's cheaper? That seems odd as DXB originating or terminating tickets tend to be significantly higher than those with a connection. If you share the route and dates we could check.

Risky as Saltire mentions, if you do it have at least 4-6hrs padding if not more. If you don't need a visa for the UAE book it so you land in the morning and depart evening and spend the day in the city...
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: Skywards
There is always a risk with booking separate tickets on an itinerary that the airline would offer no protection on the second ticket if your first flight was delayed and you miss the departure of the second ticket. We have seen stories of people having to pay for a new ticket when missing their onward flight when all on one ticket due to an inbound being late.

If if you are looking at booking this type of itinerary, it may be better with a longer turnaround. Others may advise differently but I suppose it's really up to you how much risk you want to take and if you are in the position to stump up for a new ticket at walk up prices if it came down to it.

S
Are you absolutely sure it's cheaper? That seems odd as DXB originating or terminating tickets tend to be significantly higher than those with a connection. If you share the route and dates we could check.

Risky as Saltire mentions, if you do it have at least 4-6hrs padding if not more. If you don't need a visa for the UAE book it so you land in the morning and depart evening and spend the day in the city...
Thanks for the answers, very helpful. I thought its risky. Guess I will stay clear of this and book a normal type of itinerary.

This was through Expedia and not directly through Emirates. So in case of problem I would have to deal with Expedia and not emirates, so double risky.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:40 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers, very helpful. I thought its risky. Guess I will stay clear of this and book a normal type of itinerary.

This was through Expedia and not directly through Emirates. So in case of problem I would have to deal with Expedia and not emirates, so double risky.
That could have been a right barrel of laughs if anything were to go wrong. A bullet well dodged methinks.

S
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Immigation Queues in DXB T3?

I've tried searching, without much success, but I'd like to know something about how long the immigration queues can be at DXB T3. These, as many people will know, can be fearsome at T1, but my only experience at T3 was that such things didn't seem to exist.

My wife & I expect to be arriving (ex J-class) in DXB shortly before Christmas (to see our daughter). Can anyone please tell me if immigration queues are an issue? I might book Marhaba if they are, as we are no longer young, and can't really cope with long queues.

TIA for your help.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by satprof
I've tried searching, without much success, but I'd like to know something about how long the immigration queues can be at DXB T3. These, as many people will know, can be fearsome at T1, but my only experience at T3 was that such things didn't seem to exist.

My wife & I expect to be arriving (ex J-class) in DXB shortly before Christmas (to see our daughter). Can anyone please tell me if immigration queues are an issue? I might book Marhaba if they are, as we are no longer young, and can't really cope with long queues.

TIA for your help.
On average I'd say 20 mins. If you're in J probably faster. Depends on your entry requirements. As I need a visa I get the worst queues, but still find it ok, not extraordinary, not Terrible. Certainly acceptable
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
On average I'd say 20 mins. If you're in J probably faster. Depends on your entry requirements. As I need a visa I get the worst queues, but still find it ok, not extraordinary, not Terrible. Certainly acceptable
You'd think that...

When we arrived a couple of weeks ago, we went to the fast track and there were probably about 6 people in front of us. The queue next to fast track was for the Middle East residents (GCM??). The guy controlling the queue just ignored the fast track passengers and processed the other queue. There was much irritation in fast track, and I think somebody even tutted

It took about 15 minutes to eventually get processed.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You'd think that...

When we arrived a couple of weeks ago, we went to the fast track and there were probably about 6 people in front of us. The queue next to fast track was for the Middle East residents (GCM??). The guy controlling the queue just ignored the fast track passengers and processed the other queue. There was much irritation in fast track, and I think somebody even tutted

It took about 15 minutes to eventually get processed.
Right, so faster than 20 minutes....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.