EK 408

Reply

Old Jul 1, 16, 6:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 406
EK 408

The last 5 or 6 times we've travelled GLA-MEL return we have included EK 408 on the outbound journey. This stopped at KUL for refuelling (which we liked in preference to non-stop DXB-MEL as it broke the journey up and we had a nice break in the EK lounge).

When I did a search for flights a month ago EK 408 still had one stop. However, when I made a firm booking over the weekend for January '17 outbound travel, EK 408 is now non-stop DXB-MEL.

At the moment however 408 still has one stop in KUL.

I was just curious as to why this change was made? (I'm guessing 'operational reasons' will be cited). The plane incidentally turns around in MEL and still stops in KUL en-route to DXB.
OzTennis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 16, 7:12 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 15,275
People prefer (for the most part) nonstop over direct flights. EK has been pushing recently to make that so for Australia and New Zealand. BTW EK409 changes to nonstop MEL-DXB also.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 1, 16 at 7:22 am
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 16, 1:50 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 406
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
People prefer (for the most part) nonstop over direct flights. EK has been pushing recently to make that so for Australia and New Zealand. BTW EK409 changes to nonstop MEL-DXB also.
So not 'operational reasons' but customer feedback acted upon?

Obviously if the plane doesn't stop we can't get off in KUL but that's our preference fwiw. C'est la vie.
OzTennis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 16, 2:42 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur
Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
Posts: 98
That's such a shame. Being based in KUL, EK408/409 has been one of our favourite ways of getting to and from Australia. I guess there's not enough of us to make a difference.
activistflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 16, 5:21 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 406
Originally Posted by activistflyer View Post
That's such a shame. Being based in KUL, EK408/409 has been one of our favourite ways of getting to and from Australia. I guess there's not enough of us to make a difference.
Yes, we used to like the brief stop there - a mere few hundred yards from the plane to the EK lounge which was never busy with just the F/J pax from our flight. I presume other EK flights still stopover at KUL and the lounge won't close?
OzTennis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 16, 6:23 am
  #6  
Ambassador: Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,317
Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
Yes, we used to like the brief stop there - a mere few hundred yards from the plane to the EK lounge which was never busy with just the F/J pax from our flight. I presume other EK flights still stopover at KUL and the lounge won't close?
EK will surely continue direct O/D service
skywardhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 16, 6:36 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur
Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
Yes, we used to like the brief stop there - a mere few hundred yards from the plane to the EK lounge which was never busy with just the F/J pax from our flight. I presume other EK flights still stopover at KUL and the lounge won't close?
Yes, EK has another three daily flights from DXB that turn around in KUL. Just will be missing the thru service to Melbourne from end-Oct.
activistflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 16, 1:34 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 406
Originally Posted by activistflyer View Post
Yes, EK has another three daily flights from DXB that turn around in KUL. Just will be missing the thru service to Melbourne from end-Oct.
Thanks.
OzTennis is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread