EK 408

Old Jul 1, 16, 6:31 am
Original Poster

EK 408

The last 5 or 6 times we've travelled GLA-MEL return we have included EK 408 on the outbound journey. This stopped at KUL for refuelling (which we liked in preference to non-stop DXB-MEL as it broke the journey up and we had a nice break in the EK lounge).

When I did a search for flights a month ago EK 408 still had one stop. However, when I made a firm booking over the weekend for January '17 outbound travel, EK 408 is now non-stop DXB-MEL.

At the moment however 408 still has one stop in KUL.

I was just curious as to why this change was made? (I'm guessing 'operational reasons' will be cited). The plane incidentally turns around in MEL and still stops in KUL en-route to DXB.
Old Jul 1, 16, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
People prefer (for the most part) nonstop over direct flights. EK has been pushing recently to make that so for Australia and New Zealand. BTW EK409 changes to nonstop MEL-DXB also.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 1, 16 at 7:22 am
Old Jul 3, 16, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
People prefer (for the most part) nonstop over direct flights. EK has been pushing recently to make that so for Australia and New Zealand. BTW EK409 changes to nonstop MEL-DXB also.
So not 'operational reasons' but customer feedback acted upon?

Obviously if the plane doesn't stop we can't get off in KUL but that's our preference fwiw. C'est la vie.
Old Jul 3, 16, 2:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
That's such a shame. Being based in KUL, EK408/409 has been one of our favourite ways of getting to and from Australia. I guess there's not enough of us to make a difference.
Old Jul 8, 16, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by activistflyer View Post
That's such a shame. Being based in KUL, EK408/409 has been one of our favourite ways of getting to and from Australia. I guess there's not enough of us to make a difference.
Yes, we used to like the brief stop there - a mere few hundred yards from the plane to the EK lounge which was never busy with just the F/J pax from our flight. I presume other EK flights still stopover at KUL and the lounge won't close?
Old Jul 8, 16, 6:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
Yes, we used to like the brief stop there - a mere few hundred yards from the plane to the EK lounge which was never busy with just the F/J pax from our flight. I presume other EK flights still stopover at KUL and the lounge won't close?
EK will surely continue direct O/D service
Old Jul 8, 16, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
Yes, EK has another three daily flights from DXB that turn around in KUL. Just will be missing the thru service to Melbourne from end-Oct.
Old Jul 9, 16, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by activistflyer View Post
Yes, EK has another three daily flights from DXB that turn around in KUL. Just will be missing the thru service to Melbourne from end-Oct.
Thanks.