Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Are there any "strategies" to position yourself for an Op Up?

Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Not sure if any have been verified, but are there any strategies to position yourself for an op up?

I am silver, will be gold after one leg of my next flight (which is tomorrow). Am debating whether I should do online check in....I know that from a hotel perspective online check in is usually the death knell to any possible upgrade chance.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Not sure if any have been verified, but are there any strategies to position yourself for an op up?

I am silver, will be gold after one leg of my next flight (which is tomorrow). Am debating whether I should do online check in....I know that from a hotel perspective online check in is usually the death knell to any possible upgrade chance.
Fly a lot on busy routes and be platinum!

There is a whole upgrade thread on this - opups are generally done at the last moments ie at the gate. Online check in confirms travel so you are more likely to be upgraded - my friend who was silver got upgraded at T-24 on a very oversold flight to the UK.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply sorry to make my own thread on this. I will check in online and keep my fingers crossed!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:08 am
Suspended

Smart dress. Nigh-on guaranteed every time.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nickolash27
probably my biggest downfall...not the snappiest dresser
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Skywards
if the flight is overbooked by several passengers they do the upgrade as per status, dont worry
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:41 am

Hahahaha

Wait, you aren't serious right? (just have to check, this is the internet after all...!)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Don't worry. Next time you're in an Emirates F cabin, take a look around at your fellow pax and you'll see that not too many are fashionistas !

Better to focus on working your way up the status ladder where EK is concerned. Especially out of DXB.

And in the meantime, never forget the immutable law of OP-ups. The less effort you put into strategies and/or "positioning yourself" ....... the more likely you are to strike lucky .....
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Hahahaha

Wait, you aren't serious right? (just have to check, this is the internet after all...!)
You mean it doesn't work for you?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:51 pm

I think what he means is that we all know that dress codes have long since become irrelevant.

(although ..... if the 1980's and the old days of 'SFU' notes ever make a comeback ......)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:57 pm

I usually turn up in a wedding dress and claim it's my honeymoon, but that never seems to work...

subject2load - some ground handling agents for EK still do use SFU and NSFU, just very very quietly
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I usually turn up in a wedding dress and claim it's my honeymoon, but that never seems to work...
I tried that once...

I was let off with a caution.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Depends if you are a man or a woman.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by subject2load
I think what he means is that we all know that dress codes have long since become irrelevant.

(although ..... if the 1980's and the old days of 'SFU' notes ever make a comeback ......)
I know, got op-upped to Suites on SQ on Monday and was a bit embarrassed about my scruffiness.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:12 am

I know, got op-upped to Suites on SQ on Monday and was a bit embarrassed about my scruffiness.
Proof positive that they're not at all picky who they upgrade on SQ these days, not like it used to be. In fact the scruffier the better......

Hard to believe that some folk still waffle on about "Smart dress" being a "nigh-on guaranteed" strategy for Op-ups.....

Like in post # 4

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.