Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:19 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by jubbing
How early to First Class upgrades open up for Emirates? I saw that there's only 2 A380 F seats booked, but there's no J to F upgrades available yet.
No way of predicting this in my experience. I have once upgraded to F 3 months out. On EF I have seen award availability open up as late as 4 days out. Never less than that, but this was not an extensive, scientific, statistically valid investigation.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
How early to First Class upgrades open up for Emirates? I saw that there's only 2 A380 F seats booked, but there's no J to F upgrades available yet.
How do you know 2 seats booked? You mean 2 seats have been selected, by no means does this indicate actual bookings, there could be 8 F seats sold with 6 not having selected seats.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
How do you know 2 seats booked? You mean 2 seats have been selected, by no means does this indicate actual bookings, there could be 8 F seats sold with 6 not having selected seats.
Called and asked + expert flyer?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
Originally Posted by dagohh
In a few weeks I'll have my first flights with Emirates (all in Business Class):
FRA-DXB (EK48)
DXB-BKK-SYD (EK418)
SYD-DXB (EK415)
DXB-FRA (EK47)
Holiday is over (boo) and maybe it helps others if I update my questions with my experienced reality.
Those were great flights, in Sydney I felt no jet lag at all, after the return I was a little bit tired but I take the blame for that by not using the 14 hour flight to sleep a bit more. And maybe the very generous serving of Hennessy X.O on the last flight.
The EK47 was the lightest loaded flight (at least in business class) I have ever been on, only 17 passengers (22,4%).

Amenity Kits - am I correct to expect to get a kit on EK48 (overnight), EK418 BKK-SYD (overnight) and EK415 (ULH) but not on the ~6h day sectors?
I got a total of four amenity kits, on EK48, both legs of EK418 and EK415

Preview of the dining menu - how far ahead are they available? The app claims 30 days before the flight and I can get one for EK48 but not for EK418 (and the other two are further out). The website says "We haven’t confirmed the menu for your departure date yet. But you can see the menu closest to the date you're travelling." for all flights. The Wine list seems to work but confused me. A few days ago, it showed three whites, two reds and port but no champagne for business class on EK48, yesterday it had only two first class champagnes (IIRC) and today it seems normal.
At some point in the first week of September, there were no more changes to the online menus on the outbound and they were the ones I also had at the flights. The return on Sunday (October 1) had different menus than the ones that were online a day before.

Stops in DXB and BKK - the connectios are rather short (at least compared to connections where I had lounge access ). Is there a new security screening in both airports (I think I already read about the DXB one)? Where does it happen (LHR T5 style or at the gate)? Are the amenity kit contents OK to take through transit security?
The EK48-EK418 connection was long enough for a breakfast in the lounge, although EK48 arrived somewhere at terminal C and EK418 left from terminal A. The stop at BKK was a bit rushed ("be back at the gate in 30 minutes"), so no chance to go to the lounge there. On the return, arrival and departure in DXB were at terminal B, so it was just a half terminal length walk. I got to sit down for about 5 minutes before boarding started.
There was security screening at all stops/connections and the amenity kits I was carrying were no problem at all.
FRA had screening at the gate, DXB, BKK and SYD was central.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:29 am

Called and asked + expert flyer?
Yes but that only shows seats selected, not sold.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:05 pm

I am thinking of flying business class from Manchester to Singapore next year (to celebrate a significant birthday). If I book a business saver ticket to Singapore the refund fee is £400 and if I book a business flex ticket back to Manchester the refund fee is £300. Am I correct in thinking that if I were to cancel the entire ticket, I would be charged £400 (or would it be £700?).

Many thanks for your help.

(I need to decide between flying Emirates or Singapore Airlines).

Juliet
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Juliet68
I am thinking of flying business class from Manchester to Singapore next year (to celebrate a significant birthday). If I book a business saver ticket to Singapore the refund fee is £400 and if I book a business flex ticket back to Manchester the refund fee is £300. Am I correct in thinking that if I were to cancel the entire ticket, I would be charged £400 (or would it be £700?).

Many thanks for your help.

