Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
jetwings, in all honesty, I think it would be very unfair of anyone here to raise any serious expectations that you might secure a comp upgrade without relatively high Skywards status ....ie Gold or above, as mentioned by lighthand.

The fact is, op-ups these days are not given on some sort of request basis, but are invariably pre-determined by flight control within defined criteria.

If you're really keen to get a bigger seat, then the reality is you will need to stump up cash or miles.

(no doubt someone will now pop up to say that they were upgraded on their very first flight with EK, in the same way that people win the lottery .....)
Op ups are still common but also more difficult to get. Many routes I fly are in the 77w so J to F is tough as there always seems to be tons of people willing to spend miles. Take MAN as an example - so many people use points J to F it often goes full especially as there is now only one A380 daily F service.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Op ups are still common but also more difficult to get. Many routes I fly are in the 77w so J to F is tough as there always seems to be tons of people willing to spend miles. Take MAN as an example - so many people use points J to F it often goes full especially as there is now only one A380 daily F service.
I thought all the UK F cabins are pretty much full because of Captains and their families (or not!) taking up seats
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I thought all the UK F cabins are pretty much full because of Captains and their families (or not!) taking up seats
Yes. 'Twas ever thus !

Can remember a similar pattern on GF flights when based in Bahrain.

m3red .....is it too late to get yourself through all the training + qualifying hours to make it to Captain ....??!! Think of the cash you could save on all those F class trips ....
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Yes. 'Twas ever thus !

Can remember a similar pattern on GF flights when based in Bahrain.

m3red .....is it too late to get yourself through all the training + qualifying hours to make it to Captain ....??!! Think of the cash you could save on all those F class trips ....
Its true actually lots of captains families filling up F.

Too late for me I prefer to pay and enjoy the service - I'd have to behave if I was staff.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:37 am

Fair enough !

Although ......when I see the sort of service Captains generally receive from cabin crew (as in being well & truly fawned over ....) when travelling as pax, whether duty/leisure, I reckon I could happily conform to the necessary 'behaviour code' ......
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: EK Blue
subject2load: thank you. My concern is whether it is done in starting point or at the connection. IN my last 4 flights on EK, got upgraded two times in-spite of no skywards first time and Blue second time. But both if the times either DXB is origin or destination but not transit.
To confirm myself: is it fair to assume that the second leg will be upgraded (if at all) at DXB Gate.. but not check in as one will not check in at the transit.
Am I correct?

Sorry.. I am sort of newbie in flying and here also..

jetwings, in all honesty, I think it would be very unfair of anyone here to raise any serious expectations that you might secure a comp upgrade without relatively high Skywards status ....ie Gold or above, as mentioned by lighthand.

The fact is, op-ups these days are not given on some sort of request basis, but are invariably pre-determined by flight control within defined criteria.

If you're really keen to get a bigger seat, then the reality is you will need to stump up cash or miles.

(no doubt someone will now pop up to say that they were upgraded on their very first flight with EK, in the same way that people win the lottery .....)
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by jetwings
subject2load: thank you. My concern is whether it is done in starting point or at the connection. IN my last 4 flights on EK, got upgraded two times in-spite of no skywards first time and Blue second time. But both if the times either DXB is origin or destination but not transit.
To confirm myself: is it fair to assume that the second leg will be upgraded (if at all) at DXB Gate.. but not check in as one will not check in at the transit.
Am I correct?

Sorry.. I am sort of newbie in flying and here also..
It is done by someone sitting in an office or in front of a terminal somewhere, whom you will most likely never see - departure control for DXB and at outstations is separate, and is done on a per flight basis.

