Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade another person with miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Upgrade another person with miles

Hey guys,
as my father is planning a trip with EK a question concerning upgrading a ticket with miles came up and I couldn't find any answer yet.

If my father (or anyone else) has a booking with EK, is it possible that I upgrade him with my skywards miles?

E.g. for Lufthansa this feature exists, so that you can be the "sponsor" for an upgrade and upgrade someone else with your frequent flyer miles.
However, I couldn't find anything similar for EK.

So, does anyone of you know if I can upgrade a ticket of someone else with my skywards miles, or is this not possible with EK?

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jan1337
If my father (or anyone else) has a booking with EK, is it possible that I upgrade him with my skywards miles?
Yes you can
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply!

Even when we're not in the same booking?

And how does it work? I suspect I have to call EK to perform the upgrade?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by aceboy44
Yes you can
It would be very helpful to the OP if you explained how this can be achieved. No doubt there are thousands of FTs waiting with baited breath for you words of wisdom
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
I upgraded someone else within the same booking using my miles at the check-in counter.

I believe you can also do this online via the manage my booking and upgrade with miles using your own account. Did you try that?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
You can gift miles.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Sorry, would have been more clear if I had mentioned in my initial post, that I'm not within the same booking.
I upgraded myself and a friend when we were in the same booking, so I know that this is possible.
But if I'm not within the booking of the person I want to upgrade, I wasn't sure if this is also possible.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daisymay2
You can gift miles.
For 25$ per 1k if I transfer them to his account? No thank you.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
For 25$ per 1k if I transfer them to his account? No thank you.

Well if you can find a way to do this let me know as I need to transfer some miles to my hubby's account.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daisymay2
Well if you can find a way to do this let me know as I need to transfer some miles to my hubby's account.
You can transfer up to 25k miles per year to another account for 25 US$ per 1.000 miles right in your skywards account menu....
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: A3 Gold, KQ Gold
Access your fathers booking via the manage my booking option. On the right hand side roughly half way down the page there will be an option to upgrade using miles, once that is clicked it will request to log in to a skywards account. Simply log in using your account details and as long as there is availability you can upgrade your fathers flight.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:48 am

You can transfer up to 25k miles per year to another account for 25 US$ per 1.000 miles right in your skywards account menu....

Yes I know that - its what I already said.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by sal77
Access your fathers booking via the manage my booking option. On the right hand side roughly half way down the page there will be an option to upgrade using miles, once that is clicked it will request to log in to a skywards account. Simply log in using your account details and as long as there is availability you can upgrade your fathers flight.
OP, I concur with sal77's explanation. I’ve done this several time in the past for my wife who was booked on a separate ticket. However, I’m not sure if it will still work with all the recent ‘enhancements’ that EK have made to their system.

I'm sure your aware that your father’s ticket now needs to be a flex or flex plus ticket in order to be able to upgrade him before online check in opens and of course you will only be able to upgrade him if there is availability.

Good luck - hope it works for you both.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
OP, I concur with sal77's explanation. I’ve done this several time in the past for my wife who was booked on a separate ticket. However, I’m not sure if it will still work with all the recent ‘enhancements’ that EK have made to their system.

I'm sure your aware that your father’s ticket now needs to be a flex or flex plus ticket in order to be able to upgrade him before online check in opens and of course you will only be able to upgrade him if there is availability.

Good luck - hope it works for you both.
Yes always traveling on Flex Plus tickets.

I clicked around my skywards account myself the last hour and found a way to upgrade him.
When clicking on "redeem miles" and then "upcoming travel" I can enter his name and booking reference to enter his booking and check for an upgrade (see screenshot).

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:26 am

And what about if you are both on the same PNR? How does it work then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.