Auto upgrade

Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Would it be mischievous of me to think that people on saver fares would have more chance of getting auto-upgraded, as it uses more points?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Would it be mischievous of me to think that people on saver fares would have more chance of getting auto-upgraded, as it uses more points?
Don't they have to wait until check-in?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Don't they have to wait until check-in?
Not if they are in J. The waiting till checkin bit is only for Y tickets.

Saver J from UK to DXB needs 39000 miles to upgrade to F and flex J costs 30000 miles.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Not if they are in J. The waiting till checkin bit is only for Y tickets.

Saver J from UK to DXB needs 39000 miles to upgrade to F and flex J costs 30000 miles.
Apologies, my mind lives in Y
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:29 pm

Apologies, my mind lives in Y
Mine is also a combo of Y and J (50/50)

Usually try to upgrade the night flights to J. I don't bother much about the day flights especially on the DXB-DEL-DXB route.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Mine is also a combo of Y and J (50/50)

Usually try to upgrade the night flights to J. I don't bother much about the day flights especially on the DXB-DEL-DXB route.
Well those a easy free upgrades quite often. >=50% op-up rate on HYD routes this year for myself.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
India is brilliant for cheap upgrades. I once upgraded from Y to F on a BOM-DXB leg for 90 dirhams (Y to J cost 60) plus taxes! Shame there aren't that many a380s flying to India.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:44 pm

Well those a easy free upgrades quite often. >=50% op-up rate on HYD routes this year for myself.
That's true. Even as a silver (lost gold due to not travelling much on EK nowadays), DEL is very proactive in op ups.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by regensburg
I am flying First and still got up grade option
Flying business from BHX (which is 2 class anyway) and get the same.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:23 am

I'm not seeing this auto upgrade feature where described in the OP. Could that be due to one sector already being available for upgrade?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:02 am

For clarity: Manage My Booking > Upgrade with Miles

It appears for myself on a Y Flex as Gold member. It may not appear based on certain criteria, we don't know, but it looks like this:

Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:32 am

For clarity: Manage My Booking > Upgrade with Miles

It appears for myself on a Y Flex as Gold member. It may not appear based on certain criteria, we don't know, but it looks like this:
Same page for me but different options, and mine is a Y Flex as Gold too. Perhaps EK IT never thought that one flight might already be available but I might want to auto upgrade a different one.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Same page for me but different options, and mine is a Y Flex as Gold too. Perhaps EK IT never thought that one flight might already be available but I might want to auto upgrade a different one.
You already have alerts set, perhaps this is why. If you cancel the alert does it show the option?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:53 am

You already have alerts set, perhaps this is why. If you cancel the alert does it show the option?
I thought of that myself and just tried it - no change. The modify/cancel alert page is another one that I won't hurry back to. How it passed software quality assurance (!) I'll never know.

I didn't realise the alerts and auto upgrades only work within 30 days of the flight until now either.

A good feature I came across that seemed to work OK was a new (to me) option in seat selection with a "Next Flight" button. Saves a bit time by not going back a page after each sector.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by ft101
A good feature I came across that seemed to work OK was a new (to me) option in seat selection with a "Next Flight" button. Saves a bit time by not going back a page after each sector.
Pretty sure that's been around for a while, however EK is pretty good at getting the right seat selection for me automatically I find. The window nearest the front where the aisle is selected but middle is empty, that's my go-to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.