You find out if your seat assignment has been changed if, when your boarding pass is scanned at a connected station, there is an inconsistency between the seat assigned in the system and the one printed on your boarding pass - the actual point at which it is done is not relevant. It may have been done one or two days before, or 30 minutes before departure.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:00 am

Thumbs up

Your are spot on. Thank you!
You find out if your seat assignment has been changed if, when your boarding pass is scanned at a connected station, there is an inconsistency between the seat assigned in the system and the one printed on your boarding pass - the actual point at which it is done is not relevant. It may have been done one or two days before, or 30 minutes before departure.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:02 am

Hi jetwings, well I'm not sure you need any advice from me.

I don't know what the exact circumstances were ....but if you have already received two op-ups out of four sectors - and without status - then the gods must be shining on you !! That's a 50% hit rate, something which not too many people reach in a lifetime of flying ! So, you're either destined for an amazing run of ongoing fortune OR you've had your quota for the next five years.....

All I can offer re your question is that the first station (is XYZ an actual code ...) will not want to make any decisions that could conflict with operational requirements at the following point, ie DXB.

Others here will provide more guidance.

EDIT - eternal to the rescue, as usual ......my post crossed, I should have waited...!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:33 am

That's a 50% hit rate, something which not too many people reach in a lifetime of flying ! So, you're either destined for an amazing run of ongoing fortune OR you've had your quota for the next five years.....
All I can offer re your question is that the first station (is XYZ an actual code ...) will not want to make any decisions that could conflict with operational requirements at the following point, ie DXB.
50% hit rate just because that was a very very busy route... Also, 2 out of 4 is small sample to judge my luck
XYZ is imaginary, ,

Thanks for the info.

PS: I am not expecting upgrade in the next flight, but just wanted to check how it happens (if at all) in case its for second leg of the journey. (which was already answered by eternal already )
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:56 am

Well you seem to have a good hold on reality jetwings (in contrast to some folk who come on to enquire about op-ups .....). Have a pleasant trip, wherever you sit ^

Re the imaginary XYZ stuff ......it just got me a little intrigued ......on the one hand, you told us that your flights are already booked and that the first sector is 4 hours duration ; yet (for whatever reason) you then decided to keep the origin airport a secret .....!!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:06 am

you then decided to keep the origin airport a secret .....!!
Yeah! Am on a top secret mission.. j/k
XYZ=HYD (India)
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:49 am

FWIW for DXB departure, departure control changes seats at last minute mostly, given that transit nature of their passengers - even one delayed flight can cause a lot of last minute empty seats so no need for op-ups.

Last edited by eternaltransit; Jan 7, 2016 at 12:19 pm Reason: spelling etc
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
I have an upcoming Y trip on EK412 (A380-300 Dubai -Syd) and would welcome advice about the seat plan.

On the seatplan only a few seats are showing in the rear cabin - I don't mean that most are already occupied but that most of the cabin is white space with only 9 seats showing (all occupied - exit rows plus 3 scattered throughout cabin). The front and middle cabins are almost fully allocated. Is the rear cabin likely to open up at OCLI or is there another reason for this whiteout?

Many thanks
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Skywards (Platinum) / British Airways EC (Silver) / Alfursan (Silver)
Originally Posted by copperfield27
I have an upcoming Y trip on EK412 (A380-300 Dubai -Syd) and would welcome advice about the seat plan.

On the seatplan only a few seats are showing in the rear cabin - I don't mean that most are already occupied but that most of the cabin is white space with only 9 seats showing (all occupied - exit rows plus 3 scattered throughout cabin). The front and middle cabins are almost fully allocated. Is the rear cabin likely to open up at OCLI or is there another reason for this whiteout?

Many thanks
That's confusing, EK Y on lower decks are 10 abreast so if you're seeing only 9 seats then that's not even a complete row.

If you meant 9 rows in the back of Y then that's probably correct, the white space at the back is likely the staircase & toilets.

If you prefer to sit at the back and it's not currently available then I would advise picking your second preference online and then checking in at the airport to see if anything has become available. Beware of the noise from the upstairs bar and galley if you do decide to sit at the back.

I'm sure you meant A380-800 also ��

Happy travels ��

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.