FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Obeying Flight Attendent Request to stand during take off (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1749758-obeying-flight-attendent-request-stand-during-take-off.html)

Lucky_man Feb 28, 2016 5:43 pm

Obeying Flight Attendent Request to stand during take off

I was comfortably sitting during Taxi for take of on QF8405 (emirates) last night. FA walking to her takeoff seat noted I had taken my shoes off. She told me shoes had to be on for take off and landing. I missed that in the briefing but now was not the time for argument. She said I had to put them on. They are mini hiking boots and I told her I would have to stand to put them on. She said yes I had to put them on. So there I was propping myself up trying to get a pair of hiking boots on when we swung around and went straight into the takeoff roll. It's quite some effort to get a pair of shoes on in this situation. I was in my seat well before rotation.

I spoke to the customer service manager afterwards. She said she would talk to the FA because there was no such rule. The issue was that my shoes were not secured and the FA could have just put them in the overhead.

Not to mention she could have just asked me to hold them.

So is there a point where obeying an FA is not a good idea?

I also asked why the seat belt sign had been on for 4 hours but they were still providing service and people getting up. She said she would find out. She came back and said it was fine to get around - they had just put it on because a lot of people in economy were getting up and about. NOt what I expect from a 1st world full service carrier.

og Feb 28, 2016 6:05 pm

I've witnessed a UA FA telling someone to take ear bud / earphones out of ears during take off and landing because they might cause strangulation.

As for shoes, I'd only remove them after successful takeoff.

Lucky_man Feb 28, 2016 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by og (Post 26258223)
I've witnessed a UA FA telling someone to take ear bud / earphones out of ears during take off and landing because they might cause strangulation.

As for shoes, I'd only remove them after successful takeoff.

I dont think it is too important eitherway. If a takeoff fails disorderly you will need to get them off for the slide exit.

russmeyergirl Feb 28, 2016 6:13 pm

It's commonsense if nothing else. In the event there is an incident you need to have your shoes on to get off the plane. It's the same as the tray table and seat back rule. It's for your own safety - she was doing the right thing.

og Feb 28, 2016 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lucky_man (Post 26258243)
I dont think it is too important eitherway. If a takeoff fails disorderly you will need to get them off for the slide exit.

Only if you are wearing high heels or spurs IIRC.

DownUnderFlyer Feb 28, 2016 7:48 pm

[mod hat] As this is about an Emirates flight I will move this to the right forum [/mod hat]

kq747 Feb 28, 2016 9:30 pm

I always keep my shoes on during takeoff and landing and make sure window blinds are up. These two "rules" are mentioned by some carriers during the safety briefing/video or by an additional announcement by a FA especially when cabin lights are dimmed, but they are in the minority. It is just good practice I think.

NoStressHere Feb 28, 2016 9:46 pm

Yes, I leave mine on until we are airborne. I also try to wear slip on shoes when flying to make it easy to take on and off for potty time, security, etc.

Earbuds? Best reason to at least have one out is to hear any special announcements.

Was the FA being a power hungry pain the ...? Yep. But, not worth messing with her.

extramileage Feb 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lucky_man (Post 26258121)

I spoke to the customer service manager afterwards. She said she would talk to the FA because there was no such rule. The issue was that my shoes were not secured and the FA could have just put them in the overhead.

Not to mention she could have just asked me to hold them.

Actually, having no loose items such as shoes on the ground is enforced pretty regularly on EK flights (at least in J on 777 where there is no stowage under the seat in front of you), but she should have given you the opportunity to stow the shoes in the overhead compartment or even do it for you.

Airvan00 Feb 29, 2016 3:29 am

Keep your shoes on, unless you are an Indian fire walker.

stargold Feb 29, 2016 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Airvan00 (Post 26259690)
Keep your shoes on, unless you are an Indian fire walker.

Plus broken glass, shredded metal, etc... :o

It's just good common sense to keep your shoes on. In fact, after the SQ006 incident in 2000 (trying to take off from wrong runway), Singapore Airlines introduced a separate pair of "ground shoes" for their female flight attendants to be worn during take-off and landing, after it transpired that the previous footwear did not provide the adequate protection in an emergency evacuation.

KudosNI Feb 29, 2016 5:29 am

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 26259770)
Singapore Airlines introduced a separate pair of "ground shoes" for their female flight attendants to be worn during take-off and landing, after it transpired that the previous footwear did not provide the adequate protection in an emergency evacuation.

I've noticed Emirates FA's also changing footwear after take-off. Perhaps a comfort thing, am not sure.

DYKWIA Feb 29, 2016 6:02 am

Originally Posted by KudosNI (Post 26259934)
I've noticed Emirates FA's also changing footwear after take-off. Perhaps a comfort thing, am not sure.

Yes, they change into their working (flat) shoes.

jackiedada Feb 29, 2016 7:11 am

I don't think they really care in Y - I typically take off my shoes the first thing after I get to my seat. On a 777J, the FA mentioned that the area in front of the seat needs to be clear during take off (I was in 6K) - she put the blanket that I had thrown down into the O/H rack and put my shoes in the shoe storage box. I didn't have to do anything.

YuropFlyer Feb 29, 2016 7:41 am

Even if it's not enforced, common sense tells you to wear your shoes during takeoff and landing. Regarding seat belt sign, again, common sense tells you that you should always wear it even if the sign isn't on. But since many people seem to be completely lacking common sense, the captain often keeps the sign on. As an experienced flyer, you notice easily that as long as FAs are doing service, and no "cabin crew take your seats" (or similar announcements) are to be heard, it's nothing to worry about.