New 777 J seat announced

Old Mar 11, 16, 1:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ashkale View Post
After several years took a J ek flight as a mh codeshare..7 abreast on 777 omg..is this a bad joke?

Like ba club world etc etc...

Fly 380 if you want direct access or ahem pick an aisle seat.
Old Mar 11, 16, 1:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m3red View Post

Like ba club world etc etc...

Fly 380 if you want direct access or ahem pick an aisle seat.
Oh no - not 3 across on a BA 777, but 4 across in the centre ( 2-4-2 configuration )
Old Mar 11, 16, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Oh no - not 3 across on a BA 777, but 4 across in the centre ( 2-4-2 configuration )
And if you sit in a rear facing middle seat you get to look lovingly at a stranger all flight or have that annoying divider go up and down

Give me a b or j and k with the wife over club world but that's another topic
Old Mar 11, 16, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Give me a b or j
lol could go places with that remark...sorry couldn't resist
Old Mar 11, 16, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
lol could go places with that remark...sorry couldn't resist
Just imagine that over a BA CW divider...could be awkward...but the seat config is facing each other...
Old Mar 11, 16, 10:54 am

Declining seat standards in business class?

Not sure if anyone else noticed the same? On my flight from ORD to DXB my business class seat was damaged, the panel on the inside had ripped of to reveal gobs of rubber cement or similar adhesive. Additionally my seat belt latch had been damaged to the point that they had to call maintenance to fix it.

Now on my connection to Singapore I notice that the cradle for the tablet thing is cracked and jagged.

Seems like they should be paying closer attention....

Last edited by ZBigFam; Mar 11, 16 at 10:54 am Reason: Spelling!
Old Mar 11, 16, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
UA also has 2-4-2 in C class on some (most?) 777s. If 7 across is a "bad joke", what is 8 across?
TK also has 7 across, BTW.
Old Mar 11, 16, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
It's a very fair comment as regards paying closer attention.

Emirates, as you will know, now boasts one of the largest fleets amongst global carriers - which is quite something considering it has only operated since 1985. Overall, it is also one of the (maybe THE ....?) very youngest fleets, such that its aircraft are mostly in good condition.

In terms of 'fixtures & fittings', my general impression of EK over the years I have flown them remains very positive. That said, on some recent sectors I have certainly noticed signs of wear & tear. There are a LOT of aircraft to maintain !!

I can remember one flight where my F suite was looking distinctly tired (dare I say even a tad scruffy in parts) and the only thing that stopped me reporting it formally was the fact that I had been upgraded at check-in by the station duty manager (whether I should have still reported it, notwithstanding the upgrade, is a moot point ..... each to his own and all that !)
Old Mar 11, 16, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
As a mostly solo traveller I now actively avoid any 777's that don't offer the more 'advanced' configs in J class. Admittedly it may not be possible to do so ALL the time. But most of the time ....?? Yes.

On my previous two trips down to Aus & NZ, I travelled F with EK, so obviously had no issues with middle seats or direct aisle access etc. I like EK.

However for this current trip I decided to save cash by booking J and chose to go CX whose 777 provides a welcome 1-2-1 in J ; and that was also the case with the codeshare sector from HKG, operated by Air NZ, down to AKL.

Had my first taste of the 787 last month with QR - and again, there was the comfort/spacious feel of 1-2-1 (and high quality catering) - but at significantly less cost than F class.
Old Mar 11, 16, 12:09 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
Just imagine that over a BA CW divider...could be awkward...but the seat config is facing each other...
I almost choked on that!

Fnarrr, fnarr!
Old Mar 11, 16, 12:45 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
I can remember one flight where my F suite was looking distinctly tired (dare I say even a tad scruffy in parts) and the only thing that stopped me reporting it formally was the fact that I had been upgraded at check-in by the station duty manager (whether I should have still reported it, notwithstanding the upgrade, is a moot point ..... each to his own and all that !)
I would have been inclined to report it - not out of a wish to gain any compensation (I realise that will immediately antagonise a sizable minority on FT ) but rather to increase the chance that something would be done about it before the next (or at least next but one) person had to use it.
Old Mar 11, 16, 1:16 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Flew back to BHX a couple of months ago, you know the twisty light in business? Well the end just fell off one time when I got on. The flight was delayed for about an hour while an 'engineer' was found. He came on board finally and you know what he did?

Go on, you can guess...

Picked then end of the light bulb off the floor, shoved it on the end and went.

The flight was then closed.

After take off, I went to use my light. Guess what happened? The whole thing fell off again.

Last edited by RichL; Mar 12, 16 at 1:22 am Reason: Changed from to 'to' BHX
Old Mar 11, 16, 4:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Same experience with my J seat ex DXB. Was not reclining prior to takeoff and they got an 'engineer ' in to fix it. I had boarded a bit early as I wanted to have a quick snooze before being upright for takeoff

I Hope I didn't delay the flight by 30 min as it still wouldn't recline after takeoff and they had to manually recline it anyway.
Old Mar 11, 16, 5:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Priority Club, HHonors
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
... Most pax don't make travel decisions based on the configuration of the business cabin.
Not so. In biz, cabin configuration is my #1 decision factor. From NY, where I fly long haul I generally make one connection somewhere, so usually have quite bit of airline choice. These days, airlines with 2-3-2 (apart from JAL's direct aisle access Skysuites) aren't even in the hunt group. For example, I fly EK JFK-MXP on the A380 with 1-2-1, but if they switched the route to a 777 with 2-3-2, I'd flip to Alitalia, with 1-2-1 in a heartbeat. With 2-3-2, even with an aisle seat, you have somebody climbing over you in the middle of the night to go to the lav.
Old Mar 11, 16, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by rgdave View Post
Not so. In biz, cabin configuration is my #1 decision factor. From NY, where I fly long haul I generally make one connection somewhere, so usually have quite bit of airline choice. These days, airlines with 2-3-2 (apart from JAL's direct aisle access Skysuites) aren't even in the hunt group. For example, I fly EK JFK-MXP on the A380 with 1-2-1, but if they switched the route to a 777 with 2-3-2, I'd flip to Alitalia, with 1-2-1 in a heartbeat. With 2-3-2, even with an aisle seat, you have somebody climbing over you in the middle of the night to go to the lav.
1. "most"

2. NYC has a slightly above average choice of carriers and destinations compared to a lot of the places EK flies. Places where schedule and soft product trump hard product on decision making (well the often only alternative is a local carrier with questionable planes/service)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: