Complain or not? Is it worth it?

Old Mar 20, 16, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Qatar Airways
Complain or not? Is it worth it?

Had a strange experience flying Doha - DXB, Tuesday night. It was my 1st leg of a flight to Spain.

Plane was due to leave about 23.30, but during the safety video we lost power. Could see that the cabin crew were a bit confused looking around at each other. There were about 70 people on the whole plane.

Captain got on the PA and announced that the external power (auxiliary power unit had a fault) anyway, plunged into darkness and we try again. This went on back / forth for about an hour and a half for what should be a 40 min flight. Then they had to iron out all the glitches this had thrown up on the computers.

Now, I'm not for a second denying that safety was the utmost here but is it worth me complaining to Emirates?

I suppose I'm just trying to be cheeky and hope they offer me 1,000,000 Skywards miles as compensation.
Old Mar 20, 16, 1:04 am

Based on the information provided in the post, I'd not complain.
Old Mar 20, 16, 3:59 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
I don't think a complaint is justified here as you have acknowledged it was primarily an issue of safety. I assume you got your connecting flight ok? Based on my one experience of raising an issue with EK I doubt you will get anything other than a stock reply - I don't think they are in the habit of throwing miles around in response to complaints.
Old Mar 20, 16, 4:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I agree - unless you missed your flight you have no complaint - it's a safety issue and that needs to come before all else.
Old Mar 20, 16, 4:20 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
What would be exactly the nature of your complain ?
Emotional stress ? Incapacity to watch your favorite film ? Risk of epilepsy (due to flashing light) ? Shorter lounge time at DXB ?
If you arrived on time, safe and sound at your final destination (Spain), you have no ground. Even EU regulations can do nothing about that.

Just out of curiosity, what frame type was it ?
Old Mar 20, 16, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Qatar Airways
Originally Posted by ioto1902 View Post
What would be exactly the nature of your complain ?
Emotional stress ? Incapacity to watch your favorite film ? Risk of epilepsy (due to flashing light) ? Shorter lounge time at DXB ?
If you arrived on time, safe and sound at your final destination (Spain), you have no ground. Even EU regulations can do nothing about that.

Just out of curiosity, what frame type was it ?
We were on the ground for about 2 hours with doors closed I would say in total.

You're all correct, I was only going to have a moan for the sake of moaning. Thankfully the plane was empty, we all had tonnes of room for a wander round.

Made my connecting flight in good time. Just meant I couldn't spend as long as I wanted to in the lounge at DXB, not that that mattered.

Thank you!
Old Mar 20, 16, 7:09 am

Sometimes this happens and is out of the hands of the airline - just one of those things. Best case you get a "sorry, these things happen, sir" email from Customer Affairs, worst case, they put a note on your Skywards file that you are a problem customer who complains about non-issues. No real benefit to you in writing in, I think.

Chalk it up the things that happen when flying!
Old Mar 20, 16, 7:48 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
I really cannot understand people who complain about the most minor of inconveniences. As they say, in life SH*T Happens, just deal with it
Old Mar 20, 16, 8:32 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
My first take was not to do or say anything.

Two hour delay sitting on plane. Maybe... but doubt I would bother.

I know some would send off an email and hope for some miles.
Old Mar 22, 16, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
When people complain about faulty reading lights, no IFE and get courtesy miles, I say go ahead and try your luck.
Old Mar 23, 16, 2:51 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by isle11 View Post
When people complain about faulty reading lights, no IFE and get courtesy miles, I say go ahead and try your luck.
This is EK, not BA

Search this Thread
Search Engine: