Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates 777 (EK521) crash landing at DXB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
An Emirates Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EMW performing flight UAE521/EK521 from Thiruvananthapuram (India) VOTV to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) OMDB with 275 people on board, was on final approach to Dubai's runway 12L at 12:41L (08:41Z) but attempted to go around from low height. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames. Passengers are being reported evacuated and safe. The aircraft burned down completely.

Source: AVHerald

http://avherald.com/h?article=49c12302&opt=0
Print Wikipost

Emirates 777 (EK521) crash landing at DXB

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Listening to Dubai Arrival frequency ATC the term "Emergency Aircraft" is used approx 30-60s prior to EK521 being heard on the Tower frequency, indicating this was a declared Mayday

Around 5:30ish on 0830Z-0900Z: http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php?m=omdb22
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by jbflyboy84
I'm in the Concourse B J Lounge at the moment... ground handling situation seems to be quite smooth at the moment.

Hope all those onboard are ok. I arrived 45min before this flight, feels a little too close for comfort!
Looks like you'll be in the lounge for a while. Hopefully the Champagne is well stocked.

Lots of flights diverted. Should make the next 24-48 hours at DXB pretty interesting in terms of clearing the runway and getting flights going again.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Wing is (at least somewhat) attached but engine has detached and inverted on top of the wing. The engine intake is facing the flaps and the flap position shows the wing is right-side-up
On a second viewing you are indeed correct. The rip from where the engine pylon has pulled up through the wing made it look like a detachment the first time i saw it.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
Looks like you'll be in the lounge for a while. Hopefully the Champagne is well stocked.

Lots of flights diverted. Should make the next 24-48 hours at DXB pretty interesting in terms of clearing the runway and getting flights going again.
Hopefully single runway ops this evening with taxiway M (the one between the runways) closed in the section of the wreckage.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:37 am

I'm on EK3 to LHR and they've just brought the delay forward from 4hrs to only 1hr 40min, many other flights have had delays reduced as well... no idea how they've done this, but kudos to them if they can start getting flights out again so quickly.

Emirates are being really good with regular updates through all channels (online and offline).
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:39 am

Report of attempted low go-around with early gear retraction. Sounds like a stall, but unconfirmed http://avherald.com/h?article=49c12302&opt=0
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: A-Club Platinum, Emirates Platinum, Aegean Gold
Was in a meeting in one of the buildings overlooking the runway when someone said an aircraft had just landed and there was smoke coming from there.

Was able to see the passengers who had evacuate and watch the emergency crew arrive to tackle the blaze.

Within what seemed like 2 or 3 minutes there was an explosion and a large fireball followed by a huge amount of black smoke. So we watched this for a few minutes before going back inside to continue the meeting.

About 5 minutes later there was another big explosion that we could here inside.

I am sat in my office now and can see the aircraft and not much is left apart from the tail, very sad sight to see.

Must say that the emergency services were there in what seemed like double quick time and it seemed as though everyone was moved from the plane before the first big bang.

It is strange, I took my camera phone out to take a picture and video, but stopped after a few seconds as it just seemed wrong to film something when I didn't know if everyone was out safely.

Any peeps, stay safe on your travels
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:34 am

noticed that they have blocked most of the flights on Flight radar 24 which would be useful for people to find out where flights have been diverted to.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:36 am

Good to hear everyone was evacuated safely.

Few questions people, I think the DXB-India-DXB rotations are done with one set of crew? If so when did the flight to India leave Dubai this morning, and how many hours have they logged until the landing incident in Dubai?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:37 am

In this situation would you be able to take your passports and wallet with you when evacuating begins. Wouldn't care about anything else.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:38 am

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/om...2016-0830Z.mp3

The landing runway tower controller has to repeatedly tell 'FIRE 1' the lead fire veichle to enter the runway and proceed to the aircraft. Seems the common sence thing to do would be to proceed straight to the aircraft in distress and fight the fire, but perhaps common sence is lacking in DXB airfield fire service.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by NOIR
Good to hear everyone was evacuated safely.

Few questions people, I think the DXB-India-DXB rotations are done with one set of crew? If so when did the flight to India leave Dubai this morning, and how many hours have they logged until the landing incident in Dubai?
It would have been the evening departure most likely, around 9-10pm for most India flights, it's about 3-4 hours each way depending on where, they were coming from pretty far down south. I believe there are a few India routes where they may be layovers, not sure if this is one of them.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:47 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Jann58
In this situation would you be able to take your passports and wallet with you when evacuating begins. Wouldn't care about anything else.
My own personal rule is: Shoes on, wallet, passport and phone in pockets for every take off & landing. Anything else stays on the plane in the event of an evacuation.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Jann58
This is exactly why you have your personal items on you and shoes on for takeoff/landing In fact, I recall a thread earlier this year where someone was questioning why they should wear shoes etc. for takeoff/landing. Well. Question answered!

Glad to hear everyone got out safely - good evacuation in the one/two minutes they had before fire.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:48 am

All you should do in this situation is get the f*** out... Passport and wallet would be my least concern unless I have them in my pocket.

Glad to see that there are no casualties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.