Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates 777 (EK521) crash landing at DXB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
An Emirates Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EMW performing flight UAE521/EK521 from Thiruvananthapuram (India) VOTV to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) OMDB with 275 people on board, was on final approach to Dubai's runway 12L at 12:41L (08:41Z) but attempted to go around from low height. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames. Passengers are being reported evacuated and safe. The aircraft burned down completely.

Source: AVHerald

http://avherald.com/h?article=49c12302&opt=0
Print Wikipost

Emirates 777 (EK521) crash landing at DXB

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:33 pm
Lux

Some quick thoughts.

The speculation on the cause of this is pointless unless you have very specific knowledge of handling the big jets, and this specific flight. Uninformed speculation is boring. Grounding all 777s? Come on...

I'm really impressed, from a distance at least, at how Emirates has handled this - their media plan worked, the website has gone monochrome for a while and there seems to be no ongoing calamity with flight delays and cancellations.

I'm also impressed at how the Emirates board has reacted. If this was certain other forums (ahem, BA), there'd be uproar.

None of us have any idea of how we'd react in this situation, stopping to get luggage is dumb but oddly understandable. I'm a pilot (of little planes) and have practiced emergencies hundreds of times, and therefore I'm the kind of person who actually thinks what they'd do sitting on the exit row, but I can't predict what would happen if I was in a crash as a passenger. Darn sure I'd look out the window to check for fire though, and make sure I'm sitting near an exit.

I've learned from FT to have my passport, phone and a couple of credit cards in my pocket when taking off and landing. The experience of passengers on the BA flight that crashed at Heathrow a few years ago was that, without a passport, they were stuck in the lounge for a very long time. With a passport, they could have gone home.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by Lux
The experience of passengers on the BA flight that crashed at Heathrow a few years ago was that, without a passport, they were stuck in the lounge for a very long time. With a passport, they could have gone home.
And the vast majority of passengers on EK521 were not citizens of the UAE and so their visas were in their passport as well if they were residents.
So it is not just a matter of going home vs the lounge, but one of their livelihood as well. At least that is the way the thought process worked.

The authorities have handled it admirably so far, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement that in such a similar case in future, God forbid, expats will get their visas back even if they lose the passport .. after getting a temporary entry visa on arrival

For e.g. an Indian travelling to BAH/KWI via DXB would have to go back to India and possibly lose his job in case he lost his passport. There is absolutely no way he would get his Qatar or Kuwaiti work visa back when stuck in DXB ....

Last edited by LonghornDXB; Aug 3, 2016 at 11:21 pm
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
I am guessing that when a few passengers near the exit started taking their bags down, it blocked the exits and other pax thought "why not take our bags down as well instead of waiting and doing nothing"
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Full ATC with subtitled. Appears go-around on first attempt gone wrong.

My assumptions: early gear retraction without consistent positive rate of climb and/or strong wind shear causing stall into the ground.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the link:
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some media (CNN?) have been reporting that thirteen passengers were injured, received medical attention (not clear whether they were taken to hospitals), and released.

Also, in contrast to the information in the wiki, the count seems to be 282 passengers and 18 crew for a total of 300 people on board.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
And the vast majority of passengers on EK521 were not citizens of the UAE and so their visas were in their passport as well if they were residents.
So it is not just a matter of going home vs the lounge, but one of their livelihood as well. At least that is the way the thought process worked.

The authorities have handled it admirably so far, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement that in such a similar case in future, God forbid, expats will get their visas back even if they lose the passport .. after getting a temporary entry visa on arrival

For e.g. an Indian travelling to BAH/KWI via DXB would have to go back to India and possibly lose his job in case he lost his passport. There is absolutely no way he would get his Qatar or Kuwaiti work visa back when stuck in DXB ....
A video from inside the plane has emerged which does show some chaos on board with FAs commanding passengers to not take their bags.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36971855

I don't what others do but I generally keep my passport with me most of the time. If not with me, it is in my small laptop bag that is with me & not in the overhead bin. Thefts do happen inside the planes and last thing you want is to lose your passport.

It is also a good idea to have digital scanned copies of your passport and visas (passport protected PDFs or zip files) on a small USB or even on a secure server. A friend's bag was stolen on a train in Europe and he was able to get an emergency passport and temp VISA issued after he showed the scanned copies.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I maybe missing something, but FR24 only shows one landing attempt. How can wind shear cause gear to retract?
Sorry for not wording my post correctly.

The plane was aborting a 2nd landing attempt and it had it's gear retracted, and during that a wind shear caused it to 'crash land'.

Again, as ACARS said, take this with a pinch of salt, since it's mostly gossip from EGHQ.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:17 am

Where is the evidence that this was a second attempt? I haven't seen any so far.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Bear in mind, a lot of passengers on this flight do not travel regularly and are not savvy travellers (no offence meant) so for them to pack their passport/documents in their travel bag and to store it in the bin above is normal. They are not expecting a plane crash.

For them, panic sets in during a crash but not losing their valuable documents is also vital.

But we also saw some people taking their own sweet time getting their bags and taking their time getting out...things only started to move foward and evacuate really when the FA's started shouting and getting people to move...

This could have ended tragically if the fuel blew up whilst people were still monkeying about with their bags or causing the walk way to be blocked or causing a 'traffic jam' of sorts...

Well done to the FA's for taking control of the situation and getting people to move
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Redhat72

It is also a good idea to have digital scanned copies of your passport and visas (passport protected PDFs or zip files) on a small USB or even on a secure server. A friend's bag was stolen on a train in Europe and he was able to get an emergency passport and temp VISA issued after he showed the scanned copies.
I have scanned copies of the passport of myself and my family in "the cloud". I can access them at any time. The files itself are not called passport.jpg or something like that in the event of a hack or so but it is still a safe option for traveling.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Where is the evidence that this was a second attempt? I haven't seen any so far.
Gossip my friend, just gossip.

No solid info as far as I know. Just rumours.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iRobert
I have scanned copies of the passport of myself and my family in "the cloud".
That might give you some sense of security... but what do you intend to do with copies? Not travel that's for sure, and most places won't take them as proof of identity either.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by murtaza12
Gossip my friend, just gossip.

No solid info as far as I know. Just rumours.
Well there appears to be fairly solid info from both FR24 and Planefinder that only one attempt was made, so the gossip looks pretty rubbish to me.

Unless someone can point to some differing info I wouldn't pay any heed to that gossip.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Probably have to wait for Boeing/NTSB investigators to do their work to see if it is something that would warrant a fleet wide grounding (e.g. the initial 787 battery problems) or if it was something specific to the conditions or the frame.
Boeing and the NTSB are not going to be the lead investigators on this. The investigation will be carried out by the UAE's General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA). The GCAA may invite the NTSB and Boeing to assist, but the NTSB will not be running it or issuing the report.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
That might give you some sense of security... but what do you intend to do with copies? Not travel that's for sure, and most places won't take them as proof of identity either.
It will make your life a lot easier should you lose them. It's a sensible thing to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.