Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upfront from economy flex to business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Hello

If I book an economy flex ticket to Dubai from either London or Manchester and upgrade to business using the 39k option will I have to pay any more fuel surcharges etc?

I know I'll have to pay more apd taxes if I upgrade

Thanks all
Old May 29, 2016, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
Hello

If I book an economy flex ticket to Dubai from either London or Manchester and upgrade to business using the 39k option will I have to pay any more fuel surcharges etc?

I know I'll have to pay more apd taxes if I upgrade

Thanks all
No, just the APD - unless you do it on board after doors closed in which case they won't charge it either but you will need to be silver or above and there needs to be space available then.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that. Sounds a pretty good deal then.

What's the best way to check for upgrade availability other than Ringing up?

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
No, just the APD - unless you do it on board after doors closed in which case they won't charge it either but you will need to be silver or above and there needs to be space available then.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
Thanks for that. Sounds a pretty good deal then.

What's the best way to check for upgrade availability other than Ringing up?
If you have a reservation already go to Manage My Booking > Upgrade with miles or what I find easier is to check in the app if you go to My Trips > Open the trip and click the menu three-dot icon in the top right and select Upgrade.

If you don't have a reservation I'm not sure but if you try to book with miles I think it's the same availability as for upgrades, so if you can buy a J seat with miles you should be able to upgrade Y>J as well.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
If you don't have a reservation I'm not sure but if you try to book with miles I think it's the same availability as for upgrades, so if you can buy a J seat with miles you should be able to upgrade Y>J as well.
Almost. A Business Saver Reward needs to be available. A Business Flex Award books into "O", while Flex Rewards and Y-J upgrades both book into "D".
Old May 29, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I'm in Y on EK in a few days. Its a saver Y as well.

Since my first flight is not on EK (though ticketed on EK), I cannot do online checkin either.

I am also down to Silver now and therefore no lounge access at outstations. :-(

What's the latest on onboard upgrades with miles? .Is the physical skywards card needed?. I have either lost mine or they haven't sent it yet. :-(
Old May 29, 2016, 12:58 pm

card is not needed, they can check your status and miles on board.
Old May 29, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by iRobert
card is not needed, they can check your status and miles on board.
Physical card is technically needed - there is a confirmation box when they go through the upgrade process on the purser tablet that tells the purser to check documents and physical skywards card is present and valid.

In practice, this is hit and miss. To be safe you can print a card from the website.
Old May 29, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Physical card is technically needed - there is a confirmation box when they go through the upgrade process on the purser tablet that tells the purser to check documents and physical skywards card is present and valid.

In practice, this is hit and miss. To be safe you can print a card from the website.
Will do. I hadn't confirmed my address and that's why EK had not sent me my silver card. (Lost gold a few months ago)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.