Search

Walkabout in Aus, ex UK in J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Silver...just
Walkabout in Aus, ex UK in J

Hi folks,
Trying to find details of how to book the Walkabout fare (and what it actually is and how to book, check flights etc) as the EK website has just a small paragraph but nothing else.
I'm flying into Perth (ex UK) then back from Sydney 10 days later, but visiting Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane and then Sydney.
I'm flying J on EK if that makes any difference to the domestic flights in AUS but happy to fly Y down under for sure.
I'm guessing i can obviously just phone them but as I'm just at planning stage now i wanted to check flight schedules etc online if possible?
Thanks for any pointers?
MarshyM
PS - Happy that Stella is onboard, happier that the current MrsMarshyM doesn't fly with me!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:58 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Hi MarshyM. I am usually reasonably up on the EK/QF partnership but this one has me a bit stumped. I think it would be best for you to contact a T.A or even better, the EK office local to you to enquire about this.

The best I can find is QF walkabout passes available for flights departing from Belgium, the Netherlands and Sweden. That's not what you're looking for though.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:06 pm
Lux

I think - I think - the information on the Emirates website is out of date. The Walkabout Pass is now called the Explorer Pass by Qantas.

Details
Fare Rules

I agree, just call Emirates!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input guys; I have called EK call centre...they are genuinely quite useless though.
basically told me I'm better of booking the whole thing on Qantas, even the internationals from the UK. Brilliant.
haha
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by MarshyM
Thanks for the input guys; I have called EK call centre...they are genuinely quite useless though.
basically told me I'm better of booking the whole thing on Qantas, even the internationals from the UK. Brilliant.
haha
Even though "advertised on EK website" , this in fact a QF fare, so QF are the ones who have the knowledge and expertise re this fare.one of the conditions is..I believe..that one must arrive oz/nz on QF .However that condition may have been waved because of the EK codeshare.also that condition possibly may be illegal and therefore not adhered to.it would be good to know if one can arrive on EK flight ...codeshare or not...and be able to use the "pass".
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:19 am
Original Poster

I can only do this on QF website with Economy International flights, not J!
More hanging on the phone then...
You'd think this day and age hey...!?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:39 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by MarshyM
I can only do this on QF website with Economy International flights, not J!
More hanging on the phone then...
You'd think this day and age hey...!?
I guess 'walkabout' and J are not supposed to mix....
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:50 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

MarshyM remember that these fares are basically designed for sweaty backpackers who wouldn't be paying for international J. They're probably (imo wrongly) just a bit confused as to why someone who wants to travel in a premium cabin would also want to save money.

I've just made a dummy booking on the EK website to help you out and to give you an idea of how you could do this through EK using LCC for your eastern side travel:

LHR-PER J on EK
PER-SYD Y on QF (Although if you're into flying in style, you can fly the QF A333 new J class on this route and it is a stunning product)
SYD-LHR J on EK

I did this on a multi city booking on the EK website and with the PER-SYD flight in the middle in Y it was GBP3200, in J it was GBP3450. You could then fly about using LCC on the eastern side to see ADL, MEL and (if you must) BNE. Would recommend going further north in QLD but its your trip.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks sysdtogla. unfortunately i have to do them in a certain order as I'm presenting in each evening in each city. Its Wednesday so it must be Adelaide type scenario, sadly!
i 'have' to go to BNE as it's a business trip. Never been to Aus before, but have the choice to spend the weekend in MEL or BNE...im thinking MEL on your comments re BNE?!
I've only got a night in everywhere else apart from SYD and that weekend in between.
Cheers
marshy
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:43 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

I'd say go to MEL. You won't have the sunshine/heat like you would up in BNE but there is a lot more going on down there. No offence to any FTers from S.E QLD, but it wouldn't be high on my list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.