Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Dubai transit and bag retrieval at DXB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Hoping someone can help me. I am flying Emirates (Business class) from the U.S. to South Africa in a couple weeks, and have a layover in Dubai for 9 hours. It is the shortest layover so I am taking advantage of the complementary hotel service. I will have a checked bag as well as a small carry on. I'm wondering if once I claim my bag in Dubai and go through customs, can I check in my bag for my next flight (and just bring my carryon with to the hotel)? Or do I need to lug around both bags until I head back to the airport to checkin for my second flight? Would help to know ahead of time so i can pack accordingly...

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by laur0812
Hoping someone can help me. I am flying Emirates (Business class) from the U.S. to South Africa in a couple weeks, and have a layover in Dubai for 9 hours. It is the shortest layover so I am taking advantage of the complementary hotel service. I will have a checked bag as well as a small carry on. I'm wondering if once I claim my bag in Dubai and go through customs, can I check in my bag for my next flight (and just bring my carryon with to the hotel)? Or do I need to lug around both bags until I head back to the airport to checkin for my second flight? Would help to know ahead of time so i can pack accordingly...

For transits less than 24 hours bags can be checked through. We did it for a 22 hour stop over in July.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: Emirates Platinum
You just ask them to check your bag all the way to SA and you don't have to worry about them. I do that all the time with dubai connect and put a change of clothes in my carry on. This also works when booking two separate flights for a a purpose layover in dubai.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:46 am
pdh

Programs: Skywards Gold
As kitesurfer said, get it checked all the way through to SA.

Then take a change of clothes in your checked luggage.

I did the same last year with a 9hr layover from DFW-DXB-CPT
Old Sep 16, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
FYI you can check another bag/luggage during transit in DXB (within your class allowance), if you don't need your change clothes anymore, and want to do some shopping at DDF !
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! Thats the great thing about these forums..you can get a quick answer to pretty much anything travel related by those that know from experience! Have a wonderful day!!!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:54 pm

Similar question

I have a stopover in DXB for 48 HOURS: Do I NEED to collect my checked baggage or CAN I check it through?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Marevna
I have a stopover in DXB for 48 HOURS: Do I NEED to collect my checked baggage or CAN I check it through?
For 48 hours you will need to collect your baggage - the limit is 24 hours
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
AfAIK they are very strict about the 24hr rule. I wasn't allowed through check in @ 24 hrs and 40 min last year. :-(

Had bought a few microwaves etc from the UK and was taking it to India. Didnt really want to have to carry them to the hotel@ Dubai. EK said no. :-(. Could have left them at the storage facility but being a cheapskate, I decided to take them to the hotel.

Had chauffeur drive facility anyway as it was a J ticket.

It was an interesting experience. ;-)

Last edited by ukdoctor; Sep 22, 2016 at 8:00 am
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:14 am

Dubai connect and bag retrieval at DXB.

Hi all
I am flying from LAX to LAD next week. I do this flight usually 4 times per year. Emirates have told me that I cannot get Dubai connect (le meridien Dubai) AND get my bags in Dubai. I need bags in Dubai as I need to have them wrapped as I have experienced many missing items in Luanda, Angola. I cannot wrap the bags from the US (LAX). I am spending around $10k for this flight - shouldn't they accommodate this request? What can I do? I have called Emirates and they have said it is upto the airport staff. The airport staff have always said no.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:29 am

This is standard. No bags during Dubai Connect.

1. LAX check in staff might short check.
2. Why can't you get them wrapped in LAX?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I'm pretty sure they have a wrapping service at LAX. As for things going missing, one sympathises having been the occasional victim of, erm, artful JNB baggage handlers.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:47 am

Bag retrieval and recheck at DXB - two separate tickets

I am flying into DXB via Ethiopian Airlines and travelling on to India via Emirates. My nationality requires a visa if I need to go through immigration to retrieve my bags and check them on further with Emirates. I will remain in the transit area for the few hours till my onward flight, and do not have a visa.

I understand the Marhaba services airside offer to retrieve and onward check bags and I wrote to them to reconfirm. They were very prompt and courteous and informed me that this service is indeed provided by them for a fee but not for onward travellers via Emirates as Emirates takes care of it.

How exactly does this work? Do I just go to the Emirates transit desk airside, give them my Ethiopian luggage check in receipts and will somebody go find my bags on the carousel and check them on to India. It seems to me a lot to expect of any airline staff.

Has anybody had a similar experience in DXB? Would very much appreciate any information and input. I know these are the drawbacks of travelling on two separate tickets. How does it work in practice? Thank you
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by lovetotravel123
I am flying into DXB via Ethiopian Airlines and travelling on to India via Emirates. My nationality requires a visa if I need to go through immigration to retrieve my bags and check them on further with Emirates. I will remain in the transit area for the few hours till my onward flight, and do not have a visa.

I understand the Marhaba services airside offer to retrieve and onward check bags and I wrote to them to reconfirm. They were very prompt and courteous and informed me that this service is indeed provided by them for a fee but not for onward travellers via Emirates as Emirates takes care of it.

How exactly does this work? Do I just go to the Emirates transit desk airside, give them my Ethiopian luggage check in receipts and will somebody go find my bags on the carousel and check them on to India. It seems to me a lot to expect of any airline staff.

Has anybody had a similar experience in DXB? Would very much appreciate any information and input. I know these are the drawbacks of travelling on two separate tickets. How does it work in practice? Thank you
Hi, are you sure they didn't misunderstand your question as being that you are arriving and departing both on Emirates on separate tickets and what they are referring to is that EK will through-check your bag on to the second flight? I agree it does sounds a bit much to expect EK to do.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:31 am

Thanks so much for responding skywardhunter. I am also puzzled as to whether the matter has been understood. It doesnt seem very clear in the reply they sent me. Given below

Greetings from marhaba Services!

This is to acknowledge the receipt of your email.

Kindly be informed that we do have a baggage transfer service, however, if the passenger will be flying with Emirates airlines we normally refer them to the airlines for the baggage transfer as we do not have an option to book it on our system. Also, the airlines will help their passengers in transferring the baggage.

Thank you for your interest in using marhaba Services. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests in Dubai International Airport!

Best Regards,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.