Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) 2016

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) 2016

Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: LH HON
Do I still beat the queue when boarding from the lounge (T3A) even as Economy pax?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ckx2
Do I still beat the queue when boarding from the lounge (T3A) even as Economy pax?
Not really as you just go straight into the boarding area not direct onto the plane
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by m3red
It's probably the safest. It's pretty sketchy as you are blatantly playing the system. In my view to avoid EK possibly cancelling your booking it's probably best to stay the night. Do people get off and reboard on this route? I'm actually not sure how this would work save to say EK would not be impressed.
I remember doing something similar on a BA flight. We originally booked LHR-AUH, but then tagged on AUH-MCT as a separate booking. We had all sorts of issues at LHR - they couldn't issue a boarding pass as the AUH-MCT flight was not yet open. Without the BP, it would have meant getting off the plane and going through transit - and potentially missing the onward flight. I eventually managed to print the BP myself somewhere in the depths of LHR T4. As it happened, this was a regular occurrence, so the AUH staff met us at the door and scanned our BPs. They also ensured the luggage stayed on.

As for the CMB flight, I'm not sure they'll be able to have the system leave your luggage on board. They'll normally be tagged SIN-CMB-DXB-JFK, which means they'll leave the plane at CMB, and then get reloaded. Depending on how long the transit is at CMB, there may not be time.

Good question though...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I remember doing something similar on a BA flight. We originally booked LHR-AUH, but then tagged on AUH-MCT as a separate booking. We had all sorts of issues at LHR - they couldn't issue a boarding pass as the AUH-MCT flight was not yet open. Without the BP, it would have meant getting off the plane and going through transit - and potentially missing the onward flight. I eventually managed to print the BP myself somewhere in the depths of LHR T4. As it happened, this was a regular occurrence, so the AUH staff met us at the door and scanned our BPs. They also ensured the luggage stayed on.

As for the CMB flight, I'm not sure they'll be able to have the system leave your luggage on board. They'll normally be tagged SIN-CMB-DXB-JFK, which means they'll leave the plane at CMB, and then get reloaded. Depending on how long the transit is at CMB, there may not be time.

Good question though...
it is a good question but transit time is minimal - not to mention exiting/rexiting issue re visa/transit visa...

I looked at this - miles cheaper to buy DXB CMB CMB SIN than DXB SIN. The return flight is the issue - lands in CMB at 1.55 am and leaves at 3am so pretty horrible.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Not really as you just go straight into the boarding area not direct onto the plane
At Concourse A it depends on the gate - for instance, for the single level gates at each end of the terminal, even if you take the "Economy" Lifts, you still are deposited past the boarding area and walk straight onto the jetbridge.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:32 am

Good question though...
It depends on how it's entered into the system - baggage systems are pretty separate to reservations and passengers, so you can do things like interline bags all the way using separate itineraries. Whilst the baggage system usually has prepopulated routing for a piece from the check-in system, it can always be overridden (so you can do things like short-checking). Then ground staff can call the handlers to make sure the bag is placed in the correct container, and your luggage identifier manually attached to the next reservation.

imho, the luggage situation is the least of your worries - the main things are whether you can get away with it (and I think you probably can, because wasn't there a trip report from someone who was in F DXB-CMB and then Y CMB-SIN because of awards/cash?)
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:40 am

Taking my first EK flights in April. In 77W and A380. Both in F. Where do you keep your carry-on? It looks like there are no overheads bins in F
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by bob26
Taking my first EK flights in April. In 77W and A380. Both in F. Where do you keep your carry-on? It looks like there are no overheads bins in F
There is a cubby hole in the suite that takes a regular sized carry-on. There are straps to secure from what I remember.

If it's oversized, the FA's will find generally somewhere.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:46 am

There is a cubby hole in the suite that takes a regular sized carry-on. There are straps to secure from what I remember.

If it's oversized, the FA's will find generally somewhere.
Sits in the footwell basically - straps are there but no one makes you use them. Make sure to grab your jacket after!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:45 am

Looking at flying to Dubai in August. The current Featured Fares on the Emirates website exclude departures 21st July-10th August 2016 for flights ex LON/BHX/MAN. It makes an economy return Ł634 for departures on these dates compared to Ł379 a few weeks before or after.

Is this because of the UK school holidays or is it just a peculiarity of this particular offer? Should I hold out for a different offer?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by mastutio
Looking at flying to Dubai in August. The current Featured Fares on the Emirates website exclude departures 21st July-10th August 2016 for flights ex LON/BHX/MAN. It makes an economy return £634 for departures on these dates compared to £379 a few weeks before or after.

Is this because of the UK school holidays or is it just a peculiarity of this particular offer? Should I hold out for a different offer?
UK school holidays. I wouldn't expect any decent prices until immediately before departure.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPGold 75K
What type of power outlets do they have in the first class lounge in Dubai? I am traveling in a few weeks and have a long layover and would like to charge my electronics. All of my stuff is 100-240V so I will just need an adapter. When I googled it I couldn't get a definitive answer. Would appreciate advice. Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by smiem
What type of power outlets do they have in the first class lounge in Dubai? I am traveling in a few weeks and have a long layover and would like to charge my electronics. All of my stuff is 100-240V so I will just need an adapter. When I googled it I couldn't get a definitive answer. Would appreciate advice. Thanks!
British rectangular 3 pin

Note they have lockable charging stations with various cable types in situated in the lounge.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by kuroko
not aware as I never buy alcohol in duty free - a friend of mine bought a whiskey in KIX duty free and is travelling to Europe - as long as the bottle is sealed it wont be a problem in DXB transit - correct? Check-in agent told him that transit securty will take the bottle away.

Thanks for your help!
maybe of interest for someone else: no problem at all to transit with the bottle
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Using Alaska Air miles to fly EK in September/October. I have downloaded the EK iPhone app (iPhone 6s) and loaded my trips. The trips do show but when I try and select them to look at seats etc, it gives me the following message "We are having technical difficulties at this time. Please try again later." This has been happening for several weeks and I even tried deleting and adding them again with the same result. I can review, changes seats, select meals etc. on the website but the app is just not working. Is this common or is it just something with my reservations? Thanks for the help!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.