(I need to decide between flying Emirates or Singapore Airlines).

Juliet
Yes 400 pounds, the higher of the two basically.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:34 pm

Thank you
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:04 am

Where to enquire about upgrade purchases at DXB

Good morning all,

Despite living in Dubai, I very rarely fly ex-DXB with EK so I am not very familiar with Terminal 3 departures.

I am flying DXB-NCL with my two year old son in a few days' time in Y. Assuming I do not receive a compelling offer to upgrade to J at OLCI, where is the most suitable location to enquire about an upgrade purchase at the airport? At the bag drop desk, or at a separate ticketing desk?

Assuming there is availability (it is a small J cabin to NCL), what sort of price do you think might be quoted, very approximately?

Thanks in advance,
jeh86
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by jeh86
Good morning all,

Despite living in Dubai, I very rarely fly ex-DXB with EK so I am not very familiar with Terminal 3 departures.

I am flying DXB-NCL with my two year old son in a few days' time in Y. Assuming I do not receive a compelling offer to upgrade to J at OLCI, where is the most suitable location to enquire about an upgrade purchase at the airport? At the bag drop desk, or at a separate ticketing desk?

Assuming there is availability (it is a small J cabin to NCL), what sort of price do you think might be quoted, very approximately?

Thanks in advance,
jeh86
The check-in desk. Before going to the airport look on the website at the cost of a J ticket, deduct what you paid for your Y ticket, that's what you'll be quoted (i.e. the fare difference). EK don't offer reduced cost upgrades at the check-in counter by default, only occasionally and at certain stations
jeh86 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:31 am

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on what others would do.

Have a ticket DUB - HKG Return in Y. Bought by a supplier through a TA so I've no options to change/upgrade it.

I've already asked the supplier about paying the difference to upgrade to business and it wasn't an option.

The outbound leg is looking full & I have to fly as I must be there for a certain day.

The return leg is full (All Class Code = 0 on expert flyer) and I'm flexible about when I come home.

Would leaving check-in to the last minute meaning the chances of being off loaded are high?

Or would ringing emirates and say you were open to being off loaded be better?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Kyka
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on what others would do.

Have a ticket DUB - HKG Return in Y. Bought by a supplier through a TA so I've no options to change/upgrade it.

I've already asked the supplier about paying the difference to upgrade to business and it wasn't an option.

The outbound leg is looking full & I have to fly as I must be there for a certain day.

The return leg is full (All Class Code = 0 on expert flyer) and I'm flexible about when I come home.

Would leaving check-in to the last minute meaning the chances of being off loaded are high?

Or would ringing emirates and say you were open to being off loaded be better?
Send a DM on Twitter to @EmiratesSupport that you'd like a note added to your booking that you are willing to accept the denied boarding compensation on your return flight - then the station can possibly already see this. I've had such a note added to my booking before, though ultimately flight wasn't that full. IDB isn't that frequent with EK as their revenue management is excellent, hence why it is already showing all 0s on EF. Once you arrive at the airport you can again indicate that you are willing to travel at a later date for the standard IDB compensation of a free return flight and see if it works, they likely won't off-load until near the T-60 mark when all pax are accounted for at the airport.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:04 am

Thanks Skywardhunter!

You're always very helpful!
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:49 am

Hi All,

I usually fly BA (or OW partner airlines) and I've an upcoming trip to DXB, knowing that EK are amongst the best for premium cabins, is F worth it for LHR-DXB or would I better off in J for the 7 hour flight, I'm looking at a night flight.

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by SquidsIn
Hi All,

I usually fly BA (or OW partner airlines) and I've an upcoming trip to DXB, knowing that EK are amongst the best for premium cabins, is F worth it for LHR-DXB or would I better off in J for the 7 hour flight, I'm looking at a night flight.

Thanks
For a night flight, arguably, yes. It all depends on your budget. The J cabin on the A380 is huge and at night might feel less private (though the seats themselves are private) than the F cabin. Also if you're too far near the back and trying to sleep the light and noise from the bar might disturb you, if it's busy
SquidsIn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.