New 777 J seat announced

Old Mar 9, 16, 3:45 am

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Pics?

They are making too much money and too many people are prepared to pay for an inferior hard product.
There is actually a video in Tom Otley's twitter handle; I cant upload it, dont know how; sorry.

http://twitter.com/TomOtley/status/7...831169?lang=en

Last edited by QatarA340; Mar 9, 16 at 3:47 am Reason: uploaded the link
Old Mar 9, 16, 4:59 am

EK definitely missed an major opportunity; they didn't even need to be imaginative, they could have just copied the 2-3-2 JL configuration - EK used to want to innovate and push forward products, now they can't even copy competitors who had an obvious solution to both their density and product requirements

Old Mar 9, 16, 5:05 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Seat material look nice, screen seems much bigger. Middle seat pax is completely screwed though as far as access/egress is concerned - that to me seems a big letdown.
Old Mar 9, 16, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada View Post
Seat material look nice, screen seems much bigger. Middle seat pax is completely screwed though as far as access/egress is concerned - that to me seems a big letdown.
Also the issue with aisle pax having to be jumped over for access (though clearly middle seat pax has the worst seat) - given that's a solved problem, then EK have clearly made the choice to continue with that, which reflects poorly on their planning, imho.
Old Mar 9, 16, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Looks as though I will continue to avoid EK J unless it is on the A380
Old Mar 9, 16, 6:48 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
What a disappointment.
Not only middle seats will remain crappy, window seats become less attractive as it seems harder to climber over your neighbor ...
Old Mar 9, 16, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902 View Post
Not only middle seats will remain crappy, . . .
Just looking for another bright side to these, but couples where neither like a window seat will help fill them.

Add this to the fact there's only 6 of them, so easily avoided as stated before, and you can (nearly) see the reasoning.

I must admit though, if a layout like the JL one could have been achieved, I don't see why they wouldn't, as it would give the aisle access and maintain the 2-3-2 layout.
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ioto1902 View Post
What a disappointment.
Not only middle seats will remain crappy, window seats become less attractive as it seems harder to climber over your neighbor ...
Agreed.

And (as per one of the posts in the ausbt.com coverage) it seems like EK has not only given up on being innovative any more - but lacks even the motivation to copy the best of the competition......

I was on a long Air NZ ('Business Premier') 777 sector the week before last, full cabin, where most travellers appeared to be solo. Good flight, but I really doubt the EK layout (current or new) would have appealed to many of us onboard......!

Last edited by subject2load; Mar 9, 16 at 9:18 am
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
I was on a long Air NZ ('Business Premier') 777 sector the week before last, full cabin, where most travellers appeared to be solo. Good flight, but I really doubt the EK layout (current or new) would have appealed to many of us onboard......!
Yes, but do Air NZ fly to MAN,BHX,PRG,BCN, DUS etc....?

EK are fine in J, and fly to and from lots of places their competition doesn't.
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Blue
If Emirates switched from 2-3-2 to 1-2-1, then capacity for upgrades, rewards etc. would be severely diminished on 777 routes and people on here would be up in arms about it.

You can't have it both ways. With the 777 sticking to 2-3-2, I think Emirates strategy is 3-fold

1. Keep a larger number of seats in J, means they can sell them cheaper than EY and QR but still make it up in volume

2. A larger number of J seats allows for more potential overselling in Y and they may also get expensive Y fares last minute

3. With J as 2-3-2 and F as 1-2-1, it creates a differentiation between the two products.
Old Mar 9, 16, 10:02 am

The issue that grates is not the 2-3-2 instead of 1-2-1 situation - I know it's unrealistic for EK to fly 1-2-1 given the drop in revenue that would result - but the fact that the 2-3-2 configuration they have gone for is still the same as the old one, and further, that 2-3-2 can work very well with direct aisle access for all passengers with minimal space changes (perhaps you'd remove two rows of economy to fit it all in, or have one row of reduced length J seats) but EK seem to either lack the imagination or don't care enough to do it, preferring instead to pad out the seats more, make the screen a bit shinier and have a compartment for drinks which probably isn't even refrigerated.

It's not as if they would even have issues retrofitting - the product is likely only going on new deliveries. Perhaps they'll find some imagination for when the 77X is deployed...
Old Mar 9, 16, 10:14 am

Some fair points from both DYKWIA and WouldLovetoFlyFirst.

In terms of network coverage/scheduling : agreed EK score well, in fact very well.
BUT ... by combining different carriers (not always ideal wrt FFP status/mileage accumulation, admittedly) it's possible to find better J class configs to most major destinations.

On the matter of differentiation between J and F : yes, this is certainly a possible factor. However, I'm of the view that the real battleground these days is not the matter of differentiation between the premium cabins of an individual carrier, but the overall quality of the J product across competing carriers.

And ultimately that's why I believe EK - with all their knowledge & experience - have missed a trick with this revamp.

EDIT : yes, eternaltransit, I too am more hopeful for the 777X, where (I would like to think) EK will surely want to raise their game.
Old Mar 9, 16, 4:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

The Design Air has published a full set of photos...

http://thedesignair.net/2016/03/09/e...uld-be-better/
Old Mar 9, 16, 5:04 pm

Thanks for posting Prospero ^

In short :

Contemporary-looking seat ; Outdated config.

After such a long wait, I sense the disappointment is widespread.
Old Mar 9, 16, 5:50 pm
HB7

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Qantas FF, Etihad Guest.
New 777 J seat to be announced soon

Definitely disappointing from EK.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: