Not much on here about LGW

Old Jan 17, 18, 2:47 pm
Lux

Originally Posted by Brink View Post
T3 is a zoo and what a mess they have made of the shopping area you have to meander around. The only advantage at LHR is direct boarding from the lounge, but to be honest, I don't mind the short walk at LGW.
I'm guessing you haven't been through the new LGW North disco yet? All passengers now have to go through a loud, brash, windy, unnecessary duty free area right after security to get to the main lounge area. Narrow walkways, and you'll be stuck behind slower walkers with trolley bags. It's worse that LHR T3, Sydney arrivals etc.

Gatwick is great for: public transport, security (I've never waited at the main security point, much better than LHR), the lounge is welcoming, anecdotally more chance of an OP-UP.

Gatwick is bad for: the long walk to the gate, over that bridge, with the terrible HSBC audio advertising that makes you feel you are on your way to be euthanised; no from-lounge boarding; the e-gates for passport control being less well organised; and that awful shopping area.

No real difference between LGW and LHR for me.
Old Jan 18, 18, 12:54 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver, Easyjet plus ;)
I'm just back on Tuesday from a holiday using LGW to connect to Emirates.

LGW for me is far better than LHR. For a start it's cheaper - I think there's a 30 surcharge for LHR. Yes LGW has just opened the new duty free that you have to walk through, but given it brings you into the terminal closer to the EK gate and lounge, it's probably no real change.

The lounge in LGW is great, loads of space, great food selection, nice chatty staff, and very clean. I miss the runway views that LHR has, but that's it.

For someone who doesn't like walking, the walk to the gate isn't that bad. The crazy HSBC bird noises are gone on the bridge, and they've opened up the windows now without the advertising, so you get much better views of the airport. It probably feels worse on the walk getting off the plane back to immigration. However, it isn't that much different to many airports - a concourse C arrival on EK at DXB feels worse!

Would really recommend LGW if it is at all convenient for you, however I wouldn't go massively out of your way to go there, just don't treat it as a second-rate LHR, as for EK its better IMHO.
nmc980 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 1:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Lux View Post
I'm guessing you haven't been through the new LGW North disco yet?
It's the same at most UK airports now. At MAN T1, there used to be a shortcut that shave off 15 seconds or so... but they closed that loophole a few weeks back
Will08 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 1:21 pm

I've done the LGW duty free meander several times, but it's still less zoo-like than LHR. I forgot about the runway view at LHR and I did enjoy that last time I was there, but all things considered, I still preferred LGW. Baggage was super quick too. Last time at LHR I waited ages. Add the fact that with the limo service I can get from LGW to home in SE London in under an hour = big thumbs up. The drive from LHR.... erm what can I say apart from it once took FOUR hours. But I guess that's only an advantage for some depending on where you live.
Old Jan 18, 18, 2:12 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Brink View Post
I've done the LGW duty free meander several times, but it's still less zoo-like than LHR. I forgot about the runway view at LHR and I did enjoy that last time I was there, but all things considered,
You also get a great view of the runway at LHR as you sit for 30 minutes waiting to take off... Without a drink!
​​​​​
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Jan 19, 18, 11:25 am

I much prefer LGW.

For the reasons above, also Gatwick seems to avoid the gargantuan SNAFUs that occur at Heathrow every time we get a cm of snow.
Old Jan 19, 18, 1:12 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA Gold, EY Silver, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
I prefer Gatwick but EK moved me to LHR for two flights this year due to lack of F

It is quite a walk to the gate from the lounge however it’s enjoyable with good views but my mother complained it’s on her limit and on the return she hated the long winding path to the broken passport machines.